Move to France, But Where?

Hi Ross again -

Just a thought (as I have had 2 of these dropped though the letter box this morning) - do you and your wife subscribe or buy any of' the French magazines' like 'Living France', 'France' or 'French Property News'...

Like here on SFN in these magazines there is so much helpful information ie financial,legal, health, property etc and interesting reading made by all by people who live or deal with la belle France on a daily basis....

Don't buy completely isolated, unless of course that is what you want, and don't just do for the sunshine, it will not be there all the time, but cetainly a lot more in the UK. As I mentioned yesterday, in our region, parts of Provence gets very cold in the winter....(also there are very strict rules what you can do or not ie if you want to renovate, extent including adding a pool to ie the Luberon, as a agricultural part of France)....but it's still lovely, as you will still have that lovely blue clear sky on a very regularly basis....but you will hear lots of lovely things from everybody, as we have all chosen that part of French we love....

So again - good luck.... :)

Ross,

Please tell me more. We have a MOD Pension £1100 pounds per month and pull down 12k per year from investments with Kentingtons. The investments are now subject to the Social Tax. Our first Tax Return will be completed next year. Will we see a reduction in TH?

Here’s a high level summary of income tax 2013:

http://www.completefrance.com/living-in-france/finance/french_personal_taxation_2013_1_1805687

Ross ,

I don`t do QS work - not much demand for it in France - I do pre purchase surveys for mostly English speaking house hunters.

Hi Ross, firstly, what a great idea to do this, I wish we'd thought of it 9 years ago! Second, If you're not already, check out various immo sites in the areas you're initially interested (seloger, logic immo are online sites that carry much of the local immo agence properties) for taxe fonciere and d'habitation info, it's sometimes stated on the ad and if not the agent will have the info. There are several English sites that give useful area info too.

I'm not sure if the Marie sites for the areas have the general info online, very likely, but probably in French...

We live in the Var near the coast. Because of the tourists, many of the towns are year-round towns as opposed to ghost towns in the winter. We did get snow - twice! - this winter and always get enough frost to necessitate bringing in the less hardy plants. Now, it's cold and overcast (heating on) while yesterday was sun tan weather. Summers are hot, but rarely unbearable. We absolutely love it!!!

Ross your estimate of 1700€ is that based on the exchange rate at this moment as fluctuations do make a difference we came over just over two years ago the rate then was 1.16 to the £ as it went up our money improved not a lot but gave us a little more to throw about in the shop, at 1700€ you probably wont pay tax habitation once you have filled in your first tax return that is the deciding factor it saves us 600€ per year

Ross, like you we planned, studied and saved in readiness for a final cut and run. A particularly bad takeover by an Anglo-American partnership (me) and a crumbling education system (OH) caused a rethink and we moved on our 51st birthday year. Our chosen area was the Aude where we have owned a house for 12 years. It’s the best thing we have done. Our only tear came at Christmas time.

All I would say is look at facilities. We had a check list before we bought;
Edge of village
Bakery in village
Village shop
Bar
Wine Co Operative
Airports within an hour
Swimming nearby

For us Pepieux in the Aude provided everything. And more.

We enjoyed warmth and sunshine until Dec, Jan and Feb are tiresome due to no central heating, March has returned temps to 17 degrees.

Your outgoing planning seem reasonable. We are currently recording every Cent spent to give a true picture over the first 12 months. It may be useful if you wish.

Hi Ross,

Lots of good advice here already.

We rented when we first arrived & we were so glad we did - the Tarn et Garonne area looked wonderful in summer when we arranged the tenancy but the winter was a different matter altogether - cold/fog/rain.

We looked at the south east around Carcassonne but too windy - eventually settling in the Dordogne - nevertheless as we are in a large land mass the winters can be cold - but as has been said elsewhere the South West probably offers the best overall climate.

I am a chartered surveyor and cover the whole of south west France from the Charente to the Pyrenees and I am always pleased to get back to our area in the southern part of the Dordogne & feel we chose the best area.

Hi Ross

As already mentioned, make big efforts over the next 2 years (intensive courses etc) to get your French to a reasonable level, not Pidgin, especially if you need to communicate with contractors to install solar panels/geothermal heating/insulation or whatever.

You said you'll be retiring, but are only in your 40s. I'm surprised no-one so far has mentioned the issue of health care. Unless the EU can get this sorted out properly (they're working on it), after your S1* runs out you will have no entitlement to health care, you will be expected to either work or to pay for private health insurance which can be very expensive. But let's hope this is sorted out before you come over to live here.

The SW area of Gers/Landes is a lovely climate. The Landes is rather flat and boring but just over the border in the Gers the land is gently rolling hills, covered in vines, maize and sunflowers, and lots of lush green trees. Yes it can get hot in summer, but winters are usually mild - snow is rare, if it comes it only lasts a couple of hours, max 1 day (this year was an exception, it lasted 2 days!). Airports - Bordeaux, Toulouse, Biarritz, Pau, Tarbes/Lourdes. No motorways in the Gers, but on the borders (new A65 Bordeaux to Pau) plus the old dual carriage way from Bordeaux to Bayonne/Spain is being upgraded to a motorway. Pyrenees stunning to see in the distance, reachable in 2 hours. And you can pop to Spain in a couple of hours if you fancy a change!

Bonne chance!

*confirmation of rights from the UK, valid for a max of 2 years but may be less, depending on your contributions over the previous 2 years in the UK.

Well said.

Ross, as others have said, it will come down to choice and we all have our favourite spots, but after three régions (Paris, Burgundy/Jura, Corrèze) I have to say that the Corrèze for me, leaves the others literally for cold. Looking at the map we are probably South-Centre France but leaning South-East.

The SW is also relatively expensive as our recent (app.12months ago) revealed. The Lot is probably one of the most underrated and a bit cheaper than the Dordogne, but for us the Corrèze has been a revelation. Much better prices on property for starters, and the weather is mild although gets warm in the Summer. Even though we are adjacent to one of the coldest régions - the Cantal, here we seem to have a microclimate that is very favourable BUT and it is a big but, this only applies (we are told) to the Southern part of the Corrèze. Certainly this past winter saw some snow, but shortlived, unlike the Jura!

Shopping dépends on a car of course, and the Centre is NOT well served by TGV or even trains for some reason. Local bus services are not bad, but need planning around. However you can go to a multitude of towns from where we are - centred on Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne, within an hour or less. Brive being the biggest at 35 mins away, Souillac at 1 hour, Limoges/Cahors 1.5 hours etc.

Activities are very well catered for with everything from Jazz and Classical Concerst (many free) to International cInema, Book Fairs to Theatre.

The area Corrèze/Lot/Dordogne is of course blessed with a mass of notably Medieval History and Chateaux and Villes almost everywhere. I have just completed a book of illustrations of these and stopped at the 6Oth one, as it was getting ludicrous! Downside can be the extensive tourism but here at least the supermarkets seem to have got it worked out that the onrush doesn't hold up the shopping lines too much. There are many, many places (such as ours) where tourism doesn't reach, so we have our haven of peace as well.

I am sure others will tell you their tales of Heaven and sometimes Hell, but you should use your current 'wish-list' as a good guide. However, be careful in the expectation of making a living, as again others will explain running any sort of business here is fraught with frustrations of the bureaucratic type. Your net income seems quite adequate to me, and my wife and I live on a lot less than that.

Good luck!

Hmm, you should really visit different parts of the country and not just int he summer, as a lot of places in France are absolutely dead in the winter....have you visited France and where and what do you like and expect from France?

With regards to speaking the lingo, I would take some lessons and as you have 2 years....the more you speak the languate the easier it will be for you....

We have a place on the border of the Bouches-du-Rhone and the Vaucluse, we do still not live there, but have over the years been looking around and at different times of the year, and believe you me Provence gets very cold in the winter!

Whatever you decide - good luck - there's always lots of good advice from people on this website....

Lis :)

There one here in the region of Uzes that would fit to what you wrote. Its a property (secondary home) of a Swiss person who, for health reason is going back to Bern. Here you even could bring your machines for garden furniture. Its a bit between Var and Vacluse and really touristic only for 4 month p.a. but the town (8000 people) is really great. Google it.

Been in Moux, Aude, for 5 years. It is the perfect climate, not too hot in summer, not too cold in winter, although we do have some snow in winter, not much though and it's short lived. Much quieter, Mediterranean lifestyle here (takes years off you). There are plenty of foreigners around - our village of 350-ish souls has about 20 Brits/Irish, Dutch, German, Belgians, plus lots of Spanish influence, making it a very friendly place to live. I also live and work in the area (the communications are great with the Motorway network we have and lots of Ryan Air/Easy jet flights to all points of the UK from multiple airports). Give departments 09, 11, 34 and 66 a good look as I'm sure you will find exactly what you are looking for, and find/work with a good Agent! 120k will get you property down here but don't expect lots of garden! Bon Chance! Peter

I think it is a wonderful idea to move to France. We started out in Paris, but we've moved to the countryside because we now have kids so we needed a bigger house. We ended up buying two houses in the same village (altogether for half the price of our small Paris flat...) We are in Burgundy, north of Lyon, in a medieval village with what they call "tous commerces" which means our village has a pharmacy, shops, a few eateries, schools, doctors et cetera. It caters to many of the smaller villages around here where there is nothing but farms and private homes. When you search for a house, it is really important, in my humble opinion, to decide what you mean by "living in the countryside". I wouldn't want to be in a smaller village than ours, and yet I'm a real fan of peace and quiet and I want to have easy access to nature. I have all of that here, plus I don't have to take the car to go shopping or see a doctor.

Another aspect is the social life. Here in our village there are about a thousand inhabitants, and we've counted 23 nationalities so far. I would NOT say it is "overrun with expats", as some have lived here long enough to become more or less frenchified or have infact French roots, and what with the mixture of nationalities you never get the feeling that one or the other dominates. I am Swedish, my husband is Slovak, our closest neighbours are English, Irish, Danish and of north African descent. We find that the neighbours play a big part in our life here and in why we love it so much. They are our support system now that we have left our respective countries. They are the ones we go to if we need explanations about how to go about French bureaucracy, they are the ones we ask advice from pertaining to renovations and upkeep of the houses. They are also around for birthday parties, they provide a shoulder to cry on from time to time, and there is an endless stream of little things changing hands every day: cups of flour, dvd's, books in English, used furniture, vegetables from people's gardens, bottles of wine. We live like hobbits here.

Think about this as you choose your house. It's all about location, as they say, but that entails a lot more than a nice view. One can end up feeling isolated as it is, once the initial buzz wears off and one finds oneself in a foreign country. It is good to make new connections. The quiet forests aren't going anywhere, you can enjoy them at any moment without having to give up the comfort, security and fun provided by neighbours.

Our village is called Saint Gengoux Le National. You should visit! Burgundy is not highranking in terms of Brits choosing a home in France, but I think many find it a sort of hidden treasure. And of course, the wine is superb! :-)

Good luck!

Not sure, believe it is available on the internet but can't remember where - your agent immobilier will be able to tell you for each individual property - try a search on SFN, it has been discussed.

You must live in a place ( the same place) - in any country - for at least one year. You rent ( borrow if lucky) but do not buy.
You will thus possibly attune to the seasonal / local mood changes.
It gives you a thumbnail sketch of what might happen ( just might ) Remember country is not town. There is a running joke about Londoners moving a couple of hours out of THE City to the Shires, and their reception from the locals.
You are not moving out of London.

You are moving to a different culture.

For that price I guess you will be looking at interior of France, with not many employment/self employment opportunities available. Here in Burgundy there are some amazing houses at great prices but no work available within an hours drive. Having been looking at house prices today in Burgundy as we would like to move for the kids schools - problem is best schools are in Beaune - out of our price range.

You mention your budget for outgoings, make sure you check the taxe fonciere and taxe d'habitation for wherever you buy, it can make a huge difference. We pay 2200€ per year in a small town, my best friend pays just 400€ for the same amount of space in a tiny hameau - admittedly with no facilities but big difference in monthly outgoings. Don't rely on any income for some time as most movers would agree, it always takes longer than people think to generate an income,. Work your figures on your fixed income then party on the extras.

Hear, hear, really thought Spring had arrived yesterday, now we're wondering if it's going to be warm enough for the Fete de Bouzeron on Sunday.