Making an Exhibition of Yourself

Hi Ross - That date is fine with us. As I say I'm not around but Ian is and its his work thats showing so its more important he is here. Just let me know how you want to take things forward. S

Neil,I think i am going to put the 14th April up on the SFN events calender as the date for the show, if i get negative response to that date i will review it.

Susan, I think i am going to put the 14th April up on the SFN events calender as the date for the show, if i get negative response to that date i will review it.

I think we need to get more interest first from exhibitors before finalising on the date but i agree the 14th seems like the best probably. I have just found the Edinburgh school dates are friday 30th march to 17th April omg so long. I think then i will go to UK for the beginning to middle or get my daughter out here in France.

So lets go for the 14th April weekend.

HI guys, The 31st March really wouldn't be that great for us as Ian finishes his show in Montauban that day and so I imagine we will be transporting stuff that weekend. We can do any weekend in April or May for that matter or earlier in March but just not the 31st. As you say the next weekend is Easter tho here in France Easter Friday is not a bank holiday but it is in the middle of the UK school holidays. I think also the school holidays commence that weekend in your region. The weekend of the 14th would be fine - I would be in the UK however Ian is around. There will still be school holidays on but I would imagine where you are, that is a bonus I was told that a Saturday is the best day to have a vernissage, that said, Ians vernissage in Montauban is on a Friday night. The last one we went to for this gallery was packed and they tend to hold them between 6 and 9.

There are 2 magazines that we get regularly, both have quite a bit of advertising in them - Beaux Arts and Art Actuel. I have hear that Beau Arts is better and seems to have more advertising.

S

Sheila, thanks and i will definitely come for that coffee soon after getting to the cold wet house.

R

Count us in for whichever weekend you decide Ross. Open invitation here in Lagrasse for coffee whenever you get here.

neil, Easter is the 1st weekend of April so i am not sure what my plans will be, here(St Laurent) or have to visit uk children etc.

We could either go for the weekend before 31st March saturday opening or the weekend of 14th April. How long do you think would suit!

I am never very sure what day is the best in France for the Vernissage and have in the past tried nearly every day and it seems to make no difference. I could be guided by what suited those who might have work committments and travel etc.

The other suggestions are good and small hanging fee is fine obviously there would be other financial contract matters with each individual exhibitor.

What is the best art magazine in France? and local ones around. When i did this all in 2003/4 i took out a years advert in a magazine called Artvues i may do so again it was really worth it for both gallery and artists as it had massive country coverage.

I will start thinking about advertising of the SFN show what shall we call it!!!!!

R

April dates I think for a spring exhibition. Will be guided by you on specifics also sending in days if artists can't deliver personally and collection date as well. We could e mail pics of the paintings we would like to exhibit, say 2 per artist with sizes, for you to approve. Open day/hanging day with a bit of a SFN getogether. Also a hanging fee, say 5euros per painting to offset costs.

Sounds like a fun idea Neil - I would enjoy meeting some of the other SFN people. Great Ross that you are up for it - I doubt there will be any shortage of interest.

Hi Ross, I think a joint exhibition sounds a far more practical idea for both the artists and yourself, especially if you are looking at April. It takes a lot of work to get ready for a sole exhibition as Ian, my husband, is discovering - the gallery owners have asked for 40 paintings in order that they can choose 30 plus some sculptures. If you would be interested in his work for your opening exhibition, we would like to get involved. I'll send you an email separately with some of his more up to date paintings that are not as yet on his website. I look forward to hearing from you and hope you have a safe trip.

Neil, Thats a really good idea and i would be more than willing to do so. Lets start by suggesting such here on art department to see what interest there is and what type of work comes forward. Suggest some dates for me and i will pencil them into a calendar to go up on the website shortly, work in progress.

Ross, looks like a good space. We turned our barn into a gallery/shop for the last couple of Christmases and at Easter. Trouble is Mouhous consists of 39 people off the beaten track so no passing trade. However with a bit of publcicty we sold a reasonable amount and offered mince pies which shocked agood few of our french visitors!

Would you be willing to hold and exhibition of work by the SFN art folk? You are about 4 hours by motorway (from Pau) and it would be an excuse to take a bit of time off.

neil, I am in St Laurent de la Cabrerisse 11220. Not yet tho! I am travelling down to the village for the 1st week of February.

The gallery website is www.ecossedoc.eu

My telephone until landline will be +44 07752612607.

Hi Ross, whereabouts are you? Sounds like a great idea.

OOps sorry did not mention thoughts on Henry's work like the more abstract and the one with the relief of faces more so than others.

R

Sheila, I have booked my flight to London for next Monday then will be driving with an old 2CV the following week so be in St Laurent about the 1st 2nd Feb.

Will obviously have lots to sort like electricity phone water etc so by end of week will be in a relaxed state and we can catch up.

I think that i will try for an opening in early April with a mixed show then a series of individual shows over the summer if i can find enough artists to exhibit!

See you soon.

Ross

Jeanette,

Please do. I think that a mixed show as the new opening will be the best for a short period of 3 weeks probably from beginning of April, then some short individual shows if i can find enough artists.

R

Hi again Ross. Looking forward to meeting you when you finally get here! In the meantime, Henry and I are more than happy to offer a contribution to the opening. Henry's (new and improved) website is www.henryblackmore.com. Some of his more abstract paintings are currently on show in Lagrasse in our friend Laurent's restaurant. Laurent took some photographs of the paintings, which can be seen here: http://www.letempsdescourges.fr/blog/

Talk soon.

Sheila

Hi all this is an interesting discussion and one which in the coming months form about April i hope to be able to contribute in a practical way by offering exhibition space not far from Sheila. The gallery EcosseD"Oc will be reopening then.

I am looking for work for the opening so please feel free to send me examples of current work and what sort of thoughts you might have on how it might work as single person shows or collections. I am open to suggestions my only criteria is from a personal point i prefer abstract painting and sculpture and will also consider video installation work. I would also like to get the village to consider allowing us to site sculpture throughout it and have a small summer sculpture fair!

Contact me at the gallery website, www.ecossedoc.eu