Mother's Day in the UK

Today is Mother’s Day in the UK.

To all those celebrating I wish you all a lovely day. For all those missing their Mum’s today I send love and support.

6 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up, Mandy, I would have missed that one! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

If it were not for Mums… none of us would be here… so Mums are certainly worth celebrating… :hugs::heart:

1 Like

Of course, it is not MD in France, but I celebrate it anyway…

Given some portions of this homemade cake to my neighbours today… both families have reason to be sad … but this is so delicious it has brought a smile to their faces… as well as smudging chocolate everywhere…

OH was anxious that there would be none left for him… but, all is well.

3 Likes

That looks yummy :yum:

It is chocolate cake with a chocolate/cream mousse-type top…

The cake is supposed to have brandy in it, but Jeanne hates alcohol so I made this one teetotal …

It is meant to have icing sugar sprinkled over the top and decoration of raspberries or whatever plus pouring cream… but we have settled for this whittled-back version and do not feel it lacks anything. (except the brandy says OH)…

1 Like

Thank you Mandy, have a great day with your mum.
We always celebrated the French M D and usually tried to have a day out or do something special.
Of course today is really poignant as well, missing my dear mum so very much …

6 Likes

If you were nearer, you could have shared the cake… :upside_down_face::hugs::hugs:

3 Likes

A couple of years we wound up clebrating both.

Father’s day is the same.

It’s ssoooooooo unfair :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thank you Mandy,
Lost my mum 52 yrs ago and still miss her everyday.
Stella, I really have to fancy chocolate and I fancy a slice of that cake :yum:

1 Like

It’s 29 years since I lost my mum and I can still laugh out loud at some of the things she said and the jokes we had together

2 Likes

I know how fortunate I am to still have my lovely Mum.

Sending love and hugs to you today xxx

1 Like

I have very few happy memories of my own mother… (that’s life)… but have many, many happy memories of MiL and so many other mothers, ladies I have met over the years…I’m a Mum and so is my daughter… all of the happy memories go into one big pot of sunshine and smiles…

That is Mother’s Day for me… in whichever country… :hugs::hugs::hugs:

2 Likes

Blimey Stella, your MIL must have been an exception…certainly as far as mine was concerned…

I couldn’t stand being in the same room as the bloody woman…ironically, I was her favourite son in law.

Can’t think why; I did everything I could to stop her talking to me.

They should have the same day throughout the world for Mother’s Day, would save on the stupid conversation we’ve had with our respective mother’s every year since 2005 - ‘are you doing anything special today to celebrate?’, no because it’s not fooking MD here!

I’ve had two MIL’s so far, the first had a thing about her age and refused to get a bus pass so that people wouldn’t know how old she was, her wrinkled face and white hair were a clue but I never mentioned that. The current one scared the kids when they were little and still does even though they’re all in their twenties, like Bob I try not to speak to her but that’s often difficult as we stay with the in-laws when we go back to the UK. The woman has no sense of humour and doesn’t like my jokes, bit like some on here.:grinning:

@Codfanglers and @tim17

My MiL realized, pretty swiftly, that I adored her 2nd son … that did give me some Brownie Points…

She and I did not always see eye to eye… clipped words were sometimes exchanged… but animosity never took root.

Only one particularly difficult occasion, when I really had to stand my ground… against the whole pack of them… (only OH was on my side)… anyway, I felt really sick inside but refused to concede…

Many years later, actually while I was with her in her last hours… she confided in me that it was just as well that I had not given-way on that occasion… so long ago… and she thanked me for taking such good care of her son.

I was very lucky… others have had the proverbial MiL from Hell… but, my one was basically a nice person… :hugs:

1 Like

I took on four kids under 6 after their father fooked off, didn’t get me any brownie points. What more could a saint (sorry SIL) do?:grinning:

Wow… you were very brave… and, by the sound of things… you’ve had a raw deal.

Edit: MiL apart… have you enjoyed being Dad to those kids … :upside_down_face::hugs::hugs:

I’ve never been bothered what people thought of me so couldn’t care less about MIL who is totally motivated by money and wealth, the kid’s father is a dentist and couldn’t compete with that sort of earning potential so I was never going to be well thought of. Ironically the guy is a lazy bastard and spends all that he earns and we’ve probably accumulated more asset wealth than him despite bringing up four children.

As regards to being a stepfather, it’s been hard at times but I wouldn’t have changed a thing.

2 Likes

Money is ok to pay bills… but personal relationships are worth so much more… glad you enjoyed the kids… :hugs: