New declaration required for property owners

After ten weeks wait from submitting paperwork etc, have heard today that I only have to repay the two months that the new owners paid me. Impôts wanted me to pay them the full €1200 odd they sent invoice for and then claim it back, no way José not after this charade and wait plus I don’t have it anyway. Still its a result and they are off my back and sort of mentioned it was their error, people should not have to put up with such worrying stuff in this day and age when human error makes computers send out paperwork automatically with the wrong details on it.

1 Like

Just doing the declaration des biens immobiliers. We struggled with the section on outbuildings and after a question to the tax office understood that it had to be described as occupied by the owner. The reply was just to my husband, but as the property is jointly owned we wondered if we should both be named as occupants of the outbuilding as well as the main house? Can anyone throw any light?

Normally the Impôts have you down as en division when it comes to the three taxes if you are joint owners so as long as that is on your normal paperwork I would not worry, it maybe that they only need one name.

In all our dealing with the fisc when my husband and I were together everything was always addressed to him. I think it’s a bit of a hangover from “the old days”…

1 Like

Sad tho, about time they caught up.

Think it’s a regional problem largely.

Its also extremely important to be mentioned when inheritance raises it’s ugly head. Luckily it was on all our tax forms for everything since 1989.

1 Like

I’ve given up worrying - not just the fisc, also our local garage and the heavy-duty brico store spare parts desk, among others. They look at him, I reply in French and they ask him the next question and I reply in French. :grin:

1 Like

The one that really got me was my appointment for a mammogram being sent to him!

2 Likes

That sounds somewhat familiar! However, after our experiences with the conversation group, we both wade in these days. The only person who is clearly misogynistic is the maçon but the quality of his work and that of his team is so good, I put up with it. I insist he hears me out though on the days when my partner is having a bad language day…

1 Like

Was that because you were piggy-backed onto his S1? I’m looking forward to getting something equivalent for my partner :rofl:

Yes, but still!! I know men get breast cancer but it ought to be automatic that a mammogram appt goes to a woman

Doesnt it bypass the wife and move to the eldest child?

I think it is shared out - half to wife, rest evenly to children. I’m not an expert though

Thanks - am sure you are right though I did go back in and add my name to be on the safe side. I have always thought the tax site is one of the better examples of French system design, but think this bit is not very clear at all. :fearful:

Absolutely not. If you are married UK style then its séparation des biens automatically if you are both joint owners of french property. We had donation entre époux which protects the survivor 100%. Inheritance is split then 50% to the spouse and the other 50% between the spouse and the children, my case was 75% to me and 12.5% to each child. If you marry in France you choose a régime and that applies. I had ten years of this ruling in another matter and the TGI ruled it legitimate.

1 Like

We were unaware of this. When we completed on our new house earlier this month the notaire told us that the tontine clause was no longer possible as we’d lived in France longer than 10 years so everything (in France) comes under french inheritance laws. Got another rdv with the notaire next week to get the donation stuff done. It’s not an ideal option, but better than nothing and does to some extent depend on the goodwill of offspring if one of us were to pop our clogs😬

Donation entre époux means usufruit for the surviving spouse to live in the property for as long as they want and cannot be forced out by other inheritors hence why it is a good thing to have. We only did it ten years after buying the house in joint names and then when OH died, the property was valued immediately as you have to and deemed 75% to me and the other 25% between our two children. Tontine is usually done at the same time as signing the acte de vente, after that date you cannot do it on that property. Think we paid around €90 for DEE but that was back in 98

Our notaire said its about €300 now😩

Hi, I have just started to try and fill this in but am a bit stuck. It is my holiday home and don’t go there that often at the moment and was last there in 2021 for two weeks. I have selected secondary residence and it is asking about occupancy and certain dates. How do i fill in dates, do i fill in the period when i was last there or do i fill in the date when i bought it to the present day as it is mostly unoccupied? Any help would be appreciated thanks have a great day!