Mutuelle abroad

Sorry, that’s europesure

I’m a bit confused, we seem to be taking about mutuelles and (UK?) EHIC’s in the same breath. Surely if you are in a position to have a mutuelle EHIC is irrelevant.

Assuming you have French health rights because of an S1, a mutuelle will only top-up costs in France.
They won’t give you a French EHIC (CEAM).
You need an English EHIC to pay for some of your costs outside of France.

Bear in mind James that in some countries you don’t have any top up costs.
In the UK for instance, your German EHIC would cover the full cost of treatment, because it’s UK national policy that healthcare costs are covered in full.
Could be wrong but I think France may be unusual in the EU in requiring relatively high co-payments.

British OAPs living in Europe can have their health costs paid from the U.K. by being issued an S1. They use that to ‘pay for’ their Carte Vital. The CV covers @70% of the medical costs in France an optional Mutielle can be bought to make up the shortfall. If these OAPs want a European Health Card for when they travel they apply for an EHIC from the U.K. not a CEAM from France. I believe that they can also opt to have operations etc in National Health hospitals despite being French residents.

True.

That’s true. About 15 years ago I had a minor injury in the UK and had it treated in a hospital outpatients free. They didn’t even need an E111!
But my wife went to a doctor in Spain, and if I remember rightly there was quite a lot the EHIC didn’t cover.
If you have a long term problem, a good travel insurance will cover a medical transport, with an air ambulance if necessary, back to your country of residence.