Mosquitoes in France

I haven’t had much luck finding information about this online: generally speaking, are there any areas in France notorious for mosquitoes?

I currently live in Colorado and there are next to none here which I’m sure is something I’ll miss – I’m a mosquito magnet. Would love to know ahead of time which areas to avoid. On the flip side of that, are there any areas known for mild mosquito activity?

Thank you all for your continued replies to all of the silly questions that pop into my head. :pray:

The southern half of France!

Here is info on the tiger mosquitos, which have been invading over the past few years. Very nasty things. And the maps of their presence are basically similar to where you find ordinary mosquitos. But having said that, if one’s house is well sited and you have no standing water and put screens on windows and doors, surround your terrace with herbs, etc etc then you can live alongside them

2 Likes

Then there is the middle of France…:relaxed:

1 Like

this is an resource which outlines a natural remedy for making a bug free spray to get rid of ants, mosquitoes and flies.
Not tried it ourselves but just remembered seeing it online the other day.

1 Like

Very helpful, thank you!

The Camargue.

1 Like

Hmm… marshes and lagoons plus heat… I’ll probably stay away from that area! Bretagne is already starting to sound better and better.

1 Like

Yes, the smoke from their local forest fires keeps the mosquitoes away :wink:

Sorry for that one @Geof_Cox !

2 Likes

I have S African friends in the Drome whose house on their village’s main square is opposite a lovely C18th neoclassical lavoir public which is very picturesque, but I suspect it’s also from where most of the mosquitoes in the Midi orignate.

However, S Africans are very resourceful people, (‘boer maak ein plan’ is a popular response to any problem) so they just brought over some lovely, very graceful mosquito nets from KwaZulu Natal, a SA province that lies within the southern African malaria belt.

Personally, I find sleeping under a big mosquito net very soothing and slightly exotic!

1 Like

@Jane_Williamson was looking for one of tbose a while back

For some reason, the one below appears to be in a rather depressing windowless cellar, but it’s a good price and obviously one could use it somewhere else…

Moustiquaire Deconet Canopy KingSize 2 Ouvertures (210 x 240 cm) | Bedsupply.fr

1 Like

Is there a full body net available for when you’re out enjoying your garden?

1 Like

They’re mainly nocturnal, but if you’re really worried, a wet suit or a burqua would probably do the trick!

2 Likes

I’ve shared this before but I can vouch for this fantastic gadget… Doesn’t stop you getting bitten but makes them more bearable.

https://www.amazon.fr/Beurer-soulageant-traitement-d%C3%A9mangeasion-gonflement/dp/B089GRH43R

2 Likes

no gadget needed… just sip a glass of chilled eau de vie… sit back and relax…

1 Like

I’m all set!

4 Likes

Haha yes that works too :rofl:

2 Likes

If you look harder, you will find that this net is attached to the wooden beams in the ceiling, and I don’t have those in my bedroom. I was looking for a metal structure to drape my net over.
I saw one several years ago and, in fact, we b ought one from the net, but it is too short.
I have gone back to the Ikea nets suspended by one hook from the ceiling.