Monsanto reconvicted

A US “seed saver” had death threats made at him by Monsanto…apparently it was proved, & Monsanto convicted.
Doesn’t seem they have many scruples when "protecting the market "

Death threats ?
Citation please.
Maybe post the site where you read it.

Bloody hell I see the “Food Babe” (well-known very wealthy professional internet chemophobe) is now attacking Snopes for siding with science where Monsanto is concerned.

I watched a very informative video yesterday about the “GMO-free” label you might find on your Himalayan pink rock salt.

There’s a video of the chap concerned.
Unfortunately, I can’t give you a link, as it was posted in a no- dig gardening group, from which I was barred for expressing my views on Monsanto.

Very convenient !
Perhaps post the site so I can join ?

It just struck me that monsanto / GMO /glyphosate is a bit like brexit in that everyone wants a bit of the eurosceptic vote including the BBC…( A lot of them secretly hoping the ref result would be “remain”)

They even started attacking Borlaug (Nobel prize laureate) as representing “big gluten” - cos everyone is now gluten-intolersnt as well as autistic.

The chemicles industry is all about money, it doesn’t care if people die of cancer, or babies born deformed , there’s so much evidence over the years starting from agent orange in Vietnam, tge worrying part is the governments do nothing to stop tge products been used , the EU is a good exemple, 28 countries having to agree then nothing happens , France sets a bad example as the vast quantities of crops growing here, the vineyards , and proven tests that the produce and wines test positive for chemicles.

Bloody hell not agent Orange again …

You have conveniently neglected to put the mechanism for the injury to the children in Vietnam.

Not at all Jeremy…several of my friends are in the group.
It’s the “no dig gardening” group on FB.
Be warned though, express anything controversial, & it’s as if you’ ve joined Hastings W I.
And don’t use the word “fuck”; I did, & was told that with an attitude like mine, how could ever expect to find employment.
I didn’t bother answering.

1 Like

James VI & I in his ‘counterblaste to tobacco’ ascribes all sorts to smoking. Beginning of the 17thC.

:upside_down_face::wink: Thanks Vero… answers my question

and makes a valuable point … it took a few more centuries before folk actually discovered/believed tobacco was harmful and acted accordingly…

Monsanto might well be the “tobacco” of modern times…

Science-phobia makes me fear for our future :frowning:

1 Like

I don’t know if anyone on here has read “Fat of the Land” by J. Seymour, but IMO this is a book that could / should be a part of any school book list.
I can’t say how many times I’ve read it; but it was the first book I read on Self Sufficiency, so I must have bought it when I was about 15…so almost 40 years back.
I still read parts of it, just to “keep my hand in”; & my thoughts in the right place.
I also feel that it has a certain relevance to (albeit tenuous) to a few threads on here, of late.

Not really.

The scientific evidence was a paper published by Doll and Hill in 1950 - it was a retrospective study but fairly significant; there was a similar study published just prior in the 'States. Both were followed up by a prospective cohort study but the links were quickly accepted by the medical and scientific community - certainly within in 10 years.

Yes, the tobacco industry resisted the findings in the beginning.

Yes, we did a while ago. Note that I am fairly ambivalent about glyphosate itself - I think that it has had a bad press on top of weak evidence but what really gets my goat is all the shoot from the hip, emotional, hysterical and anti-intellectual outpouring that there is on the subject.

As Jeremey says - citation please and the deranged ramblings in a closed FB group do not count.

It seems a bit odd anyway when Monsanto could just take them to court as they have done so many times (and prevailed).

Yes, it is a touchy subject - can you “patent” an organism which has 99.999 (and several more nines)% natural DNA and just a few tweaks made by the agri business (or pharma) but the law seems, on the whole, to say “yes you can”. Also Monsanto pretty much has a duty to protect its business and intellectual property - what else would you have it do (in any case I think that it unly supplies Roundup resistant crops under a fairly tight set of T’s&C’s).

Well it is, as you observe, an industry so, yes, it is about making profit - what else would it be?

Of course some industries have a terrible track record, corners are cut in the pursuit of profit and sometimes great harm is done which is why effective regulation is needed - the mistake tends to be assuming that industry will act in an altruistic fashion so a lot of regulation is after the fact and ineffective.

I think that the situation in the US (and many 3rd world nations) is that it is very much a place where he who has the biggest bank balance has the loudest voice so some industries have an unhealthy influence simply because of their vast wealth.

I don’t think Monsanto is whiter than white, far from, it and I am sure there are plenty of skeletons in the cupboards but on the whole glyphosate is a long way from being the worst, unfortunately it is a victim of its own sucess and has become over used; helped in part because the way it works means that repeated applications are needed. To be fair it probably isn’t  a good thing that almost everything is contaminated with a few parts per billion of the stuff - but it isn’t much fun to be starving either.

1 Like

As always, Paul… you give us much food for thought… :relaxed::relaxed:

Be interesting to see how things pan out over the next few years… :thinking:

As stated Paul, it’s a video that was posted in a FB group…
I make no other claim than to have watched it; commented; & been barred from the group.
If you feel it’s that important, join said group & ask the person that posted it to provide their citation.
To add context, my comment was “Fuck Monsanto, & all those associated with them”…or thereabouts. I was subsequently ejected from the group, & expected to be made to feel 15 years old again…it didn’t work.
I’m prepared to say it again if necessary…I may have more support this time round, than I had in “no-dig”…I’m sure Stella’s sobered up now, but give her a bottle of Noilly Prat, & a family-size pack of Cheesey Wotsits, & she’ll take on anyone that’s daft enough to stick their head over the parapet…

:crazy_face::smiley::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlG7z8SbBk

Life’s too short I’m afraid.

Especially when Google can’t turn up any suggestion this was the case - and, as I said, it doesn’t really make any sense when Monsanto won all of its court cases

The rights and wrongs of this are debatable - I haven’t really decided which side of the argument to support as I can see pluses and minuses on both sides.

I’ve joined the group, found a couple of Bob’s posts but I can’t find any reference to the video.

I did find the bit where they were complaining about his language though…

How many cases were there ?
I only know about the Canadian one where the bloke deliberately made canola seeds and which is widely cherry picked.
It just goes to show that GM technology works.
People wouldn’t otherwise want to steal it.