Mechanical numptiness

Today’s question to the panel is

Would my 2002 Iveco 35S11 be able to run on veg oil, or used cooking oil ?
With or without mods to the vehicle ?

I’ve been told “yes!”

I, potentially, have a source of used cooking oil, nearby.
If, indeed, the answer is in the affirmative, it would be too good an opportunity to pass up.

Thank in advance

Hi Bob… I’ve just googled the question

"2002 Iveco 35S11 running on cooking oil!

came up with all sorts of answers… mostly talking about “kits”

One site talked about emissions … so not sure if it the vehicle would meet the French legal norms …

Interesting idea though… let’s see what everyone else turns up.

I did know someone in the UK who ran an old VW on chip oil. He allowed it to stand and decanted it for use, to avoid getting solid particles in the system. I have also heard that some people used new cooking oil, that was cheaper than diesel because it didn’t attract fuel duty.
It certainly works in older less sophisticated engines, but I can’t comment on the legality or the long term effect on the motor.

I think you will find it is illegal to run such a vehicle on French roads… (although is is legal in some other countries).

French farmers are OK… there is a dispensation for them to use it in their tractors for working on their fields …

here’s an interesting site… which talks about this…

1 Like

Tesco want £5 for 5l of sunflower oil at present - it will soon be cheaper to fry your chips in diesel!

1 Like

I seem to recall many years ago, a group that went by the name of “Roule ma fleur”.
I’ve Googled to try to re-find them; & they appear now to be grouped together with a bunch of other organisations…no mention of running on v.o. being illegal, though.

another link on the subject… and like my previous link… this link also says that it is illegal…

and it goes on to say how crazy that is, considering everyone is supposedly looking to “save the planet” (that sort of thing…)

https://lesbrindherbes.org/2012/09/04/rouler-a-lhuile-de-friture-mythe-ou-realite/

Perhaps there is some 2020 news on this subject.

I believe that Blue Diesel is a mixture of diesel and bio stuff …

Apparently, it’s legal if it’s mixed with diesel, but that may have changed since the article I read, was published.
Also, if stopped by the VAT men, their nose(s) are / were not deemed to be sufficiently “homologués” to determine if the vehicle is running solely on vo.

Bob…

have you got the link where it says “legal”… 'cos that’s not a mistake anyone would want to make…???

I did see that you must also tell you Insurance Co that the vehicle fuel is changed (or whatever wording it is)… they need to know just what you are putting into the diesel tank…

@anon90504988 what are your thoughts on this…

Que risque t’on à rouler à l’huile ?

I think this is it Stella

that’s an interesting link, Bob… it talks about making a declaration to the customs…

and further along it also talks about the vehicle being certified by DREAL…

that was in 2018…

all or none might be necessary in 2020…

However, I feel there must be some sort of “authorisation” necessary, or folk would simply be dumping their waste cooking oil into the car’s reservoir… :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

I should clarify Stella that my original plan was to filter it & use it in my very old & basic tractor…the idea of using it in the van was really an afterthought ; but any info on using it would be useful.

I think it’s an interesting idea… worth finding out all we can…

You won’t be the only person thinking about this, I reckon :relaxed:

Could be a big saving with a thirsty vehicle.
But the rich odour of frites may be a giveaway!
Might have following drivers salivating, and attract the attention of gendarmes. . . . .

Smelly chip oil :nauseated_face:

It appears that it gives fewer miles / km per litre ; but if it’s cheap or free then there’s little to complain about

1 Like

An interesting thread.
A few years ago I purchased some equipment from a UK company (Green Fuels ltd) which enabled me to refine the local restaurants’ used cooking oil to a useable diesel substitute.
The basic oil, if just filtered, will very quickly block fuel lines & filters due to the content of animal fats, water & other strange additives. This will happen very quickly in winter.
Cooking oil contains a thickener, glycerine, which needs to be removed too, otherwise the oil will be too gloopy to flow properly unless it is quite warm.
The process is quite simple though & the cost of the methanol, electricity & other bits meant a per litre cost of 15 centimes

I ran my Volvo V70 with it & also my military Reo M35 multifuel with it.
I was stopped once by the Gendarmes for a document check & although there was a hint of cooking in the air (my engine was still running) there was no issue with my fuel.
I am not sure of the french tax stance on personal biofuel but I can imagine the uproar if a newpaper headline read “Man punished for being environmentally friendly!”
I met other french motorists doing the same but none mentioned anything about it being illegal.

1 Like

the “illegality” was to do with the taxes which are paid on carburants… but I can only see on older threads on google… so perhaps it was thrown out of the window… :relaxed:

I don’t know about a 2002 iveco, but as I recall, veg oil or bio diesel in a modern HDI/ common rail diesel engine will quickly destroy the fuel pump which is generally a very expensive component.

ISTR Top Gear doing bio diesel in a 24 hour endurance race - it ate through all the seals which they had to replace.

https://www.topgearbox.com/cars/entertainment/top-gear/challenges/series-10-episode-9/