Medicines on the "black list" or controlled 2019 - 2021

Many, if not most of us, will try not to take too much medication, but I admit to seeing at least one that I do use (occasionally) appears on this list… :thinking:

Listening to the car radio last night on the way home from work, I heard the reporter mentioning that Maxilase was going to be de-listed as the authorities had finally decided that it was too dangerous in comparison to a zero medical benefit. This is a medicine that has been licensed since the 60’s, some would say even over-prescribed - certainly, my kids were regularly prescribed with it when they were little for the associated sore throats that accompanied various colds, rhinitis, and other runny noses. Having also had it as adult, I personally found it to be of no benefit either, and its efficaciousness has long been in doubt. Seems like the allergic reactions that are sometimes caused when taking it have got the better of the authorities !

Reading that article, I notice that the diatomaceous earths (powdered clays to most people) are also in the firing line because of allegedly high levels of lead content. How will I calm my heaving stomach now, when I get a gastro :wink:

1 Like

Good old British kaolin and morphine :laughing:

OMG I used to love that stuff :wink:

Mother in Law used to use this:

Does J Collis Browne’s mixture work? J Collis Browne’s mixture contains two active ingredients, morphine hydrochloride and peppermint oil. Morphine is a type of medicine called an opioid. In high doses it is a strong painkiller, but it also has cough suppressant and anti-diarrhoeal actions.

She was horrified when it was taken off the shelves… :wink:

1 Like

“I’ll just have a bit of my tonic/syrup/elixir now” :fearful:

Amazing to think of all those Victorians off their heads on laudanum etc. Obviously no shame attached to drug taking, think of Sherlock Holmes injecting himself with cocaine. When Marx says religion is the opium of the people he isn’t szying it is inherently bad, he is saying it is an anodyne to make their life more bearable.

When I was a kid lots of cough medicines had morphine in them, as it’s a great cough suppressant. And we had a bottle of tincture of heroin (ie laudanum) in the bathroom cupboard.

With all drugs it’s a question of weighing up risks and benefits, and these days the financial cost too. Rather than rely of the advice of a commercial magazine that is trying to get you to subscribe, I prefer to discuss drug treatments with my doctor and read the leaflet that comes with the drug. It’s good to be informed and ask intelligent questions, but these alarmist articles shouldn’t replace qualified advice.

OH’s Canadian Aunt swore she slept soundly … due to the big swig of Benylin cough syrup she took every night… :wink:

For me, one item on the list which is concerning is a single daily dose of Januvia (type 2 diabetes) which was prescribed by my cardiologist to replace 3 doses of metformin daily which he described as problematical in cardiac care.
We will initially discuss with our pharmacist to see if there is an alternative offering before consulting the cardiologist for his view. I’m not sure it falls to my MT to determine; his ordonances merely follow the guidance given by the cardiologist.

Good idea to discuss with the Pharmacist and probably your Doctor as well. I would expect them all to be aware of this latest list. However, they may well suggest that it might be OK for you to continue with supplies you have, until it runs out… even if the stuff cannot be prescribed in the future.

Hope they can find a suitable replacement for you.

good luck.

1 Like

But what is the status of this list? I didn’t find it entirely clear as it is being published by a commercial body not the HAS. This “liste noire” seems to be their definition rather than anything official, so these drugs have not been withdrawn from the market as far as I can understand.

A couple that I use I know that recent research has merely made the risks more precise to allow better judgements to be made about benefits v risks, and has resulted in slightly lower doses being prescribed. But most drugs carry risks.

According to their site:

" Prescrire is written and edited by and for healthcare professionals. Prescrire is entirely independent and its editors are free from any ties to industry or other outside influences. "

Here is the link in English

In the case of Januvia (the one I mentioned) the indication is that it will be withdrawn from January 2020 (ie by the end of 2019).
@Stella so I guess a bit like NICE in the UK?

Quite possibly, Graham. It seems to be a respected Association and the latest list is the result of findings/info gathered in the last 8-9 years.

My previous Osteo treatment was excellent (for me) but came under scrutiny due to serious adverse reactions in some sections of the population. Its use was firstly “restricted” while further investigations were made and finally “removed” when the risks were deemed too high to be acceptable in any circumstances.

Whilst my Doc and I are sad that the replacement treatment does not perform (for me) as well as the old one… At least I need not worry about serious side effects.

a balanced view…

1 Like

:rofl: can anyone tell me one thing in Life which does NOT carry a risk… :thinking: :wink:

spending the day in bed instead of getting up?

nope… :upside_down_face: inactivity is not considered to be good for us… :thinking:

Depending on the individual’s health situation - a day in the warmth of one’s comfy bed might be wonderful. :hugs: (I’d love it) However there is a strong risk of crumbs etc causing discomfort… :rofl: (and for anyone who has circulatory problems for example, not moving around sufficiently can be bad… )

One has to weigh up the benefits v the pitfalls… moderation in all things seems to be favourite… :hugs:

Of course, an active day in bed might be just what the Doctor ordered…:upside_down_face::rofl::crazy_face:

3 Likes

No idea what you could possibly mean @Stella
What do I ask for at the surgery?

2 Likes