Monthly costs

Good job James

3 Likes

Does your family of four have 2 adolescent boys, or two younger kids? That makes a huge difference as boys, in my experience, eat like a horse when they hit 14 or so.
I spent about 150 Eur a week on mostly organic food, hardly any industrial stuff for 3 of us including two adolescent boys. Thatā€™s 600Eur per month. It includes a small amount of wine, but mainly meat, fresh fruit and vegetables, rice, pasta, lentils, etc.
My eldest is now supposedly buying and cooking his own food, so Iā€™m spending 100Eur a week (for 2).
I hope that gives you some idea.

I like this thread. I thought my monthly outgoings might need reining in a bit but compared to the others on here Iā€™m obviously doing very well indeed.

2 Likes

Hi Justin

Interesting reading the replies as we find it generally more expensive in France (we are a couple rather than a family so our shopping is little different) and we do make regular UK trips so have a good idea of the general costs there too.
Also, we think the pricing is a bit more regionalised here - i.e more expensive in the Ile-de-France (where we live now) and CdA regions (where we used to live) and my opinion is the UK is more competitive. Certain supermarkets are considerably more expensive here for the same goods so we tend to shop at Auchan and Intermarche but it really does depend on what you buy/eat. Fresh produce in the UK is a lot cheaper even taken into consideration the exchange rate. I am inclined to agree Carrefour is more expensive but they sometimes sell those items you canā€™t buy in letā€™s say Auchan. For two - including wine/meat/fresh produce and household goods we spend bought 130 euros per week.

1 Like

and while youā€™re there, can you tell me how long is a piece of string?

1 Like

We are a family of 4 with 2 adolescent boys. We spend about 180 euros per week on shopping in Carrefour. This includes toiletries and small household items as printer cartridges sometimesā€¦
Hope that helps!

1 Like