Money transfer

Hello to all! I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I am a new member and plan to retire to France soon. Can any American expat retirees give me advice on the best way to transfer $ to France on a regular basis. The currency exchange volatility has me spooked. Thank you for your help

Thank you Sylvia, I look forward to it.

Good luck with the move!

Hello Sylvia,

I am the account manager for Survive France Members from TorFX. We can assist anybody around the world with their international money transfers. TorFX transfer funds in US $ accounts to a € accounts in France for clients on a daily basis, be it living expenses, property purchases or sending money back to the US, so it is certainly something we can assist with.

Feel free to contact me direct ian.cragg@torfx.com or call me 0044 1736 335292.

I look forward to hearing from you

Sylvia, the best part about this Social Security direct deposit in your French bank is that it is always there by the 1st of the month, and there is no extra charge, it is at the exact exchange rate of the day but you must do all the leg work before leaving the US and when there is a cost of living increase in the US you receive it as well. I am glad I could be of help.

Sylvia are you wanting to transfer money for purchasing a home ? or is it for your day to day expenses? Let me explain: my husband and I are retired , my husband is a US citizen and I am French I have lived and worked in the US 43 years, the US Social Security has an agreement with the French Social Security and if you are retired your social security monthly payment will go directly into your French bank account, for that you will need to stop at your social security office in St Charles and give them your address in France and also your bank account information ( IBAN )

Both my husband and I have a 401K account, money that goes to our US Credit Union accounts, we didn't close these accounts, we also have Visa credit cards from the Credit Union where the money goes and for our purchase, here in France, we pay for everything with our Visa credit card and pay the bill every month electronically, the credit union only charges 1% that is far less than having a Visa card from a French Bank and or a money transfer would cost . We only had a large transfer done ,when we purchased our house in France and even though all the Foreign Exchange companies said they were the least expensive (that is what they all say) it was an expensive venture.

Sorry I was long winded but I hope I was clear enough.

Hi Sylvia

We use and recommend TOR Fx for currency exchange, I use them on a regular basis, if you want to give them a call, speak to Ian Cragg, he will be able to answer any questions you may have.

http://www.torfx.com/survivefrance/

Hope that helps!

James