Mumbo-jumbo

Of books to read?

I find the writings of a bygone era fascinating for the way they record the then norms of human interaction, whether that’s Rudyard Kipling or Thucydides. Not that I would claim to be widely read, but it is interesting.

2 Likes

Agreed absolutely, totally different cultures and ways of thinking. Thucydides was a startling revelation to me and today, as he once did,I view events in my country of origin from the often advantageous perspective of an exile (albeit it exiled by choice - haven’t been back for two years and probably never will)

I also remember the following Kipling poem on the cover(?) of the magazine section of The Guardian in 2006 when the UK was about to go into Afghanistan (predictable rather than prescient outcome of that venture!). Very pleased to find the whole article within seconds at:-

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2006/jul/11/wrap.jamessturcke

And for those who don’t like reading The Graun -the original poem reads:-

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An’ go to your Gawd like a soldier.

3 Likes

Le-Dolly

1h

you want off piste, I used to visit Sambo’s Grave twice a month.

Thanks! Very intriguing but had to look that one up even though I thought that I knew the region quite well and have done the walk across Morecambe Bay with Cedric Robinson (bare feet all the way). I used the experience of that walk and of twelve years living on the Solway coast to write an account ot the local littoral and its unusually high tidal range.

We often take for granted the comings and goings of the tide, but it’s an interesting subject - see

https://www.academia.edu/441229/Traversing_the_Wet_Sahara_

I have the Danish translation of LBS (lille sorte Sambo) and loved the English one when I was a tiny child. No tigers in Africa so I thought LBS must in fact be Tamil.

I used Mumbojumbo in the title of this thread because I was going to call it bollocks but feared that I might, as I so often do, offend with my foul language.

If I have offended go and have a sound bath to help you recover :grin:

Snakker du dansk?

No but I can read it :grin: as I discovered in Copenhagen! Let me know if you are in Berg during the hols, we can go for coffee if you like :blush: