My son's school won't accept him back next year - advice and help sought please!

We had a problem with my son with one teacher. All the other teachers gave a reasonable report. My son was "average" but had that bit of invisible thread attached to his upper lip. The teacher in question said he was rude, ignorant etc. We left thinking "is this really the same boy?"

We came to the compromise that at the end of each term we would go and see the teacher, with son, and discuss his attitude. This done, things progressed satisfactorily. However, our older daughter had also had problems with the same teacher.

Before going ape-s..t, go and see the relevant people and try to come to some agreement/compromise, and try to get the boy with some French mates. Perhaps if they stick in an English group of friends this is seen as not wanting to integrate. I don't know. Sadly, you may have to eat humble pie and kow-tow a bit. Not good, but might help in the end. Sorry can't be of any more help but am talking with experience. Said son has gone back to UK (he's now 23, but wants to return to France with qualifications). Good luck.

That does sound harsh. They are saying that he can't come back at all, rather than saying he needs to repeat?

We are about to be told something similar for one of our boys, but more along the lines of us needing to decide if he repeats sixième or not. I know from experience that the Conseil de Classe can be a rather arbitrary process. A friend was at one as a parent délégué, and at one point it was recommended that a boy she happened to know was to repeat the year. He is slightly dyslexic, and she spoke up and explained that he was managing reasonably well and that repeating the year would serve no useful purpose. They said "Oh, OK then.". So had she not been there they would have recommended a repeat, based on poor information.

I don't know the ins and outs of the rules in your case although it is very likely worth discussing and arguing.

Hi Karen:

first of all a "conseil de classe" has no right at all to issue a sanction. It is the conseil de discipline or the headmaster who issues these. These decisions can never be taken unilateral, the "principe du contradictoire" must be applied, meaning that your son and, if needed, you as his legal representative must be given the opportunity to be heard before the final decision is taken.

The headmaster has to inform you that he considers taking a disciplinary measure and has to inform you of the u a 3 working day delay you have to defend your position. You also have the right of access to your son's scolary files. If this procedure is not correctly followed, the decision can be annulled by a judge.

If your French is good enough you can look up the articles R421-10-1 and R 511-30 through 32 of the "Code de l"Education"

@ Margo. the above stated code de l'education" applies also to the private schools, it's a minimum requirement, ensuring the rights of pupils and their parents. They can however be much more stricter in their rules and the application of it. If it's a private school then Karen would have received a copy of the applicable disciplinary rules and regulation of this school. If it's a state school then the school has the duty to help you find another school, something I'm not sure of in the case of a private school....

I'd start with the members of the conseil de classe to find out the real reason, perhaps the head or his teacher and find out how the decision was arrived at.