Meteo Orange Alert - Well that was (not) an anticlimax!

Ah… the Airbus Beluga that sweet little aircraft. On the ground it looks like it could never fly. Always used to look across the airfield for them when I was in and out of Toulouse every week for work.

I will take a look at the graphical thing on yr.no … Ta.

Just got home to a cup of tea and something screaming overhead. Sounds like things that looked like new secret black Mirage jets before.

Quickly checked Flightradar24 app and no, I don’t think it’s the KLM from Amsterdam to Valencia. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We have the army using our nearest small mountain as a waymarker for their flights from Dijon.

Had very heavy rain here as the storm passed over head around 11pm. Just got the internet back after phoning LGTEL earlier this afternoon.

We say ‘Aussie rain’ when it is properly torrential.

Let’s face it. The weather has been mainly crap for 2021 so far. Unusually cool for North Western Europe.

Yes February was mainly sunny and quite warm (as in 2020) but March was …meh, April was extremely cool (albeit mainly dry and sunny) and May has been pretty rubbish so far. 9 degrees out there today…9 degrees in nearly mid May!! Wouldn’t surprise me if it snowed in June here!

I have to remind myself we are only a few hours on the A20 from the Med!! Mind you a cool 17 degrees in St Tropez today! Who was it that said that France had a great climate south of the Loire Valley?

Actually for the last two or three summers the Limousin has resembled the Serengeti! Serious droughts, especially in Creuse. Our area in Correze is well down on average rainfall this year already.

The most terrifying gust of wind came though an hour ago, would surprise me if it took down trees. I was actually scared and I usually love wild weather!

Weirdly it came out of nowhere and only lasted a few minutes then went as quickly, barely a breeze now!

A rubbish May is absolutely brilliant for the roses in our part of France (47) - too much heat and sun, the flowers just go over so fast. The rain is dire for some - they “ball” and don’t open properly - but the lower temperatures are just great. :grin:

Well yes I hear what you are saying, we moved to the Massif Central to escape the insane heat of the Charente in summer (40 plus degrees) and to be able to grow the plants we want! This year it has been mainly bloody freezing. 9 degrees in May this far south! 15-16 degrees okay I can accept that…but 9 degrees. Bonkers! Just out of interest, it is 28 degrees in Berlin today and under 20 degrees all along the med coast of France. Ventusky is a good live weather app.

If only all this rain ended up the pool I’m refilling and not in the cave under the house.

1 Like

Or when?

Since someone here recommended yr.no for weather, it started off very well in May.

It’s not got as bad as meteo.fr became. Honestly I used to think meteo.fr had received its weather forecasts for here by post. With a four-day delay.

However yr.no has got less reliable since late July. Today we’ve had brooding skies anf mugginess that would tell any farm girl like me rain in 2-4 hours. Thunder rolling round us building since over an hour now. Perhaps we were in the eye of the storm.

Errr no. Thunder is now here and so is the rain chucking it down.

What’s on yr.no? No rain for the rest of the day / evening.

Frogweather app - which has been good for deciding if am umbrella is needed today or not - says no rain then 40% chance of rain at 9pm, chance of rain doesn’t get to70% till 11pm.

Meanwhile rain coming down in stairrods and thunder stronger. Very strong gusts of wind blowing things off the porch. This feels like a storm 5 years ago which progressed to hailstones the size of tennis balls. Literally. (My English builder contact has one of those hailstones still in his freezer.)

EDIT : 20 mins later. 3 inches of rain fell in 15 minutes. yr.no still not saying any raim today. Frogweather app still maybe 11pm 70% chance

Along with lack of public transport and no supermarket willing to deliver, and no mobile network except middling Orange signal capturable, it looks like rural Lot is a black hole even for weather forecasting now.:

That sounds a bit bleak, Karen. Fingers crossed that the weather improves for you soon.

For the last month or so, Accuweather.com seems to have become more reliable for me here in 86 Vienne - in between Poitiers and Limoges. It might be worth a look to see if their current weather corresponds with what is happening outside your front door.
Or, indeed, back door.

The website https://www.meteoblue.com (which also has a mobile app) is very interesting one with a wide variety of satellite photos, temperature maps, winds maps, rainfall radar and comparisons of month weather against historical averages. The rainfall radar ensures you don’t have to rely on forecasts for rainfall predictions.

For N. Lot, wunderground.com (usually pretty accurate) is saying “Thunderstorms likely. Rainfall will be locally heavy at times. Low 18C. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 100%. 25 to 50mm of rain expected.” I can hear rumbling and the skies are darkening but there’s no rain yet… but looking at Lightning & Thunderstorms - live real-time Maps the storms are much worse further north.

Thanks Brian. Accuweather was “off” before, but is now showing thunderstorms at 7pm and 10pm. So it got there first. I’ll bookmark and keep watching accuweather a bit more.

Not bad, Fleur. Wunderground very inaccurate before. Other than 3 inches of rain in 20min instead of 2inches, that’s pretty accurate. I will bookmark that one too and start comparing them all again.

1 Like

I guess it’s not easy to predict precisely the passage of storms and the associated rainfall. No rain here now! It’ll probably come in the night and wake us all up!

Don’t you believe it! We often watch the clouds roll up, we hear the thunder and the storm rolls north east of us, up into Dordogne.

Same again today, to my frustration - the ground is rock hard here now, nothing left in our water butts or underground tank. yr.no got it spot on - no rain here again. :frowning_face: