Most disgusting thing you have ever eaten?

I had sausages in Cairo once which tasted fine but I suspect were camel.

1 Like

Ahhhh the Carnivore NBO! Looks like it’s still going strong - often ate there on stopovers. Amazing place.

1 Like

I guess it’s a matter of perspective…certainly not a case of self deprivation and I don’t feel my life is lacking anything due to my personal choices of what to eat or not…there are many delicious vegetarian recipes…many in the list…My family…grandparents on both sides but especially my maternal Scottish Gran have never been great meat eaters…She was a cook for a privelaged family for many years so could cook all sorts but the head of the household loved her Scottish vegetarian recipes…I guess it’s what you become accustomed to…we’ve never been great restaurant goers either…preferring family gatherings over and above eating out…,My son is determined to try garlic snails this time over here…”9 days to get them in the pan”…,.I’ll not eat them not for any reason than I just don’t fancy them.,…x :slight_smile:

2 Likes

those pesky meat eaters who are missing out.

1 Like

Lol…my partner hates garlic but I absolutely love it…I’ve been known to grate a couple of cloves into our meals and he’s said it was delicious…x :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Snails, I think, rely for flavour on their garlic accompaniment. They have little intrinsic flavour and are just chewy and overpriced tidbits. I was very cross when a Spanish restaurateur insisted I return the handful of shells from a portion so he could re-use them for another customer. When I refused he set about trying to humiliate me by serenading my wife at our table with his guitar in lascivious fashion. But I kept my shells and he lost his puny little cockle. Adios amigo!

2 Likes

My conscience tells me to become a vegetarian but my belly says give me a bacon sandwich. I am so weak, no willpower at all.

Some days I am disgusted with myself for continuing to eat meat. I am determined to do it one day. :persevere::disappointed::avocado::tomato::carrot::broccoli:

2 Likes

Camel is perfectly OK to eat, why would camel sausages be a problem? (& probably dromedary rather than camel :wink:)

1 Like

It’s the humpy bit in the middle, Véro, bit watery for my taste…, and they do spit in the pan, I find.

2 Likes

Just the thought of it I suppose, a bit like horse. I’m not keen on sausages at the best of times. This was a set lunch so i didnt choose my food. Although I’m a meat eater I don’t eat a lot and if my husband didn’t love meat so much I could happily be vegetarian.

1 Like

It’s not weakness and I don’t think it helps for any of us to beat ourselves up about it nor to try and find a “label”…I’ve never been “vegan”…I don’t support animal rights extremists such as peta…but do support the UK’s BUAV…I also think cctv in all abbatoirs would be a good idea to get the psychos sacked…many years ago on the few occasions we ate out then I used to order steak and pepper sauce…it wasn’t long before I realised that it was the pepper sauce and chips I really liked and nothing to do with the steak…,.x :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree Helen about the CCTV in abbatoirs. There are some pretty horrific things that go on when they think no-one is looking.

4 Likes

well doe you, stand by your principals. choosing your diet is empowering yourself. not weakness

1 Like

I watched one several days ago…it wasn’t uk or France…think it was New Zealand…before they even got to an abbatoir…at a meat auction…hundreds of calves taken from their moms immediately after birth…barely able to stand and a psycho was filmed picking them up by two legs and hurling them over barriers onto concrete…cctv should be in all abbatoirs and auctions too if that footage was deemed acceptable by the industry…I knew someone back in uk who did some construction work at an allegedly halal slaughter house…it was disgusting and the place got reported and closed down…not only the cruelty but the out and out violations of environmental health regs…

2 Likes

Yes I saw that one as well. Actually, I saw just the beginning. I can’t bear to watch these things any more.

3 Likes

I know…and I’m not discussing it in any attempt to sway opinion…I did watch it as always with tears in my eyes as I feel there has to be a better way…we’ve farmed for eons…had respect for earth and seasons and land and livestock and the rhythm of life…now it seems like “a corporate financial virus” has infected everything…the psychos in abbatoirs and at auctions are a symptom…a callous disregard for life driven by needing to meet the next months payments…a symptom but not the cause…I still think they should be sacked though…,

3 Likes

Marmite, and friends brought us a jar as a gift, :unamused: if you’re desperate, need a fix :rofl:

1 Like

There’s a woman, Dr. Temple Grandin, here in the US who’s written about and made significant changes toward the humane treatment of animals in slaughterhouses… Had you heard of her perhaps? She has a couple of books out, and I got to attend a talk she gave about 5 years ago at a librarians’ conference.

http://grandin.com/

On a slightly different topic, her book on animals and how we relate to them (as pets) is one that I own. I read it a while ago. Can’t recall if she talks about her work on making more humane the process in slaughterhouses, in this one:

http://grandin.com/inc/animals.make.us.human.html

3 Likes

Temple Grandin is an absolutely fascinating person, being autistic gives her a unique way of seeing things. Her work is amazing.

3 Likes

Thanks for the links Mary…I had never heard of her…I read some of the pages on her website about the design and management of slaughter houses and animal welfare…and I would think she has probably influenced groups like Compassion in World Farming…??? Then I watched her on a TED talk…she seems like an incredible lady…x :slight_smile:

1 Like