New satellite, loss of channels

What ever grabs you Miriam. As you can see I've little interest hence the reason I'm here posting copious drivel. Tell you what though: My typing's getting quicker. Pity about Andy Murray! Guess he's just blown his chance of a Knighthood :-)

Heresey!! I’m watching Wimbledon as I write. You’ll have to run for the hills :slight_smile:

Blimey!!! Here's the world going to hell in a handcart & we now have over 900 posts 'cos people can't get English tele. in France.

Take my advice folks & don't bother. It's all doom, gloom & Eastenders & not worth watching. Oh No, correction! add the flippin world cup to that list. At least you can still watch the French footy team if you really want to that is :-)

Yes things are improving as I am waiting although it wouldn't pair I seem to have BBC Hd and ITV HD Now, not that I want them but they seem to be there. I will check the signal properly tomorrow when I have time to play without risking loosing this evenings viewing Signal will be checked again then also. thank you for your help so far.

Hi Claire,

The info I gave you was for pairing your sky card with the new box so if you're receiving all the encrypted sky channels which you subscribe to, then the pairing would have appear to have worked.You should receive all the FTA HD channels even without a card.If you have the family package you should get a further 39 HD channels plus the 3D channel(according to SKY) although I only have the variety package which doesn't include those extra HD channels, so not sure what to do if you have that package but are not receiving the extra HD channels..In any event I would wait a few days to see if any channels you think are missing, appear.. The best channel to use when measuring the signal strength & quality,and adjusting your dish/LNB is one of the BBC HD channels as they are the most difficult to receive..

The box arrived back to us today it got delivered to the Uk as it was free delivery there and my parents were there on a trip They have just got back and the Sky HD box is plugged in and working . I have tried to activate the HD as you suggested Michael but it didn't compute and asked me to call them which I haven't done yet. In the meantime every thing is working fine and all the subscription channels are all there. This new box says we have 50 % strength and 80% quality so I fell a little re alignment coming up however even with that reading the picture is much improved. I will wait and see what tonight's storm forecast brings us.

The trouble is that French law protects the citizen's right to information so no-one could prevent your obnoxious Brit from putting an eyesore just outside your living room!

If you're willing to try another LNB I can highly recommend the Octagon Optima PLL LNB which has a different design to all other domestic LNBs, making it comparable with much more expensive professional LNBs, yet an 8 output version can be bought for under € 40. It is particularly suited to low signal level conditions and reception of HD channels which are the most difficult to receive...I'll give you a link to the cheapest one I can find if you're interested and tell me how many outputs you want...2,4 or 8

Yes Michael, my husband looks at another forum & there is a lot of trouble at the moment. We bought a good dish (Triax) but can’t go any bigger without turning it into an eyesore. We have a completely obnoxious Brit living diagonally to us & he’s put up the most enormous dish on a massive pole which we now have as a view from the living room. Bet he has a good signal though! Also guarantee that he didn’t get permission from the Mairie…

Miriam,

I've seen quite a few reports from people living along the med coast who are also having problems with 1.2m dishes from time to time and it's known that there is null zone running along or just off the med coast, from which I can only deduce that, unfortunately, 1.2m is not just not big enough to provide 100% reliable reception, but then again not all 1.2m dishes are the same..some are better than others and the same applies to LNB's.

Ditto Wendy. No probs til yesterday. Weather perfect after storms last week.

1m dish nr Montpellier we had pixellated itv and bbc news hd and this morning back to normal. We havent had problems since dish upgrade til today. Clear skies.

We upgraded to 1.2 metre dish & have a Humax box. We’re just north of Draguignan in the Var (83). Same this morning. Zero BBC & ITV heavily pixilated. Sky news it is. I’m disappointed especially now with all the sport. Didn’t have to watch England’s shame at least!

I think your reply has been cut off, Jane, but thanks anyway.

I went on the internet and found a list of the channels available on the "bouquet anglophone" and can't say I'm tempted! Apparently, "BBC Entertainment" is the old "BBC Prime" which I think just showed soaps, which I'm not interested in. I suppose you can't please everybody all the time!

Yrefund3d if ever you wish to stop the tvou may as well go for it Vivien, the only layout is 49e for the decoder, which is

By worse I meant..loss of channels perhaps more likely to happen more often during the summer, unless you are able to improve your system. I don't recall what dish you have, or your location..

Believe you me Michael, ours can’t get worse. There’s nothing whatsoever tonight. BBC, ITV all vanished.

Thanks, Jane, I'm going to look into that - we get our telephone and Internet through Orange. But I would also like to know what those 8 channels are. I want to get BBC4 or equivalent. I loved the Scandinavian series and all the excellent documentaries and although there are some good films and documentaries on Arte, the choice is more limited.

Totally agree with you Tony..even though I am probably they biggest soap addict going..but hey I, ve survived nearly 2 months without them now lol. What we are going to do though is get TV through our Orange internet connection, and as it, s already included in our..forfait, can, t remember word in English, doesn, t cost any extra. There is a "Bouquet Anglophone" with 8 English speaking channels for an extra 5e per month. I would be interested to know if anyone has this, what are the 8 channels exactly, I know there is BBC Entertainment..whatever that is..

The 3 new satellites 2E 2F 2G were ordered together several years ago. They all have the same size transmitting dish to produce the UK spot beam. These satellites have a designed life of 15 years..There is no reason at all to presume that the signal levels being experienced now, and which haven't changed since late 2012 when 2F was put into service, are going to change...Next generation HD (UHD or4K) will be transmitted from these satellites in the not too distant future and reception of those transmissions could be more difficult than HD.

For anyone interested I attach a photo of the 2F satellite under test on the ground..the largest dish (approx. 3m) can be seen lower right. This is the dish which transmits the UK spot beam. It can be pointed, and remains pointed at the same spot on the ground within 0.1 degrees but the beam shape cannot be altered.