Moving to France... Things you WISH you'd put on the removal lorry

You can get coriander seeds at Botanic, and my local Intermarche has Marmite, not that I care as it’s not my thing. I suppose different regions cater for the Brits differently. We have a fab international shop called Mondial Market that stocks food from the far east as well as the UK.

I’m bringing Coriander seeds! - the growing kind… Once we get unpacked i’ll start off a little nursery I think… anyone who wants a few herbs plants welcome to call by… Not sure you can grow your own Marmite sadly
x T

Coriander and More Marmite!

You need to buy a Kindle - it’s on my wish list! As for real books, if someone can find a cheap way of sending them I’m up for it.
There’s nothing to beat lying in the bath with a good book, a glass of wine and a bar of chocolate (preferably a creme egg - cheers Teresa). Mind you , I do need to invest in a bathroom door lock as well!

@ Judith you could try Lakeland for cleaning products they deliver to France and are well tested.

Suz
www.UK4Me.co.uk
UK Stores Delivering Overseas

or Yoodoo which is cheaper than Moonpig! Find them on our website www.UK4Me.co.uk we often have a discount code for them.

Suz
www.UK4Me.co.uk

don’t you only need the card for Channel 5 anyway?

Annette, have you tried DIYTools, you can find them on our website. Also do lots of good quality hooks, knockers & ironmongery which also seems either rubbish or expensive here.
Suz
www.UK4Me.co.uk

I’m loving the radish quiche!! There’s just nothing a quiche can’t do!!

Not sure if you know, but Fecule de Mais is cornflour - and it’s not so expensive! I use a lot of bicarb of soda as part of my cleaning routine… though I’ve found most cleaning stuff to be of a similar price.

Cornflour, Brillo Pads, all cleaning products, they are so much more expensive here and not so strong, English Tea,
Well hung beef, (I dream of well hung Rib of Beef)
Good luck with the move

thanks Sarah, what a brilliant list. . . especially the last paragraph, I have the bottle, I learnt patience in Ireland, but I may still pack a few romantic expectations!

I’m not allowed any more books though.

And…there have to be sausages within a days drive or the husband will be packing a couple of pigs and a mincing machine.

xT
Up Stix to France

ooh yes louise re the beef! & we’re even luckier as we can walk to a local farm where he rears and sells his own limousin beef - almost melts in the mouth & no need for steak knives if you have the cote de boeuf. but anything from the boucherie/charcuterie is usually better than the supermarche.

Lol! We brought quite a bit of stuff but like many posters below I wish we’d brought more of the following:

Even more books - raid all charity shops within 100 mile radius of your UK home…NOW!
Cards & notelets - Cards in France are mainly crap & hyper expensive. Most have a photo of a gorilla on them.
Stacks of English magazines - Any type of magazine, anything! Carp World can look good after a few months, believe me!
Cheddar cheese - bring as much as you can fit in the car. You can get it here but it’s astronomically expensive. While, obviously, French cheese is much better than UK cheese, hard cheddars are not widely available.
Alpen
Custard Creams
Olbas Oil
Ragu
Earl Grey Tea bags
Yes, PAINT!
Hoover bags
Set of cheap Primark clothes for each season - it will take you a long time to find the clothes shops you can afford & like.
My partner would say: A hairdresser! Men’s hair cuts are Eric Cantona Autumn/Winter & Eric Cantona Spring/Summer. That’s it. Both cuts are v short all over.
If you have pets then get stock of any vet supplies - not all types are sold over here
Bizarrely enough, maps of the local area - maps are v expensive here & if you like walking/cycling etc good maps are important as there are lots of public rights of way

Things I didn’t need to bring!

Sausages - not that I did! But sausages here are great - not sold everywhere but usually main supermarkets - I think better than English ones
Tomato sauce - yes, you can buy it in the supermarket
Crisps - you can get those too
Sliced bread - OK. I know this is France but sometimes you yearn for sliced bread - & you can have it! They sell it in the supermarket
Painkillers - Pharmacies sell everything including a good neurofen ibuprofen/codine substitute called Codoliprane

But, at the end of the day, I haven’t really found anything major I can’t do without or get a substitute for - usually one that’s better & cheaper. But if I did this again I would bring a whole lot more patience with me, a bit more bottle and not as many outlandishly romantic expectations!

S
xxx

1 Like

Why can’t you record? We do, our Sky system functions exactly as in uk, except we can’t "buy"films from box-office - too complicated as they think our box/card are in uk…

Ohh, Noo, go to a proper “boucherie” ask for cote du boeuf and cook it on high teperature for ONLY 15 MINS!!!
Better than anything a British cow ever produced…

Use “Moonpig” for birthday cards. I send all my UK (and even French) cards via this system. Really handy if you’re a “last-minute” person like me; no rushing around trying to find the one decent card in the whole of Maisons-Laffitte then realising you haven’t got any stamps for sending to UK left and even if you have you’ve missed the post…

Paint- I still (after almost 10 years) haven’t found any French equivalent to good-old UK gloss, so buy mine when I’m back there visiting. Have, however, adopted French habit of painting everything by roller - much quicker!!

Enjoy France, the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages

See above

And you can always use the Creme eggs as currency should times get hard…

Alternative to a Sky Box is a simple Freesat receiver, no card required. I use ours for the radio more than the TV and rebroadcast the audio using a small transmitter so that I can listen on using a small transistor radio (that suddenly sounds old) anywhere around the house/garden.