Mmmmm.. even the Spectator has had enough

1 Like

Yea - I just watched the BBC Newsnight report on the Marcus Rashford debacle - a lot of unrest in the Tory ranks - the reporter said that every Tory MP he spoke to criticised Cummings, unprompted.

Quite generous given Johnson’s total inability to do the job. It’s not that Conservative associations had not been warned but they ignored the advice and voted him in to lead (I use the term loosely) the party.

The Telegraph frequently carries critical articles these days as well.

However, as I said before - both of these papers are owned by the Barclay Brothers - if they are not supporting Johnson there is likely to be a candidate that they prefer - who could easily be worse given the current crop of senior Tories.

Gove for PM? :face_vomiting:

Well, Doris did a good job of removing those senior MPs who would have been capable thereby truly fucking the country up in the furtherance of his own personal agenda…

6 Likes

Could happen. A sledgehammer replace by stiletto. One still ends up dead.

1 Like

There is a view among Tories, I understand, that its the rise of Rishi Sunak that has made Johnson/Cummings look particularly poor - and offered a potential alternative.

1 Like

I think the headline should have been “Former Editor of Spectator proves to be the useless bag of lard that he’s always been.”

1 Like

One wouldn’t want to be too judgemental David :wink:

The only one I’d have any time for… good to see the stroke they pulled on Javid (not that I like him much) might backfire.

Some very strong medicine here today…

Yes - very powerful article (I also linked it - in the George Floyd thread, as it’s also very relevant to BLM - one particular historical irony Monbiot doesn’t point out is that the UK was setting up its own ‘gulag’ at the very time the Soviet Union was dismantling theirs).

Where there have been people there has always been oppression and greed.
The UK is no different and Boris Johnson is quite right in saying that we shouldn’t edit our past.
However, neither should we cover up where the UK has been at fault.
If we are ever to learn from history, we need to be aware of the facts, not the truth as told by the victor.

1 Like

I agree Jane. If Johnson was saying don’t edit the past while acknowledging the awkward facts along with the more honorable ones, that would be fine. However, he shows no interest at all in the former.

It seems to me that the Home Office is now rotten to the core. Shitty Patel is an appropriate figurehead.

Boris may be a disappointment so far, but you never know.
The election gave no choice as Corbyn would have killed the prospects for everyone and destroyed the country for decades.

I’m no fan of Corbyn’s Anne but IMO Boris with his majority is going to kill the prospects for everybody (except the ERG and the super rich) and destroy the Country for decades. Corbyn was misguided, but at least he’d have tried to do the best for everyone and hopefully the damage would have been reversible. Johnson is an evil, unscrupulous and not very bright liar who doesn’t give a damn. As as for the sycophantic clowns he’s surrounded himself with… well, words fail me.

2 Likes

a piece you might like to read about the reasons behind Labour’s failure at the last GE

How do you know? I mean, what are the actual grounds for thinking so, rather than some knee-jerk-reaction quotation?

2 Likes

This is worth a read Anne… it all seems to be coming horribly true.

You have condemned Corbyn but, hey, you never know. With Boris we do know the proof builds up day after day. Even his greatest fans will have to run out of excuses after a while.