Monkey Pox - Variole du singe: France

Lots of articles to work through… a Jab is available… but best bet at the moment is to minimize one’s number of sexual partners… (official advice, not mine… :wink: )

https://www.ouest-france.fr/sante/virus/variole-du-singe/

@Corona… I hear and obey… :wink:

1 Like

@billybutcher and @graham
is this the correct Category for monkey pox?? please amend if not…

Well, it’s certainly healthcare related.....

2 Likes

I would go further than that and say close contact. You don’t just need to to be doing the horizontal (or vertical in some cases) mambo with someone, although that’s the obvious one, skin to skin contact, or contact with clothes or bed linen of someone infected can spread it. It’s one of those situations where if we’re not careful focusing on the sex aspect could help it spread as people are less cautious than they could be outside of the bedroom :see_no_evil::sweat_smile:

I reckon folk should read every single article on the links… and decide how they wish to behave… :wink: and/or if they should seek medical help/advice.

They probably should. But almost no one will, or has time to, do that, as is human nature! :joy:

I was joking but, on the other hand… perhaps folk do need to know what is “on the go”…
However, they can read the UK Press about it if they care to… if they want to follow French stuff… here it is.

1 Like

No need for a jab for what is effectively an STI being almost entirely spread between persons having unprotected sexual activity with multiple partners.

Excellent… someone who has read all the blurb.

In the ‘developed world’ it resembles 1980’s AIDs transmission except so far the contrasting communities of haemophiliacs and junkies seem spared.

One tends to think of the male gay community as being better informed and more media savvy than average, but if that was the case, this shouldn’t be spreading so fast

Unfortunately, education isn’t sufficient, in S Africa, at the end of the last century, maybe 25% of post-grad student university students had AIDs. They’d become infected a few years earlier, but there’s an incubation period during which many continued to spread the disease

Unfortunately like AIDs and possibly COVID, as well as many other horrible diseases originating in the cause is all too often a local indiscriminate fondness for bushmeat.

Is that a euphemism?

3 Likes

If the phrase “Monkey Pox” upsets anyone, can we just call it “Schlong Covid”?

1 Like

Kirstea’s warning about it spreading on clothes, bedlinen or just skin contact is a bit worrying though.

I’ll consider that to be an issue when I see any meaningful data showing that those situations are viable transmission vectors.

Similar things were said of covid, a Spanish university were un able to collect sufficient viable counts to infect anyone and later on in the covid saga an Israeli unversity said the same. Although technically the virus can live on surfaces it seems unlikely the viral load would be high enough unlike novichok as a poison.

1 Like

If you were vaccinated against smallpox back in the day, you don’t need to give this a second thought.

@Bristolpete that’s interesting… must confess I’ve not noticed this in the blurb, but I’ve only glanced at it …
Where did you read it ???

Are you sure that “back in the day” stuff gives “lifelong cover” ???

Hi Stella,

If you Google it, loads of articles come up from reliable sources. The smallpox vaccine conferred lifelong immunity and should work.

Just bashed it into the computer and comes up with differing ideas.
However, it’s interesting to note that UK are offering smallpox vaccines re monkey-pox.