New Laws on bank payment/transfers

It is good that they query… it would be awful if they ignored the possibility that someone was perhaps forging cheques… :thinking: better to be sure that the cheque book is in safe hands.

Glad they are alert…

But who is going to forge a cheque for 90p to HMRC

George Topp.

1 Like

Anyone who wants to see how lax the bank might be… ??? If the bank get used to seeing “slightly different” signatures… they might become complacent… :zipper_mouth_face:

When you get 81 calls in two days querying a signature for cheques, none of which is for a sum over £4 - and all to the taxman or other banks - then its a bit of overkill. Especially since the bank knows the nature of her business, knows there is a high volume of cheques signed at the same time and that the bank (like all banks I understand) has a standing instruction to approve signatures which are within a set standard. Ie approve if it’s 95% like it. They are also supposed to take into account the history of the account.

Returning a cheque for 91p made out to HMRC (or in one case a cheque made out to the bank itself!!) because someone thought the signature (which would be v difficult to forge!) was different is taking bank- customer relationships a bit far

George Topp.

You obviously feel aggrieved.

I wonder… with so many cheques to sign in one day… if there is an automated system/stamp which can be used… (or there used to be)… might be worth asking at the Bank…

Signing cheques is not a new thing… there was a time when many companies would have someone who literally sat and signed all day… when it was necessary. Having said that… the person would not be interrupted or rushed… as is perhaps happening with your wife…

However, you should be glad that your bank is working on behalf of it’s customers and is taking the time to query and check.

Not aggrieved just adding to the debate.

I think you’ve been away from uk banking too long. It has totally changed

Now they close branches and in that area simply have someone seconded on a phone to answer queries. I’d guess the most popular one is where do I access my money/pay in £ etc.

Anyway in my wife’s case we are talking a professional office - she doesn’t usually get interrupted but i doubt if anyone can sit and write multiple cheques, one after another, and keep the same 100% signature

It doesn’t even have to be cheques - anyone sitting and signing their name literally time after time will find the signature is not the same as the first.

The banks recognise this which is why they allow leeway in what your writing looks like.

In her case the banks regional manager had highlighted it with staff, basically saying use common sense, but with the large turnover of staff banks have nowadays that seems to be a problem

I don’t think banks use stamps nowadays - I know hers doesn’t.

George Topp.

1 Like

I’ve certainly been away from Banking for many years… but signing a cheque remains unchanged, surely. A signature is just that… my own signature has remained unchanged for anything important, since my marriage ( a lifetime ago) …ie cheques, contracts, etc etc… although I have a shortened version for informal stuff.

I would have thought folk would be swift to condemn any bank which ignored or disregarded a signature which varied from the norm. :thinking:

Two years on, I would just like to add my experiences. It’s important to remember that with online banking, it is essential to type in the codes correctly because if you make a mistake in a transfer of money, it can be fairly difficult to get the money back.
My bank has now started insisting on naming the payee. It tries to match the account number with the payee’s name. Far from being a burden, I appreciate the reassurance that the money is going to the right place.

Rather than ‘typing the codes’ I’d strongly recommend copying and pasting them.