Marmite availability

I’ve never actually seen Vegemite around here. There is Marmite in the SuperU for local Brits but that’s it. Vegemite is made differently, isn’t it? Does it have the same B12 properties? (And is it any more palatable? :rofl: )

Just use miso……wonderful stuff and packed full of B12. Viandox also has lots of B12 I believe but since it is meat based we don’ use it.

1 Like

Ah yes - my partner likes miso… I’m not a fan!

There are lots of different sorts of miso and there are national differences even between theoretically the same types. Test and see. I use miso a lot, you might like it in something like ssamjang (mixed with pepper paste and other things as a dipping sauce) which you can buy ready-made, people who ‘don’t like miso’ often do like ssamjang.

Vegemite, bovril, viandox, all those other things have a nasty taste underlying the delicious umami so I don’t like them - but I like marmite.

But les goûts et les couleurs, eh.

2 Likes

Thank you @vero - I’d never heard of ssamjang so will look out for it. I also didn’t know there were different sorts of miso. My goodness, the things I’ve learned on here :smiley:

2 Likes

Mission accomplished au Comptoir Irlandais. Bought 2 jars. To be sure. To be sure.

5 Likes

@AngelaR
This might be interesting :blush:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/blog/2686/what-is-miso.html

2 Likes

Vegemite is vegetable. I think I saw it on sale once in Toulouse but forgot where. Otherwise Tesco…or Australia :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is most interesting, @vero - thank you!

1 Like

Now that would be a brilliant idea!!! No cover required from me :rofl:

Yes loads of B12 and delicious! I can eat Marmite but prefer Vegimite for sure.

1 Like

Like it or hate it…there are 148 threads mentioning marmite with three as the actual thread heading on SF…can any other product match that…I’m a devotee and have standard, chilli, XO, peanut and did have Guinness on the self, and I even risk awaking gout to eat it, now thats love!

2 Likes

Yesterday a French neighbour asked OH if she missed anything from the uk. She replied no but he persisted and asked about marmite! Turns out his first wife was English…

I have never tried those variants, only the standard flavour, but I was sent a pot of lovely marmite with golden shimmery stuff in it, which was a thing of great beauty and fascination :heart_eyes:

1 Like