New tax system

I have always paid my tax by prelevement. With the new PAYE system just introduced I expected that to continue more or less as before, though I understand that the prelevements will be every month and not from january to october as before.
All my income is UK derived but non of it taxable there. However I have not received an ‘Avis’ for this years tax nor has the expected prelevement been taken this month.
I have emailed the tax office to ask why but have not yet had a reply.
Is anyone else having similar problems?

Malcolm… what did it say… on the back page of your French Income Tax document, received last Autumn time…

1 Like

It really depends on your type/s of income Malcolm as to whether Prélèvement at source will apply to it.

I didn’t get one. This was the ‘Avis’ that I was referring to. I would add that there is not one on my impots online account either.

My income is derived from UK pensions. All of which are taxed here. I have been paying the tax by prelevement for over 10 years without problem. I can only conclude that the introduction of the new system has somehow affected this.
I was just curious to hear if anyone else had had similar problems.

Can you see the one for the Declaration you made in 2017 ?? in your Personal Space in gouv,fr

Yes, I can access all my declarations and avis until 2017 but for 2018 only my declaration is in my ‘espace’ on the impots site.

Hi Malcolm… well, got me baffled… perhaps your local Tax Office can help you… face to face is often best IMO.

Good luck…

I always communicate in writing. Experience dictates that it is harder for them to deny anything that way!

Mmm… each to their own.

Personally, I like talking with a human being… eye to eye… to find out what is going on. :thinking: … Then I ask the name of whoever is giving me info… jot down a note of the details (name/date etc) … and then I ask if I can contact that person direct, if the “problem” continues/reoccurs… :wink::hugs:

Malcolm do you mean your 2018 declaration on 2017 revenue? The Avis for that should have been issued last Autumn as Stella has pointed out.

Thinking on my feet… could this lack of Prelevement be due to 2018 Income being “tax free” (to a certain degree, except for Investments etc)…

I have read somewhere that Income from Abroad cannot be taxed at source and thus will have to wait for the Declaration to be made…

I reckon it is something to do with the new system and Income/Pension from outside France…

Will be interesting to see how this pans out…

1 Like

Yes Stella - you’re right but…it doesn’t explain why no Avis for 2017 income declared in 2018.

That makes perfect sense to me…

If that is the case then I am going to have to ensure that I ‘stash the cash’. Un vrai ras du bol! It could otherwise be a very unpleasant surprise later in the year.

Well ours has been. We normally pay in 3 payments but this year it’s coming out monthly. On 15th Jan first payment was taken. All our income is from the UK.

Or - you can just make ad-hoc payments online based on your estimates.

Our avis didn’t appear last year as normal. Evemtually we went to ask the tax office and was told there was a technical problem with a large number of dossiers which were having to be re-entered manually. They told us it should appear by the end of February in time to pay before March.

We eventually got the avis a week or so ago…

And the prelevelement for our french income came out of the account mid-Jan. However for UK income they have cancelled the one we had previously set up so I guess we’ll have to do it manually.

Malcolm… as you suggest, just in case… why not put the amount you paid last year… safely in a Livret A or whatever… until such time as you find out what you owe and when you have to pay it. :thinking:

Judging by the queue in the Bureau des Impots in Dreux yesterday, yes. Just about everyone :slight_smile: