Maison des Chameaux needs your help

Following extensive flooding at La Maison de Chameaux in the Gers department, SFN member Sarah Bird and her partner Paul require assistance to reconstruct the devastated farm. They need help to rebuild animal shelters and enclosures asap. If you can help in any way please get in touch.

http://www.lamaisondeschameaux.com/

From Sarah;

Thanks guys for putting the video out there, with the water gone the full extent of the damage is HORRENDOUS - fencing all down throughout the farm - 2nd bridge across the river has gone, and a huge clear up operation. I'm throwing my pride out of the window, and putting the shout out, I wondered if you may help, just by asking if there's anyone in the area who has wood we can build animal shelters from, fence posts or old bits of fencing that are stuck in the back of the barn for the tip, or being unused, if they could drop them to us, we really appreciate all the help we can get. Also if they could drop them to the front gate (we just don't have the time to take in visitors) but with an envelope with their name and email address in - I will in turn send them family tickets to the farm as a thank you!!

View Larger Map

Gordon,

Sarah has accepted the poles. Please send me an email with your contact details as I assume that you may be in a position to offer transport. There are approx. 300 poles, 180-190 cm long, 5-10 cm diameter. My guess as to volume is that it will require minimum two round trips in a pickup truck or one in a small lorry. Cheers,

An enormous thank you to you all for your support and kindness, your emails of good will, your phone calls, we have been enormously humbled and astounded by the support from our local community and the Survive France community thank you. To Jef - thank you for your mail - I'm sorry I'm still trying to get back to everyone, if you think the posts are solid enough yes please - we will be able to put them to good use, ideally, anything that is 2 - 3 meters is amazing, and to the gentleman who has offered to deliver, again - yes please we would be incredibly grateful, if it's ok with you, I'll leave you to liaise, we're here all the time so there's always someone to off load at this end. I'm sorry - but due to our enormous workload, I'm trying to email everyone back personally, my apologies if you're one of those people who I haven't been able to reply to yet - but at first light ( and after my first coffee) we're out until the daylight leaves us and then too tired to get online. THANK YOU ALL from the bottom of our hearts for your kindness and support, and also thanks to James and Catherine for highlighting our "plight"!! We're working around the clock, and aim to be open as normal for the Easter holidays.

Gordon,

I've been away from the house all day. I will take an axe to them tomorrow and confirm.

Sorry that I can't be of much help up here in Northern Bretagne but my best wishes for a rapid recovery go out to you and I hope the rest of your year goes brilliantly.

Sorry, too far to be of any help, but our hearts go out to you. I really hope help arrives and you can begin the reparation of your wonderful farm...

....so sorry to see what has happened to your farm, cannot even begin to imagine what you're going throuh, and as beautiful as nature can be as nasty she can be. We are nowhere near you, and all we can do is sending positive thoughts and hope you get lots of help....all the best Lis

Jef, are the fence poles solid enough to be driven into the ground or are they rotten? If Sarah says they will be suitable let me know via the site

I don't have any wood or fencing and I'm not an artisan but I do have lots of free time so if you need a body to help out, then give me a shout and I'm happy to come up and do whatever I can.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I have a substantial lot of fence poles that I was going to turn into fire wood, but this sounds like a better use. They are very old, but have been properly stacked so a priori should still be usable. You will, however, need to arrange transport. I am near Montcuq (46). If you're interested in pursuing this, give me a shout and I can send photos. Cheers

If I was closer I would love to help you out, but unfortunately I live in the Creuse. I cannot imagine how you must feel or even where to start with so much damage. I really hope some members here will rally round for you.