Mint

Thankyou Ben sounds umm

A French version (less "tangy" to say the least ;-))

2 handfulls of mint leaves

2 tbs (yellow) lemon juice

2 tbs olive oil (fruity)

1,5 tbs finely chopped onion

2 tbs (brown) sugar

2-3 pinces piment de cayenne

3 pinces salt

Chop the mint leaves very finely (even better, do it in a mixer). Add the rest of the ingredients, mix and taste. Rectify the seasoning if needed.

The internet has just come back on ,really wanted to do mint jelly and couldn't find a recipe .So maybe next time ,but this time i made mint chutney / mint sauce, thought the mint chutney would be lovely for stuffed lamb and i've just made Lemon curd umm umm

basically...cut up mint leaves finely...with a herb rocker, mix with vinegar...choose one with a gentle taste..not malt...cider or white wine maybe....then add sweetness to taste..some like honey some sugar.. whatever you prefer...you can also make mint jelly....we usually have lamb with both sauce and jelly...have grown loads of mint this year...if you have loads...good to dry or freeze for the winter...mint jelly recipes below..incidentally a brilliant site for loads of recipes....have fun!

http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/all/mint-jelly

Jamie oliver does a lovely lemon mint Rissotto this would be perfect ,you could make a cordial/sirop that would be really refreshing during the summer or make lemon /mint butter you could use it on fish ideas are endless

Happy cooking

please don't tell anyone you're making mint sauce - you'll be the butt of all the culinary jokes in your commune and further afield ;-)

Thankyou Cat this is my project for the day

Hi there,

I usually use apple mint because it smells and tastes so good, rather than spear or peppermint. Just cut up a good handful of the broad leaves, no stalks and add approx 3-4 tablespoons of vinegar. I doesn't matter much if its wine, or malt, but I prefer cider vinegar for this. Stir well and sweeten to taste.....I like using the more unrefined golden caster sugar or demarara sugar, but you can experiment with different vinegars and sugar combinations until you find one you like.

If you cannot take sugar, I have had a bit of success using granulated sweetner, but be careful not to over sweeten with this.

Hope this helps.

Catt

This is the one I use

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/realmintsauce_67706

Have fun!