Moving to France in November

When living in France… Health Costs are not covered totally (unless you have a specific serious health situation) and there is virtually always something for the patient to pay.

Some folk gamble on not falling ill, not having a nasty accident… etc etc. Many pay for full cover while sorting out getting into the French system… and most will pay for a “top-up” insurance once they are into the system.

Frankly, unless you do have lots of money… it’s not worth the risk, especially as insurance can be so cheap… and, the younger the better…

Whatever, it’s up to the individual to make the decision, but it needs to be thought about…

Fabien is our trusted insurance contact… you can contact on the link below

best of luck.

1 Like

For listening there are numerous resources online & a very large number of French language videos on Youtube.

Hi Ben,

This is actually my first post and I’m in a similar situation to you!

I’m buying a house in Charroux (Vienne) and we complete on the 7th Dacember so I’ll be moving over permanently then. I’m still working through quite a few things, but this is what I’ve got so far that might help you…

1. you have to let HMRC know that you will no longer be a tax resident and they’ll send you a form. And then find an accountant, at least to deal with year 1. I have my own company in the UK and I’m still working through the best way to pay myself in France. Leaning towards setting up a French branch!

2. I’ve found a healthcare plan for non actives that I’m planning on using for six months… Until all of my tax situation is clear and I’m a fully functioning French tax resident. EHIC won’t cut it. The NHS is a residency based entitlement, so if you’re trying to claim you are a resident in France before 31/12, you can’t be a UK resident and still rely on UK health provision via EHIC.

3. I looked at Britline, but their fees seemed high when you added them all up. Now that I have a French phone number, I’m applying for an orange online account which seems to be cheaper and has good reviews. I also have a Transferwise account, which is great for currency exchange and general use, but the IBAN it gives you is Belgian and it isn’t universally accepted in France. It should be by EU law, but that’s not helpful when you’re trying to sign up for things online and your French isn’t good enough yet to have an arguement about it! I couldn’t use it for insurance for example.

4. the French carte de séjour site tells you what you need but the key thing seems to be having a permanent address. Either a long term rental, or your own home, and being able to supply utilities bills along with that. There is a provision if you’re staying with somebody on a long term basis, but they would need to provide their residency details. It doesn’t look to me like a short-term rental or a long - term Airbnb would cut it for example. And long term renting in France seems to be quite a tricky process! What’s your situation?

I’m then leaving my application for my Carte de Séjour until I have enough evidence that I meet the other requirements… Payslips, bank statements etc. This doesn’t have to be in place by 31/12.

Do you have a French phone number? That seems to be a pre-requisite for signing up to anything! Just get a cheap SIM for now and sort out a contract when you have an address. Free have kiosks in lots of places and you don’t need your passport to sign up. Otherwise in shops I think you do.

I spent the last month in Bordeaux improving my French at a language school (previously just school French, not even up to GCSE, but a couple of months off intensive Duolingo, Clozemaster, oui podcast, Duolingo podcast and Memrise improved it to an A1. 1 level by the time I got there, and I left at B1. Still a lot to work on… I find listening and therefore conversation has improved, but is still tricky. I’m watching all TV with French subtitles, and I watched a lot of French TV in France. Its not the greatest, but its helpful for learning! I would try and get in as much practice as possible. I’m sure you can get away without it, but I think with all the admin we’re about to have to deal with will be so much easier if you understand what’s going on and converse, even on a basic level!

Good luck… I’m really excited about my move and have found various threads on this site particularlly helpful!

Rebecca Davies

4 Likes

Are you 100 per cent sure about this?
Transition ends on 31.12.20.
If I had to prove the regularity of my status as economically active in France before the end of transition I would not feel easy relying on an employment contract or a business registration with a start date some time in 2021
You can apply later on of course but I thought your justificatifs have to have start dates in 2020.
You may be right of course but it is a big risk to take if you are not sure.

The other issue to check on is that I have heard that the appeal system is different after 31/12/20 if for any reason your application is refused. Don’t know precisely what this is, but I would check if there is the slightest doubt.

But the requirement Rebecca lists relate not to proof of arrival or residence in France, but to income - if you become resident just before the end of the year you’re unlikely to have proof of income before 2021, even if the proof relates to December income.

1 Like

Be useful to have the thoughts of @toryroo on this thread…

I do not understand Geoff, I apologise for being dense.What I was trying to say was, no matter when you submit paperwork relating to your situation in December, that paperwork presumably will be e xpected to show that you were exercising freedom of movement correctly. If yo ur December 2020 payslip was is sued to you as a UK resident paying nics you cannot alter that retospectively and it may not help your application.

Oh - I agree with you there Geoffrey - I just assumed she meant French payslips etc (though thinking about it it could be UK payslips for a posted worker).

My understanding is that you just need to show residency by the 31st…with a permanemt address and utilities.

The other bits aren’t ‘date stamped’ in the same way from my reading of the supporting documents required.

You need to show you can/have been supporting yourself which means having health insurance and either a job or other financial means. I’m taking out health insurance to cover me until all of that gets sorted (which I’m assuming will take a while!) and I can also demonstrate financial means, with or without the job (which I probably should have said!). I will be becoming a tax resident as soon as that can be set up, but that’s reliant on a 3rd party (albeit my own company) paying me in France, and all of the complications that go along with setting that up, so it isn’t straight forward. For starters, I need a French address, so it’s all very chicken and egg! Once I move, I’ll probably stop paying myself in the UK in the interim, as a precaution, so I’m an ‘inactive’, just to keep things simple and avoid any ambiguity over tax status.

I don’t think it’s possible for a new arrival to realistically submit anything before the end of the year…or for there to be sufficient evidence, especially if you move at the last minute, to demonstrate the requirements have been met by that point. You can have a utility contract in place for example, but you might not have a bill… That’s not to say a bill that arrives after 31st Dec doesn’t cover the period required. The deadline is the 30th June for a reason. I haven’t seen anything that says an application after 31/12 would be treated differently… I’d be interested to know where that comes from…and even if that is the case, for all of the reasons above, there isn’t much to be done about it!!

I’m confident that I will meet the requirements though, initially as an inactive with sufficient funds, and then as a fully paid up member of French society via the tax /social security system.

If you’re moving to France without any accommodation or means to support yourself, then that probably is going to be a hard sell.

That does make all the difference! I see what you are doing now.

It isn’t massively clear I don’t think but my understanding is that for the late arrivals it them being here by the end of the year that is the number 1 issue. In terms of being ‘lawfully resident’ this is the WA UK definition:
Lawfully resident - an EU citizen or a UK national lawfully resides in the host state
in accordance with free movement law before the end of the transition period. This
includes the right of residence, irrespective of whether it is a permanent right of
residence, its duration (e.g. an arrival in the host state one week before the end of
*the transition period and residing there as a job-seeker is sufficient and irrespective *
of the capacity in which these rights are exercised (as a worker, self-employed
person, student, job-seekers, etc).
They have said they are trying to help not hinder applications and I think a new arrival setting up a business, applying for healthcare etc is showing all the right things to prove intention to live her. Also with covid they understand that things are not normal and are also taking that into account.

Welcome Rebecca, good luck with all the red tape :+1:

1 Like

Welcome Rebecca.

Actually it doesn’t even need to be that much, they are being very obliging and have included:
In case of accommodation with a third party: certificate from the host, dated and signed, copy of the host’s identity card or passport or residence permit, and proof of the host’s address if the address on his/her identity card, passport or residence permit is outdated.

Sounds like you are OK to apply as an inactif but I thought I’d share some links for you regarding the setting up a business side:
https://www.urssaf.fr/portail/files/live/sites/urssaf/files/documents/5015-GuideCNFE-UK-2017.pdf

Thank you!!

There’s a lot of paperwork, but I agree… The impression I get is that the purpose isn’t to look for reasons to kick you out!

Will read through what you’ve sent… Its my final thing to sort out! For now at least…

The French are being remarkably gracious about it all! Given that we are putting them to a lot of work they did not wish for this is great.

I’m still trying to remember the text about appeals - which looks unlikely that you would need. And indeed unlikely for many as France are making this so easy. Maybe Tory knows, but it was something along the lines of if for any reason your request is denied then having applied with time to rectify any issues is the best thing to do. As if you have to appeal after the end of the transition period (or post-transition period) , even if up your appeal is successful you can no longer get withdrawal agreement rights as it is out of time.

Hi Rebecca,
I really appreciate your honest response. My mum lives in France andthe flat is in my brothers name. So, I will be staying there. I am doing a lot of French practice and can understand most written information but slow with spoken formats like the news.

Hi Rebecca, if you don’t want to wait for the form to be sent to you from HMRC you can get all you need at this link. There’s even a guide to help you.
All the best
Izzy x

I moved here a year ago and have just been through first year of french tax and awaiting a refund ( I hope ) from HMRC for tax paid in uk after moving here via a double taxation claim. Check out www.club95.fr. very good service and held my hand through all of it. Mail is: club95@wanadoo.fr.

Thought that I’d mention that the HMRC refund comes by way of a (UK) cheque.