Never had a SPANC inspection

Regulations regarding sanitation systems etc have been in operation for decades. It's just that the requirements change on a regular basis. My system in the present house was checked about five years ago. I have a septic tank which eventually ends up in the mains system which would normally have required updating but as my house contract states I have mains drainage the Spanc just took the contract as verbatum and didn't take it any further ! I suppose i'm technically 'legal' and 'illegal' !

Your situation sounds horrendous Lynne. Yep there are aa lot of unscupulous agents out there as well as some good ones. Unfortunately you don't have recourse to take any action against them or the notaire which has always seemed wrong to me.

Good luck !

Well, I bought in 2010 about 6 months before all this came in, was only here for few months at a time going back to UK did ask about when last emptied was told pump used through barn onto field questioned this with agents, prior to signing as Vendors suggestion of pump, barn and field seemed not right was told rain water and all was fine by agent when they re- rang vendor to enquire, supplied with conformity report etc which mentioned a concern with soak away and cars driving over that area etc..breakage etc and needed to be done.....but in French and did not take this on board, it has turned out the whole thing is a mess, have had water coming back into house, damp up walls, water coming back up pipes, blown up dish washer, unable to flush loo too many times a day, take tissue on dog walks for the odd number one rather than over load the Fosse, cannot use shower regularly.......etc etc.......inspectors came, as it then flooded the garden flower beds and drive way, was emptied within 2 hours of inspectors arrival with their call for man to come. They then did soil tests etc, the rain water scenario turned out to be sewerage having had water tests, and have bill of nearly 9000 Euros for new system as instructed by inspectors, along with having to have proper drainage/gutters etc over 13,000 Euros..............my advice as I did suggest I had been advised wrongly by the agent re the rain water, but of course they felt they had both morally and legally advised, ( did not mention new laws pending and if concerned prior to signing get an expert in to check, so that I could have said, to vendor you put right, drop price or not buy) so beware of Fosse Ceptics prior to buying and REALLY check them with an expert............agents take your doe and really don't care..........I paid 16,000 Euros to the agent for purchase and am not sure what that was for!!

Yes I understand but what is written into your house contract ? Does it say 'fosse septique' or 'individuel' or whatever ? The contract carries some clout and may help you out as far as the Spanc is concerned.

We bought the house in 2005 - before all the fuss started so it was never discussed when we bought it. The owners (who are know both dead) at the time said it never needs emptying. We can understand why as it sits somewhere down a very steep hill. It must have been a challenge to have it installed as it is someway from our drive way. We suspect very large tractors were involved. The house sits in the middle of 24 hectares of land, which is mostly steep. Access to the fosse is now further impeded as the owners had planted an orchard (about 20 trees) below it making it difficult to access from below (although that would require a tractor as you need to travel about 1km from the small lane leading onto our even smaller driveway). So if we have to install a new system, it will be a logistical nightmare. Also I would say impossible to empty. We can't move it elsewhere as the house has been built so that waste is evacuated to that side of the building. Perhaps SPANC will insist we knock down the house and rebuild it?

Wasn't anything said about the system when you purchased the property ? What is written in your Acte Authentique ?

I had an inspection at my isolated cottage many years ago- I knew my system would not comply and so said the report. A tenant moved in and I think put wrong thingies down the system and neglected to add microbes, so I had to spend a bit of money. Oh and yes the other thing he did was tie his dog to the slim down pipe and the dog then tore it off the wall. The tenant is leaving, it's currently working fine for one person or holiday use only and hopefully it's been forgotten about. We have no intention to sell.

As Andrew said, new buyers have one year to comply. If you are obliged to have an inspection and are not selling the property, you have 4 years to comply.

They give you a spanc-ing

And what is the punishment for failing a SPANC inspection?

;-)

Hi Andrew

Thank you so much for your advice. I'm sorry to hear you are at work on such a glorious Sunday (it is forecast bright sunshine and 27C here in the Pays Basque - few people know we have glorious weather in Sept/Oct/Nov). I think your suggestion of pre-empting the buyer by getting Spanc to do an inspection is an excellent idea.

Karen

can't answer fully as I'm at work but basically if the fall is sufficient then a fosse or micro station can be back-filled around it as for a filter bed - that's not needed with a microstation. There are new fosses toutes eaux which use wood chippings as a filter and so don't need electricity or compressed air or a filter bed. If you're selling the house then you'll find out as soon as you get a buyer and the spanc come to see you. If I were in your shoes I'd call them myself and explain and get them to come out and have a chat so you can advise propespective buyers ;-)

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the information. However, doesn't a microstation still have to be dug into the ground? And doesn't it need electricity cables as well (which will also have to be dug into the ground?). Also, we have very little flat land - just a small piece at the back of the house. I don't think we can have anything there as it would be too close to the house.

At the moment, our grey water and sewerage disappear down a very steep slope at the side of the house. At the bottom of this slope is a massive field (3-4 hectares). In fact, because we are on top of a small mountain, we are surrounded by steep slopes which are solid rock.

And we are selling the house!

I don't think anyone is exempt, it's just a mater of time before they come and see you, don't worry it could be years! But if you sell they'll have to come and inspect and write a report - new owners have a year to make the system comply. As for the rock - there are so many possibilities now that there'll be something to overcome that (microstation for example)

More info here ;-)