Mail from the UK

So… if it was bad weather which caused the late arrival of your mail, what is it you expect Royal Mail to do? Have a word with God and ask for a more benevolent climate?
And how do you know the problem wasn’t caused on the French side of the channel? And wow… 200 people have reported problems…oh dear.
Literally millions upon millions of letters and packets are posted during December. Why do we never see people here congratulating the French and British postal services for the other 51 weeks of the year when their mail arrives on time?
Is this really all you people have to worry about?

1 Like

Christmas is a time for keeping up with those we don’t see so often.
My daughter in Germany had the same problem with a family card sent fromUK, so not France.
We don’t go mad at Christmas, it is not a time for conspicuous spending, but remembering the reason for the festival and keeping in touch with friends.
I hope it isn’t the flu’ that is making you so grumpy.

Yes…Christmas is a time for keeping in touch - and also a time for remembering those less fortunate than ourselves, and how (relatively) comfortable our lives are by comparison with others. It therefore seems a bit petty to complain about receiving mail a week or so late when one considers the generally excellent service received throughout the year…and the many other much more important issues that you could have chosen to moan about. … an illustration of how self centred and isolated the european expat community can be …

1 Like

Apart from sending a Christmas card to our grandson… we have stopped sending cards… we skype friends and family regularly… so we agreed amongst ourselves that the money could be better spent elsewhere…

Grandson always sends us a card he has made himself…and I have a treasured collection :heart_eyes: … he would simply not understand why he was not getting a card from us.

We still do get some cards from those who find it impossible to stop…

Vanessa received a hand made gift from our grand daughter (aged 6) - a pair of earrings. Vanessa set about writing a personal thank you letter to her which was very well received. Our grand daughter exclaimed to her mum “mummy, I’ve never had a letter before!” before reading every word of it aloud. Priceless! So yes, communication by letter (as opposed to texting) remains a prized feature of our lives and long may it continue.

1 Like

Kids are wonderful… and reading/writing skills are to be encouraged.

I know my daughter rations how much time grandson can spend on his electronic gadget (tablet or whatever it is) … 15 mins per day…

I was looking after him… and he solemnly asked if he could use it. Haven’t you already had your 15 minutes today??? … Oh yes, Nanna, but I didn’t use it on Monday so can I use those 15 minutes today please…??

I had to admire his thinking… but NO… the gadget stayed switched off… no sulking…thankfully… and we spent a happy day together.

My heart flipped when I later read his diary (with his permission) he had written… “I love my Nanna. She is very strict. She makes me laugh.”

1 Like