Masks - to wear on not to wear

I read that it has tiny holes in it to enable him to breathe…so not much protection at all in reality.

Yeah well almost no one round here is wearing masks and we ate out on Father’s Day in a beachside restaurant where there was zero social distancing and no one (including the staff) was wearing masks.

I developed Covid type symptoms last week - had a test mid week which was negative but my GP says she is unconvinced by the nasal swab method - apparently the false negative rate is around 20%.

I am definitely quite / very ill and feel dire. So if it isn’t Covid - it is probably the pig flu which is en route apparently- or Ebola - or Something - so I would say with the benefit of hindsight - wear your masks everywhere - all the time. People are being way too complacent and if this can poleaxe me , then I can only imagine how bad it is for people who are BAME, male, diabetic, overweight, immune suppressed, smokers etc etc.

3 Likes

I am sorry to hear that Cat.
Rest as much as you can, I am sure you will have help.
Jim and I are thinking of you and sending lots of love.

1 Like

Yuk - really sorry to hear that, get well soon.

The trouble is that wearing a standard surgical (or home made) mask does not protect the wearer very much.

A properly fitting FFP3 mask and eye protection does protect the wearer, but it winds up looking a bit OTT for general use.

Personally I would like to see a blanket “wear masks in indoor shared spaces” rule but it seems only Scotland has gone for that.

4 Likes

I am so sorry to hear you are feeling ill. Hope you feel better very soon! Sending best wishes and healing thoughts.

2 Likes

I add my good wishes for recovery to those of others, Cat. And concern too for your James.

You say “People are being way too complacent…” and I think you are dead right (or lively right if that reads better :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::mask:)

It’s a terrible illness, and familiarity breeds the kind of contemptuous disregard that is pointing to another more serious outbreak. One can almost smell it. It is mindless but embodies an instinct for human tissue as a source of energy, and an imperative need to multiply.

Politicians who anthropomorphise it as “the enemy” are fools, because it is superhuman until we can understand its non-human genius, and, perhaps, engineer some kind of macabre, alien armistice IMO.

I think I was infected with Covid 19 and seriously ill in early March. My wife too. We can not be sure we have recovered and/or that we are not infectious still. I still sneeze occasionally and sometimes have a nez qui coule.

Nobody knows definitively how this disease progresses, hibernates, remits, recurs or speads. We take every precaution at home and on our excursions outside it. We both wear masks outdoors. I don’t give a flying fuck what others think. This isn’t going to go away, and there might be worse to come. The days of tripping gaily and without a care through the world are over IMO. Possibly never to return.

And Climate Change is waiting in the wings. There’s no clip-on prophylactic for that. Funny how it’s dropped below the radar, except for a few pooh-brains… you know who you are :hugs:

Get well soon Cat, I need you and we all need SF in this mad, bad, sad world.

5 Likes

I’m liking your post… not because I like the situation you find yourself in… but I very much like the fact that you are prepared to share your experiences.

I sincerely hope that you will feel better soon…

:relaxed: :relaxed:

1 Like

Sorry to hear you’ve been poleaxed Cat and here’s to a speedy recovery. Make sure you get plenty of sleep.

Yesterday morning first thing in Leclerc there were times when every single person in sight was wearing a mask. Today (Saturday) late afternoon - less than 10%.

The difference? The age of the wearers. Shopping first thing during the week is an elderly person’s behaviour. Saturday afternoon - young families.

If I get COVID I’m blaming the family walking towards me as I was leaving - the father/husband sneezed loudly and sprayed exactly the space I was heading for to get to my car!!! I will blame him and the horse fly I’m hoping to kill (yes, I know I’ve said elsewhere we shouldn’t kill things, but there are limits!) DIY horsefly killing trap required an emergency trip to Leclerc for: black paint, a ball, a ham cover and a large plastic bottle.

1 Like

Get well soon x

1 Like

Hope you are aware of the protective effects of vit D Cat. Think it’s been covered on here. Hope you feel better soon. My wife and I have both had Covid - rather different experiences.

1 Like

Yes I am thanks. I am also taking some plant based mixture from the GP ( I think it is elder and something) and zinc.

2 Likes

Hope-You-Feel-Better-Soon

2 Likes

Wishing you a speedy recovery Cat :pray::hugs:

2 Likes

Coronavirus airborne. Don’t take off your mask any time soon!

1 Like

One poo brain has been tested for the virus because he has symptoms - Bolsonaro, perhaps it is just a little 'flu?

May he be gathered into Abraham’s bosom.

So it seems that I have A Virus not The Virus, plus thyroid issues and am back to the doctors tomorrow.

Aaargh.

Bon courage :bouquet:

2 Likes

Something doctors are very good at.
It won’t change your life.

1 Like