Mini Ipad woes

Being as I appear to be the least “tech” member, (to my knowledge)
I have a question.
I’ve been given an ipad by a rather misguided but well-intentioned friend, in a perhaps vain attempt to modernise my life.

She tells me that she has removed all files & personal info; also anything / everything relating to her Apple account.
The idea was / is that I should be able to “Face time” people instead of phoning. However, so far I’ve not been able to FT anything as it appears that passwords etc need changing. I went through various password changes only to find that I still can’t do what I want.
Is there a way to return this infernal thing back to factory settings ; or should I not even do such a thing?

The future of this device is in your collective hands.
TIA

I would be tempted to wipe the ipad fully and start again - this may be in Setting, General or Security.

I agree with Mat. Put the ipad back to factory settings and start again.

Do you use Facebook/Messenger Bob? If so you can make calls to people who are also on Messenger. There’s a phone symbol at the top of the main Messenger page. It’s pretty much the same as Facetime but means the other person doesn’t have to have an iphone.

A friend suggested Messenger, but when I tried FB said that my camera/mic weren’t connected
When they called me on messenger it worked fine

I’m really not meant to be in this century

Are you using Messenger on your phone or on your PC? Probably best on a smartphone but using your wifi connection. Works perfectly well with my creaky iphone 5 connecting to a Wiko in Albine.

I don’t have an iphone Mandy…I’m taking small steps
I’ve reset the ipad, but now find myself minus the Firefox icon that enabled me to access the interweb
My friend said to just download it again
But not How ?

So, How ?

Is there a safari icon? Pale blue and looks a bit like a compass? That should be pre-loaded on an iPad and should give access to the internet. Once opened, if you still want firefox you just type it into search bar.

Alternatively you should have the app store icon. Also blue with a big A in the middle. Open that and search for firefox. Voila! (Hopefully)

it has safari

I’ll try, Jane

You don’t need an iphone just a smartphone to use Messenger.

To download an App you need to use the App Store. Before you can do that though you need to set up your Apple ID. It’s fairly straightforward but hard to explain when I’m not looking at the ipad with you.

Can you go to see your friend to ask for help?

EDIT: ignore this for Firefox. Do what Jane says!!!

With safari you can go anywhere you want… I haven’t needed to both with another browser.

Found Safari & had a go at downloading Whatsapp, only to find that it doesn’t work with ipad unless I download some other bloody thing & pair it with an iphone…Jesus H. Christ !!!

I’m going back to pen & paper

But thank you everyone for your time xx

There is no official WhatsApp app for an iPad and although there’s a workaround I expect it’s a faff.

Reading the blurb on the “workaround”, I’d have to have an iphone, download something, connect the phone to a pc, blah, blah…by this time, I was catatonic…it all seems like alchemy to me.

It is not worth having WhatsApp on an ipad. If you want simplicity stick to what is is supposed to do.

I would also say that when you are up an running facetime does work well it is just part of what apple stuff does out of the box so you don’t need to add or install anything.

Stick to the KISS principles of “Keep It Simple Stupid”! Not my words however!

There’s a mid green icon with a white video camera on it which is facetime. If you click on that, then on left near top you can enter your friend’s details and it should work.

I facetime my sisters with the camera aimed at something nice, like the garden, rather than my face.

GardenTime.

1 Like

Talk to your local library - the one in our village runs free computing classes for beginners - free of charge. They may well do one somewhere near you and cover iPads. Just a thought… it could build up your confidence with your new toy!

1 Like

Click on Settings (the gear wheel icon). Scroll down to General. Scroll down to reset. Choose Erase all content and settings.

The iPad will then guide you through the process of setting it up as a new device, including creating an Apple ID. You must have access to WiFi to do this. It will invite you to join that WiFi, so you need the WiFi password to hand.

Once done, you can go to the App Store - the icon for it will be on the iPad screen, and did load the Apps you want.