New online car registration procedure

Come on Simon stop changing the rules. People buy vehicles in the U.K. because they see them a small being better value. What you and I think is irrelevant, I wouldn’t do it for a number of reasons but it remains a fact. Fish might be cheaper in Spain but that makes absolutely no difference to my life because I cannot buy fish there. Taking you on is too easy Simon you are predictable and so biased it’s slmost funny. I love the way you try to brush off answers that don’t suit your narrow mind. Ever thought of politics?

Nice…

@anon88888878

flattery will get you absolutely nowhere… :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I know that I am going to regret this, and apologies to all if this causes the thread to degenerate into a fish-throwing slanging match, but why is it illegal?
I do not understad what laws would be broken. So long as the vehicle is roadworthy in the country it is registered in and insured to be used in the UK by the driver it should be legal to drive, for short stay visits? Keeping it in the UK would be another question

Why do you always feel the need to “take someone on”?
The company secretary where I worked always had that need too, he was vertically challenged, what we used to call in a very politically incorrect way, “little man’s attitute”.

He probably has a big car - you know the issue - BCSD. :wink: :wink: :blush: :blush: :-:laughing:

Some of us find that the cost to change the vehicle we already own is far greater than the costs of registration :slight_smile:

And I get that Martin - it just seems so unsafe. I can’t imagine ever buying a LHD when I lived in the UK.

No idea. It’s something to do with tax and being a UK resident. I read it on the UK gov website.

sIn Some vehicles yes. My old Lotus Elise for example was a pain for overtaking in right hand traffic. On the other hand, my slow old LHD VW camper van was fine in the UK, the sea was high enough to afford good visibilty and overtaking was for everyone else :wink:
There are no hard and fast rules, we each have our own economic limits and each vehicle has its own merits and pitfalls.
Given the current political sentiment towards dino-juice powered vehicles for the masses, I personally do not intend to buy another vehicle until Hybrid/Electric/Solar/Fish powered vehicles become the mainstream.

2 Likes

I agree with but this is what the UK Gov website says
https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/temporary-imports

“6. Temporary imports
You can usually use a vehicle with foreign number plates without registering or taxing it in the UK if all of the following apply:

1. you’re visiting and don’t plan to live here
  2. the vehicle is registered and taxed in its home country
  3. you only use the vehicle for up to 6 months in total - this can be a single visit, or several shorter visits over 12 months

If you become a resident or stay for longer than 6 months you must register and tax your vehicle in the UK – follow the steps for importing a vehicle.”

Therefore, I only comply with 2 and 3 not “all”.
Kind regards
Paul

1 Like

Do you have a link for that Paul? I think that there may be some conditions to their statement?

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/temporary-imports

Ah thanks. That is referring to keeping a foreign registered vehicle in the UK, not the basic act of driving one there.
So, one is UK resident but has a second home in France, buys a French registered vehicle or imports there UK registered vehicle into France and manages to get it immatriculated (see what I dd there :slight_smile: ). If the vehicle remains in France but is used for trips to the UK then back to France, that is fine. If the vehicle is taken to the UK and kept there for 6 months, then that is not OK. The vehicle must be registered and HMRC paid their duty.

No, it’s about driving one.
There is another thread on a different website where a chap asked the DVLA specifically. See below:
“I have a maison secondaire where I spend half my time and where I also keep a French registered car. I have checked with the DVLA to see if it would be legal for me to temporarily drive my French reg. car in the UK when I have to make an urgent trip back from France. The answer was unequivocal: “UK residents are not allowed to use a foreign registered vehicle on UK roads”. No exceptions allowed. Be warned!

1 Like

No quite the opposite. Wrong yet again. .

1 Like

Thanks Anna, so if I’ve understood correctly before I can use Franceconnect (through my validated La Poste ID), I need to get on the social security system or other agency to be linked in? My initial objective was to get my car registered, it looks like I need to first get registered with French government then.

Hello John… welcome to the Forum.

If you read this thread. (without getting fuddled)… you will notice that there is someone who has successfully gone through the entire process at his local Prefecture… using their computer link and with their assistance. He clearly lists what documents he took with him.

That might well be the way to go… for you as well…

anyway… checkout the posts for 1 day ago…or thereabouts.

Many thanks Stella

Paul, very informative thank you. Could I ask if you needed to get a certified translation done of the quitas fiscal?