Medical Care in France after B-Day

I have friends who work for a mutuelle for expats named exclusive health care
https://www.exclusivehealthcare.com/
They are British and quotes within a day may be worthwhile checking this out

James, Catherine may be good for advertising? They were in the south however offices have moved to Bordeaux area I think…

1 Like

We used to be with Exclusive, but they were very expensive. Fabian got us a much better deal.

3 Likes

Ah ok, I don’t use them, but obviously heard of them as friends use the. They have been bought out by a French owner, maybe the rates have reduced? Only trying to help lol

I think we are all (probably) looking at where our money goes these days. Insurance, in all aspects, is a large outgoing and thankfully, this year, I asked @fabien to take a look at mine.

Getting the cover just right is not easy, but he has done himself proud. Found me a Health policy which does all that I want and costs a great deal less than the one I have been using for years . Galling to think how much money I may have wasted by not doing this Policy comparison (like for like) in the past. :thinking::zipper_mouth_face:

4 Likes

Hello
we were due make the move to France in December this year, we have had a property for 6 years in France and we are now ready to make the move to work and run our business there.
spanner in the works: my husband has to go for a biopsy on his protate gland after a high SPA blood test. Would we still be able to move to France ? would he be able to register on the French health system and would he get cover that included any treatment he may need to have should his biopsy require it. Or are we completely snookered, any advice would be appreciated.

Angela

Once you are registered with the French health system there will be no problem. Top up mutuelles do not take pre existing conditions into account either.

Hi David

so are you saying that we can get cover via a top up mutuelle ( if the worst case scenario occurs and my husband needs to have treatment) /

I was told that mutuelles would not give us insurance for pre existing conditions.

thanks

Angela

You can only get a mutuelle once you have entered the health system. I’m sure that they don’t take pre existing conditions into account.

Thank you David

I feel reassured now

Kind regards

Angela

A thought struck me on the way to work this morning - as random ones are wont to do.

I don’t know the precise rules for settling in the UK if you are financially self sufficient (why would I) but obviously settling in France in those circumstances requires having healthcare insurance.

In the UK private healthcare cover exists but is not a replacement for NHS care - primary care is patchy, emergency care non-existent and pre-existing conditions rarely covered.

How, exactly, does it work in France - do you need private healthcare in the UK sense (eg BUPA) or does it work more with the “normal” healthcare in France.

Don’t agree with that…
You need to talk to @fabien for confirmation but AFAIK, it is against the law to discriminate by refusing cover for pre-existing conditions.
We took out a mutuelle after I’d had a stroke and a triple bypass and these conditions are covered from inception of the cover.

I was talking about UK private health insurers who don’t, generally, cover existing conditions.

I don’t see what you are saying. Are you saying that they do take them into account and charge higher premiums but aren’t allowed to refuse cover?

My wife and I are well over the hill age-wise and we applied here in France for ‘top-up’ mutuelle cover, and I don’t recollect having to disclose any previous illnesses or chronic conditions to the insurers in order to get comprehensive cover for all medical/surgical interventions and care, with the exception of cosmetic dentistry or new spectacles.

That’s why I’m questioning what Graham posted, I think that were all saying the same thing.

But @Peter_Goble you are only as old as the hill you feel! And if you start feeling hills you have probably lost your marbles anyhow.

1 Like

Feeling hill? Tell me habout hit!

But Mat hi feel hill hevery time hi get hup hin the morning hand hevery time hi go hup the 'ill to Bedfordshire. Hit’s ‘opeless, hisn’ t hit?

1 Like

Sorry Paul… missed by a country kilometre :neutral_face:

So did I as I think you were actually replying to David.

Not at all… that would be against the law in France.