Madness or a new adventure - jumping straight in to a property purchase!

Yes I have read this article Mick it’s about the cost per SqM I was roughly working to for any contractor works. As there is no Fosse I am working on a cost of around €10,000 for that I have plenty of land at the back of the house to install that I just have to work out where to put it so as to avoid it affecting the natural spring and and the well aquifer. We will do what we can ourselves and are in no hurry to complete it so have the time available to us. Recognising there are certain deadlines we will have to meet or negotiate with the Marie on.

1 Like

€10,000 for a self installed fosse? Why. There are plenty of contractors around who will do an excellent job for a lot less than that.

1 Like

We paid about 10,000 euros about 3 years ago for a contractor to install a compliant fosse sufficient for a 4 double bedroom house (even though we only have 2 bedroom at the moment it allowed for extras to be added).

If you are looking at doing this yourself you will be able to save money - it didn’t look particularly complex to do. If I had to do another one I would build it myself next time.

I agree with the comment about the cart by @mick - it would certainly be worth taking care of it.

1 Like

Yes there are a number of very lovely items that come with the house and I’m very aware of the value of them believe me. There are many more yet to discover I’m sure. It’s very exciting and will be hard work but we are prepared for the long haul and look forward to the rewards in time.

1 Like

No Martin that’s where I know my limit stops that’s for a professional install. I can’t afford to get that bit wrong as I have a natural spring on my land that is the start of the feed for the river through the valley so I can’t afford to pollute it so I need a professional to site it and get it right.

Wish we could turn the clock back Brian, would love another challenge like that but after having restored two we are both getting a bit old in the tooth to take on another one, we are looking to downsize now and put our feet up but there is a little bit of envy in me.

2 Likes

Hi Brian

One word of advice… SPANC will be the folk who decide what goes where, when it comes to sanitation and drainage. So, perhaps best to get them onside fairly quickly… their initial visit costs around 80€ and will be money well-spent. That visit will “open” the dossier… you and SPANC discuss the land/springs etc etc… plus how many bedrooms are proposed… and come to an amicable agreement about which system to install and where… including the “placements” of all the bits and bobs. You can explain that the work will be done at a later date… (should be no problem, once this initial assessment/agreement has been made).

Again, there will be no problem with you doing the work yourself… so long as you get each stage inspected by SPANC (as may be necessary)… and then they will eventually certify the Fosse system as being “aux normes” … yippee :hugs:

4 Likes

I must admit it looks as though, after a lot of hard work, it will be an incredible place to live.

I wish you luck!

2 Likes

Even now a few years on it still makes me giggle to request “an appointment with the SPANC man”!

(yes that is my level!)

4 Likes

That’s great to know and brilliant advice thank you.

There’s obviously a lot to do, but it looks beautiful! The land alone is worth more than you paid, and you have basic stone structures to start with. Congratulations, and have fun!!

2 Likes

I must admit I do think we are getting a bit of a bargain in my opinion. I know we may have to spend €150,000+ over time to get it to where we want it, but we are happy with that. We aren’t looking for a big money making property we can sell on for vast profit in future, we want a simple French styled home we can live in comfortably, being as self sufficient as possible. With animals, orchards and a large vegetable plot. Our requirements are fairly simple in life. I’m fairly highly paid civil servant with a very good pension provision so we have a good income for the future to help provide for us and the ongoing house work.

3 Likes

That is good as it doesn’t seem to work that way in France. Buy a house for 50,000 then spend 75,000 and it may be worth 100,00 afterwards. In UK it seems spend 300,000 waive a paintbrush at it then sell for 400,000.

Near us financially it seems worth buying a house that has been partly renovated as the true cost of the works is never properly reflected in the asking price, and that is before any offers are made!

1 Like

Well I for one am confused by that post!

1 Like

I don’t think that was meant for Stella!

Jacqueline… I am not sure what you mean by your post… :thinking:

We are all delighted for this couple… and no-one has suggested anything to do with messing the vendor around…

I am sorry you are unwell and hope you feel better soon…

:grin::grin:

Glad it wasn’t just me, I’ve no intention of messing the vendor around. We are on tonight’s ferry :ferry: to go and see the notaire tomorrow so we aren’t looking to renage on the offer. We are really excited, I’m not quite sure what the vehement response was in response to? Sorry if I have caused offence it wasn’t my intention.

3 Likes

Well the thing that I think is an essential consideration, is to spend time researching the weather…I know an English couple living in that area, close to Laval, they have a couple of acres an fermette with outbuildings…
I would not want to be that far North, as the weather is much like Cornwall & Ireland, wet & cold in Winter…and I need less rain & a good level of Sunshine…
Depends really what you want to do there…Probably good for Market gardening ?

1 Like

Can’t understand your’ post at all. I cannot find where anyone is whinging or plannning on messing the vendor around.
Maybe it’s your illness, but if I was in a hospital bed I wouldn’t be wasting my time being hostile over little things.
Get well soon !

4 Likes

These posts are among the most positive I have seen for a while. No where have I seen what is complained about

4 Likes