Mossies in the drinking water well?

Just realised that mossies might live in our well (almost our well, purchase not quite complete) that supplies our drinking water .

Could this be an issue or am I over concerned?

Maybe we could hang one of these in the well? Its battery operated.

Any other ideas or advice please?

Thanks

Graeme

Pricey :scream:

Mossies like stagnant water, even small puddles, so if you could keep your well water moving……

1 Like

Doesn’t your drinking-well have a cover???
Ours in UK had a wooden hinged-cover which kept the water clean… from outside visitors (human and others) and dirt etc.
Friends here in France have a drinking-well which is also covered. The lid only gets removed if they need to check the pump etc.

1 Like

I have a cover on my well, but that’s got me thinking about my water tank, to make sure that it’s well sealed! My eyes nearly popped out when I saw the price of that lamp you shared - I’d certainly try to get the well closed to solve any potential issue at source versus trying to use one of those lamps, that I must say, after trying something smaller, wasn’t very impressed at all.

1 Like

well
It has a cover, but those little blighters can surely bypass it really easily?

I would pay a lot to avoid mossies!

similar to ours in UK. If you use the well regularly, you won’t have any problems I wouldn’t have thought.
If this is a holiday home which will be left for long periods… it might possibly stagnate and need cleaning anyway before you use it… so that would solve any problems with “squatters”.

EDIT: Just a thought… do you have a filter fitted so that water drawn from the well is clear/pure before it hits your indoor taps?? That might need checking from time to time.

1 Like

If the current cover doesn’t fit particularly well, I’d invest the money to adapt the existing one/make a new one that does fit rather than spend on the light.

2 Likes

There is a view that mossies are not attracted to UV light so in fact these lamps are of questionable use. Anyone used them with success?

We have citronella products everywhere including plug-in diffusers. They do work. I’d rather not have to use them, but I get a nasty allergic reaction to mossies. Could you have something like diffusers in the well vicinity?

1 Like

Thanks @SuePJ , there does appear to be some electric sockets on the roof structure of the well. You are right about the UV light. I found this referring to LED lights:-
The green light was most attractive to the mosquitos, responsible for 43 percent of all insects collected. Blue light accounted for 31.8 percent of attracted mosquitos, followed by the control (incandescent) light at 24.9 percent. The LED trap attraction was significantly improved over the incandescent control, even when controlling for phases of the moon, which commonly interfere with incandescent light traps.

1 Like

I don’t want to push our luck but we have never been troubled by mosquitos here (they don’t think I’m ‘tasty’ anyway) even though we have 3 ponds and the lower one just a few feet away from where I’m sitting is more open to sunlight and therefore evaporation. At the moment the level is so low that it is more like a marsh and the birds can alight on it to bathe and drink. I remember when I started digging them 20 odd years ago now one neighbour questioned our wisdom because of mossies, but they do not seem to colonise them for some reason.

1 Like

I looked into this a while back and got to speak to a doctor from DEFRA. Its CO2 that seems to atract them more although the traps do work for some if powerful enough. If you are hot and giving off more CO2 youll be more of a target. Having a shower to wash it away helps, it’s apparently why bites are often at the edges of clothing, cuffs, ankles, upper arms where we leak CO2 from our bodies.

1 Like

That’s interesting. I knew about the CO2 thing - and the machines that attract mossies by pumping out CO2. I assumed that it was the CO2 from the mouth / nose that attracted them and that they bite where they do - ankles / wrists / elbows - because our blood vessels are closer to the surface.

Probably a bit of both but we have blood vessels everywhere under the skin?

1 Like

Either cover your well or add a simple aeration bubble thingy to keep the water turbullulanut so moving, find them in specialized pet shops usually for aquariums.

2 Likes