New online car registration procedure

Cheers @anon88888878

Yep… fair enough… I’m asking all the questions… so I will know how to help folk here where I live. Our house is often a first port of call for local Brits with problems.

1 Like

One of the reasons that I was happy to walk away from 25 years of IT is the push to get sstems out of the door as quickly as possible without testing for negative conditions or error handling. The latest methodologies encourage rushed implementations followed by continuous rounds of patching up the bugs, then the bugs that the hastily concieved patches create. That approach may be OK for smartphones an small applications, but government services and large financial institutions (my ex-realm) need more care, IMHO.

Hope not to offend any other IT professinals on here with that, not my intention. Hope you understand my viewpoint.

The hman element, talking to someone abouts one’s particular case is what I used to enjoy about France. This technological revolution does not seem to inspire any of the Frech to whom I have spoken about this.

For vehicle registartions one can have a friend, neighbour or acquaintance do this on one’s behalf. Needs another piece of paper, of course, a Mandat. They upload all of your docs for you, along with the signed mandat, and then wait … I have not found anyone here that is comfortable enough with this type of thing to do it for me.

Martin… it is only a thought… but… I’m just wondering if the Insurance companies have a connection… to help their clients… ???:thinking:

@Magwych did you try connecting to the other sites with your La Poste IDN?

@anon88888878, yes it does not work there either.
2 sites have said that FranceConnect is only for French nationals and thise registered on the Securite Sociale system. I’m tending to agree that is true, but cannot understand why that should be so. It feels a bit discriminatory to me.

Without wishing to pry Martin, do you not have a Carte Vitale? My son logged onto FranceConnect just with his CV number.

Hi Timothy,
No not yet. We were staying with family during last summer, whilst looking for properties then waiting for the purchase process to complete its machinations. Whilst my brther in law was happy for us to open a bank accunt at the address, he felt that his own tax position was such that he did not want us officially living in on his gites. We moved into our own place in December 2017. I am coming up to being able to take my pensin early, and have 2 separate financial advisers looking into the multiple pensions schemes that I have to make sense of them, and to propose what they feel are my best options. Once we are clear what I am doing about that I should be able to register as “inactif” and have documentary evidence of an acceptable income. Until then I do not have a Carte Vitale.

Martin - as an EU citizen, who can prove stable residence (even as an inactif) in France you have an automatic right to affiliate to the health system / PUMA after only 3 months. ‘Acceptable’ income doesn’t necessarily come into it - even if you have low, or even no income (via the CMU-C).

@Anna will probably be along to clarify.

With Brexit approaching fast it’s a good idea to become as established as possible so entering the health system is a high priority. It’s not complicated under PUMA.

1 Like

Interestingly my application moved to “En attente Téledéclarant”. According to the FAQ it sounds like they need more info but no idea what.

Success. I have just downloaded my temporary Certificate D’Immatriculation from the online system. It has taken just over 3 weeks since I went into the Prefecture, scanned and uploaded my documents. I thought it would be helpful to go through what I did to help anyone else.
Quick background
I bought our little Clio in the UK from the Left Hand Drive Place in Basingstoke (great place if you are looking for a LHD car to buy in the UK and drive to Europe). It was registered in the UK having been imported from Germany so it had all the LHD settings from manufacture i.e. LHD lights. I insured it for use in France and ran it for 1 year until now on UK plates.

1. In December I went on the Renault website and ordered my Certificate de Conformité for about €80. It was an easy process and took about a week to be posted.
  2. I got the control technique done in France with the UK plates.
  3. I went to the nearest Beaureau des Impots (tax office), joined the queue and got a quitas fiscal (a form for used cars to prove all tax had been paid). For the quitas fiscal, I needed the original bill of sale from my purchase showing the VAT, proof of my address in UK, proof of my address in France (gas/elec bill) and photo ID.
  4. I downloaded the Immatriculation application form from the web and filled it out.
  5. I took all the paperwork to the nearest Prefecture (UK V5 certificate, Bill of Sale, Quitas Fiscal, Certificate of Conformity, Immatriculation application, Control Technique Certificate, proof of address in France, Proof of address in UK, Driving license, passport). There was a person there to help me set up my ANTs account and she uploaded (scanned) all the paperwork into the system for me. She told me to wait for an email to confirm application and I walked out.
  6. Then …… nothing! Total silence for over 2 weeks on My Space in the ANTs system.
  7. On Friday last week I got an email confirming receipt of my application.
  8. 3 working days later the status of my application changed to “En attente Teledeclarant” which, according to the FAQ, means more info is required. In my case it was simply asking me to tick boxes agreeing to the usual “I confirm that my details are accurate ……” etc etc and a payment of the registration tax circa €170 and bingo! A link to download my temporary certificate D’Immatriculation.
  9. I think the final step is for my formal document to be posted to me.
    Top tip. Get all your paperwork lined up before starting the application.
    Good luck everyone. I’m happy to answer any questions if I can.
    Ps. I’ve just sent off the form to the DVLA informing them I have exported the car.
7 Likes

Just one question, are you a UK or French resident?

I’m a UK resident.

So the car will be staying in France?

That’s correct. The car will stay in France.

1 Like

As a UK resident, it is illegal to drive a French registered car in the UK. That’s why I bought it with UK plates, drove it out there and now registered in France.
If I were doing it again, I would just buy a French car in France.

Yep - It’s just beyond me why some UK immigrants in France buy RHD cars in the UK for import and use in France. Beyond me…:-:confused:

Paul did buy a LHD car. The answer to the question why must make sense to you given your cost of living thread. People buy RHD vehicles in the U.K. and import them into France because they are cheaper than the same car bought locally. Just like fish.

Thanks for your help - again, Dave. I know Paul bought a LHD car - my comment was in reply to his final observation - duhhhhhh.

As for:

my observation would be that French 2nd hand cars hold their resale value much better and therefore when sold on you gain more - simple maths.

As a tip for the day - Dave - don’t try so hard to pick an argument with me - it’s silly.