May says Brexit deal will stop EU citizens 'jumping queue' into UK

More subtle propaganda against the EU.

1 Like

Jumping the queue to work picking and packing vegetables, caring for the elderly and all the other jobs Brits don’t want to do.

2 Likes

So different from the friends we have here in the Clunysois who are going to help us with the paperwork to become French citizens.
Who would want to live in UK now?

3 Likes

Some of us don’t have a choice

3 Likes

… any more :frowning:

Truth!

Y’know the more I think about that comment and the more I think about the barely disguised xenophobia within, the more I regret that JRM’s campaign for a vote of no confidence has turned out to be a damp squib.

She has to get the Withdrawal Agreement through the house yet.
Plenty of time to get her come uppance.
Why she bought the DUP I can’t understand.
She must have known that there would be trouble down the line.
Much better to bite the bullet and get it over with in the beginning when she had some semblance of credibility.
Mind you all those deluded fools who think that the 27 are going to roll over just because the Labour Party or the gang of five think that they can do better are going to be mightily disappointed.

If you want a little clarity on the immigration issue you could do worse than read

It was always the case that many of the genuine problems that “Vote Leave” campaigned on were problems of the government’s own making.

Once in power May should have reminded everyone that the referendum was advisory, distanced herself from Cameron’s pledge to send the letter the day after the vote, imposed maximal EU permitted controls on migration as soon as practicable and done some proper negotiating with the EU.

Of course most of that is easier to say with hindsight but what we got was that she followed poor advice regarding the general election, listened to the far right and ultra Brexiteers too much, weakened herself by loosing her parliamentary majority, tied herself up in red lines and generally left herself with little room for manoeuvre.

The threat of a no-confidence vote seems to have receded. I don’t think a leadership contest is in anyone’s interest at present not least because changing the PM won’t change our options or magically unlock some hither-to inaccessible concessions from the EU.

Similarly I don’t see a General Election as being the answer - even if it lead to a decisive victory for either of the two main parties.

I’m not sure where we go from here. It looks as though May will not get the agreement through initially at least. If she can brow-beat parliament into believing that it is her deal or no deal then it might eventually go through - and I don’t think that anyone has enough traction in an alternative to make a break through.

I don’t think a referendum is the answer either.

Basically - dark times ahead.

2 Likes

It makes a second Referendum look more probable.

1 Like

I certainly hope so.

1 Like

The girl from the Vicarage should be aware of the story of the Good Samaritan.
It is quite surprising, but after all the revelations of the ignorance of MP’s perhaps not, that they might not know that the much vaunted Australian points system of immigration actually increased the number of people moving to and allowed to enter Australia.
As there is going to be a visa scheme for agricultural and horticultural workers, more red tape for farmers and hospitals and social services are crying out loud for help to look after the increasingly elderly population, it seems to me that we will end up with just the same number of people living here, but they will all be exceptions to the rule.
Meanwhile, we, the forgotten British citizens, will lose our freedom of movement unless the EU is able to insist upon a European Green Card Scheme .

The reason is that thick people do not know they are thick. This is most evident in senior pro Brexit tories.

1 Like