Message from a "tired broken-hearted vet"

I know what it’s like to have regrets/guilt but torturing yourself over something that you can’t change will just make you more miserable. I’m sorry this thread has brought back some horrible memories for you, I’m beginning to wish I hadn’t posted it!

1 Like

It’s all good Mandy…I’d read the article before you posted it here…and the take home from it is that yes without doubt if you can be with your pet at the end whether at the vet or at home then do so…it’s not easy but so much better for them if the last hand stroking them and the last voice they hear is the ones that they have loved and trusted…:heart:

2 Likes

I had to take our dog to the vet’s BUT she stayed snug and cosy in the open boot of the car (a place she loved) surrounded by my 5 daughters and me, in the arms of my eldest. And the vet came out to her with the merciful needle.

4 Likes

That was exactly how we did it when our beloved Alsation had to go. We were sick and sad for days after but it was the only sensible choice. Aggressive painful untreatable cancer.

3 Likes

[quote="Mandy_Davies, post:21, topic:22270, full:true. I’m sorry this thread has brought back some horrible memories for you, I’m beginning to wish I hadn’t posted it!
[/quote]

Your post has brought back memories for me Mandy, but has prompted me to try to put an old wrong right, by admitting I was wrong about a dear pet’s need for help, and should have listened to, my son’s deeper understanding. I caused them both unnecessary suffering, and admit to that today. Your post did that for me and for all concerned. :+1:

3 Likes

Oh Pete, another sad little story. I’m sorry xxx

We were lucky that our vet (the practice on the industrial estate in Roumazieres) came out to us. Midget had been going downhill for a long time (chronic kidney disease, arthritis, hardly any teeth) but he was still enjoying his food and his cuddles, asking us to light the fire (yes, really!) but we somehow just knew this one particular night that it could be his last, so OH slept on the sofa with him. He survived the night but then in the morning started having little fits and looked terrified. I called the vet (who knew him well) expecting him to say he’d come after surgery but he said he’s be there in half an hour, which was a bit of a shock. It was incredibly sad but at least he died in his owner’s arms, being cuddled. OH still misses him desperately two and a half years later. :frowning: