Medical Care in France after B-Day

A friend told me yesterday that he had checked his Carte Vitale on line as he is under S1 scheme. An expiration date of 29th March 2019 has been added!! Anybody else had this or just a coincidence

One reason I havenā€™t yet presented my husbandā€™s S1 -which he got in July this year.

If I were you I would encourage your friend not to look for things to worry about (why did he even check?).
Regardless of what expiry date it currently says on each individual attestation, all the many thousands of retired UK-S1 holders in France, including your friend, will be given exactly the same rights and entitlements after Brexit. Exactly what those rights and entitlements will be, wonā€™t be known until the arrangements for Brexit have been finalised. But che sera sera, and worrying about it between now and March wonā€™t help.

Is there a logic to that?
If the UK should correctly be funding his healthcare, how is it helping anyone by not letting the system function correctly?

Maybe-but there are no guarantees about S1ā€™s being honoured after Brexit are there? What happens if you present one now and after Brexit ( even if S1 is presented before ) there are problems and you need to re-apply for health cover? Please donā€™t say " this will never happen" because we donā€™t know.

I didnt say anything about him being worried!! He just said it was strange that this expiry date had appeared to coincide witb B day

As that is the date for Brexit, and no one still knows what the outcome will be for Health Care in France, it seems logical the Carte Vital will cease on that day. If a solution is found then the date would change. I would think it is foolish not to activate an S1 now, as many rights etc will be dependant on proving when residency actually began.If someone had an S1 issued this year and still has not submitted it although being resident this is really asking for trouble if illness strikes.

1 Like

We already have a CV and a CdS so not worried about problems that way but am worried about having to jump through hoops or having to start healthcare again after Brexit.

When we checked our CVs on line last week, the expiry date was 2099ā€¦

1 Like

Hereā€™s to a very long and healthy life in France !!

3 Likes

Well, if the UK should be paying for your healthcare and isnā€™t, then either you yourself or France must be. If youā€™re paying for it yourself and you prefer to keep doing that, it seems strange but thatā€™s your decision. If in fact France is paying for it and it shouldnā€™t be, thatā€™s not so fine because the French health service hasnā€™t got so much spare cash that it wants to pay for people that arenā€™t its responsibility.

Jacqueline has the right attitude, letā€™s hope we never need it :slight_smile:

Just a little story about recent health care in France.
I lived and worked in France from 2002-2013, returned to the UK, but returned to France to become resident again in September. The S1 arrived and is still being processed, but I became quite unwell about 6 weeks ago, nasty viral thing I thought . I used all the old fashioned treatments oils, inhalations, but was really ill 10 days ago. Local Generalist took my pulse 128 ! and called a clinic in Albi, and within an hour I had blood tests and was seen by a Cardiologist. Electrocardiogram and echo scan all done there and then. Heart was not the problem but deep lung infection was, now I was given the Invoice on departure [ I will reclaim later ] 148 Euros. I was taken ill again at the weekend, and ended up in Urgence, and again had the best attention + X ray and an MRI cooked in for 7 days time. There was not one moment when I had to wait, and he staff were fantastic. My point is if people want to benefit from this wonderful system they absolutely have to pay their way in France and not operate under the radar, there are so many people living in a twilight zone here, and the chickens will come home to roost. I honestly know if I had still been in the UK I would not have been seen for days. France is special and I just wish the NHS staff had the backing of a system like this.

8 Likes

We pay all we are asked to pay and to be fair until such time as I know for sure that submitting an S1 is not going to backfire on me after Brexit thatā€™s what Iā€™ll continue to do.

Hello thereā€¦

I have just checked my Carte Vitale infoā€¦ and nowhere does it give an end date such as you suggestā€¦ Iā€™ve lookedā€¦ but cannot seeā€¦

However, if print out a copy of my Attestationā€¦ that does have an end dateā€¦ of 5/11/2019ā€¦ because they only give an Attestation on a rolling 12 monthsā€¦

Hi Stella
Indeed the attestations are renewable and not everlasting.
I just downloaded mine on the ameli site, took two minutes to print out, absolutely fantastic as I need this for my application carte de sƩjour
My experience in the health service here in France has been second to none, as previously explained in previous posts.
We all have this brilliant health service her in France, better than Sweden where my brother lives, better than Australia where my sister lives, better than the uk where my younger sister livesā€¦
Today i am alive and kicking, due to this perfect health system.
There is absolutely nowhere I would rather live today.
We have to be grateful for this fantastic french health system . Whatever else we may complain about, we are on the good side of the tunnel in these doubtful brexit day so chin up everyone and enjoy the lovely life in France
Xxxxxxx

4 Likes