New online car registration procedure

Hello Paul ,
Finally got there ! What a bloody performance Apply ,then nothing ,and all of a sudden it all happens ! I think I the Prefecture method although as someone said "it all depends which muppet you land on. It is a TVR CHimaera I have registered they don’t fully accept that they exist ,at least not on their computers but it is now done and thank you for your help.
Kind Regards
Mike Stanway

EXCITEMENT… almost 6 months to the day of demanding a document on-line… “the” document has been provided by the Prefecture…

The on-line system worked flawlessly… then seemed to have gobbled the dossier completely …and has been driving us mad… (well, driving me mad, all my on-line chasing/enquiries have ended in chaos… ).

Yesterday, the car-owner took his courage in both hands and went to the Prefecture. He had all the printouts showing what should be available (but seemed just out of our reach)… and, basically, would not leave until someone helped him.

Phew… I am not keen to go through that again… and shall direct everyone to the local garage, where they will do the necessary for a fee. I am quite happy to let them earn their money… :roll_eyes:

So, my reporting back is… if you still have a problem with ANTS… take all your docs to the Prefecture and ask their help… :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

1 Like

Yes, with absolutely no problem save that the “inspector” who handled the electronic paperwork at first refused to accept my 3rd party-obtained VCertificate of Conformity, insisting on a Manufacturer’s Certificate. When I replied pointing out the French law relating to cars previously registered in another EU country, he immediately backed down, thanked me for drawing his attention to this, and processed my papers quickly and efficiently. If you follow the directions on the ANTS site, the procedure is smooth and quite efficient.

Hope that helps.

Mel Anthony

1 Like

Mel, could you quote the french law which states this? I have read the government site & it clearly says that a coc must come from the manufacturer. This is from the service-public.fr site concerning the registration of used cars brought in from another EU country -
“Si l’ancienne carte grise ne peut pas être fournie ou si elle ne comporte pas toutes les informations techniques nécessaires à l’immatriculation, justificatif complémentaire correspondant à votre situation : Certificat de conformité européen délivré par le constructeur, édité si nécessaire dans une autre langue que le français”
It could be useful to be able to quote this law if others have a similar problem.

My first car was a Riley Elf, which leaked.
Martin Lilley was one of my friends and he was always saying that they could do anything with fibre glass, so I challenged him to stop the leaks on my car.
I took it along to the factory and they had a go.
It lasted for quite a time but eventually I bought an MG roadster.
I also remember that Martin bought the Sergeant Pepper album on the first day it came out and we had a great time listening to that.
Loads of memories of TVR.

Hi Mark,

EC Directive number 2007/C68/04 clearly states that if a vehicle is or has been already registered in an EU member state, it does not need a further manufacturer’s certificate of conformity to be acceptable for subsequent registration in another EU member state.

Hope that helps.

Bien Cordialement,

Mel ANTHONY

1 Like

I presume that your V5 had the correct EU conformity code on it. If it did not the French authorities are entitled to demand a CoC.
A car being registered in the UK is no guarantee that it will be acceptable in France. The U.K. allows Grey Imports from the USA and the far and Middle East, these vehicles will not be have a CoC and of course many vehicles registered in the U.K. are pre CoC.

You are right, it will not need a further one but you will need to present the one originally issued. As it is originally retained by the registration authorities a copy has to be obtained.
Even this should not be necessary except for the fact that DVLA often omit data from the V5C which, while not being a problem in the UK, means that it may not contain “all the technical information necessary for registration” as required by the french.
It still does not seem fair but this need for a copy is still common . The UK government say "If the vehicle’s registered in the EU

Get a European Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer to show you have approval for an EU-registered vehicle.

You also have to get a certificate of Mutual Recognition if it’s a left hand drive vehicle.

I have obtained immatriculation within the past 18 months for 2 vehicles previously registered in the UK, in both cases with a European COC and not a manufacturer’s original or later COC. All I did was quote the EU regulation!

I cannot speak for the views or experience of anyone else…

I have no idea what codes were on the V5s.

I have obtained immatriculation within the past 18 months for 2 vehicles previously registered in the UK, in both cases with a European COC and not a manufacturer’s original or later COC. All I did was quote the EU regulation!

I cannot speak for the views or experience of anyone else…

I keep going round in circles. The seller has completed all that he needs to do online but I get no further than making the request. I get an error message says that I cannot make that request at this time but no further explanation. I’ve sent a message to the ANTS contact mail and await a response. I’m told that everyone is finding this process very difficult and that finding a garage to help is the only solution. Has anyone any other ideas?

Marie-Suzanne, Welcome to the Forum. Please amend your Registration to show your Full Name as per our T&C’s

If you are not sure how to do that, simply put your Full Name here and I will amend the page for you…

Cheers

My full name is Marie-Suzanne Knott

Hi Marie-Suzanne… a little information would be useful…

Are you a French Resident… or just here on holiday from time to time…?

When did you buy the vehicle ?? I’m just wondering if the Info from the Seller needs time to get through the system. I really have no idea, just wondering.

I’m sure someone will chime in soon.

Hello Stella,

We live here in France but make fairly frequent trips back to the UK family etc.

We bought the car at the beginning of June and then went back to the UK for me to have surgery. Before I went and after my op we tried to complete the necessary transfer online. As I am not registered here in France I went through the La Poste route to get an IDN. When I go into the system I get so far and then get an error message saying that I cannot process my request at this time. I’m wondering if, as I’ve gone well past the one month deadline for registering myself as the new owner it will not process my request. Only a guess but at the moment we have a car sitting on the drive, insured but which we are not able to drive on the road. It’s very frustrating. I tried the helpline without much success. Any ideas on how to progress?

Best wishes
Marie-Suzanne

If you cannot do it yourself, I would suggest you do use one of the businesses who are linked-in to the system…

I think someone has mentioned Norauto, Feu Vert and even local garages… If you ask at your nearest Garage… they may be able to direct you …

cheers

@Suzanne53 the assumptions that we will make are …
That you bought the car in France from its registered owner.
That the car had a carte grise in the new format.
The pevious owner gave you the PIN number in order to transfer the registration. IIRC this is a requirement to confirm that the previous owner agreed to the sale.
Can you confirm the above, or tell us what is different in your case?
As a non-French person you cannot use the ANTS website. Unless you are, or have been, in receipt of money from the Securitie Sociale as a foreigner you will nit exist on a govt. system used for cross-checking. The ANTS system will throw “Erreur 12” with no further information.
You can use any of the “professionels” listed on the ANTS website, look for “ou immatriculer ma vehicule”.

1 Like

That’s exactly the paragraph I quoted when ANTs refused to accept a Certificate of origin for a1992 Vespa. Once they’d recognised this, I received my registration within a week.

Hello Nick… belatedly… welcome to the Forum.

Please will you amend your Registration to show your Full Name as per our T&C’s… :relaxed:

If you are not sure how to do that… simply put your name on this thread and I will amend the page for you…

cheers

Hi Paul
Sorry, just looking for information on what to do once you receive the temporary carte grise? I just got mine online and it’s valid for 30 days, but I can’t see what I need to do next to get the plates organised. Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks, Mark :slight_smile: