New to finisterre (and to log burners!)

Thank you David. Simon and I have now made peace and all is calm in our little part of SFN!

Bob

No probs! Apologies accepted. Perhaps one day we can be friends?!

Bob

I hope that it doesn’t put you off SFN Bob. It’s not been the welcome that many people would have expected! On a forum as well at a dinner party we have to understand that different people process information differently and that not everyone understands ‘normal’ social intercourse.

Thank you for your input Catherine. What was a lighthearted first post has turned into a lengthy exchange between two members one of whom seems to insist on their interpretation of the wording. I am sorry about this and would suggest, if you think fit, that you close this discussion. I do like to stand up for myself and I've no doubt that Simon does too, for his beliefs, so that this could go on for a long time! Life is short and we've no time to squabble.

Since writing this, I've received a further post from Simon with his apologies so I think that this discussion will fizzle out with no need for further attention. We are all at peace now! (I wish the rest of the World was.

With kind regards

Bob

Nice..... David - quite obviously you're allowed to accuse me of trolling on SFN - no surprise there. I steer away from personal attacks and comments but it would seem that I am fair game.....strange.

It would be also be nice if you could back up your observations of my views on French culture but - frankly I'm not sure anyone would give a jot.

However, you are right on one point - you've no idea why I'm here - so best not to make assumptions.

Thank you for your input David. Just for your information, Simon is completely wrong. Julie and I are not going to milk the system, think we are above the law, or any of the things he has already labelled us with and as for not making a commitment, what is buying a house in Brittany (not to mention joining Brittany Ferries loyalty scheme!) So, I trust you will believe that since we live in a commune close to your one, we do not propose to lower the tone of the National Park!!!

John Brian's post has got it right!

Bob

Crikey Bob! My sincere apologies - I have quite obviously completely and utterly misinterpreted your original and subsequent comments.

I honestly thought you were trying to work the system relating to the amount of time you could spend in France before being considered a resident for tax purposes. I've clearly lost the plot!! (again!)

In fact, you were simply referring to the amount of time you would like to, and are able to spend at your French house.

Once again my sincere apologies.

Pay no attention Bob. He's just intent on winding you up. It's just a form of trolling on his part. I shall probably get to sit on the naughty step for this pace Catharine. Sad really because sometimes I almost agree with him in some of his observations though why anyone with his distaste of French life and culture chooses to live here I Know not. Perhaps he couldn't get a Green card.

Simon, the sentence that you are quoting was in answer to your post wanting to know what I meant by the 49.999% and that was my answer. I am sorry that you have taken this to mean that we are "being clever by milking the system" or "ducking and diving to avoid any real commitment"

Simon, your comments were phrased in such a way that seemed directed at me and I feet somewhat insulted.

As for not making any sort of financial commitment, what do you think that our buying a house is then? Playing the system was your interpretation of our light hearted way of our saying that we would like to spend (at the moment) as much time as we are able in our French house. I doubt that we will ever achieve that.

So, as foreigners in France, please, please tell me just what my wife and I are getting away with?

Bob said:

It's just a little lighthearted play on the rules for residency in a country for tax purposes

Yet again we come across different interpretations of a post. When Bob wrote that he was going to spend 49.999% of his time in France I read it as he was going to make the most of having a holiday home just across the Channel from his main residence. Simon seems to think that it is shorthand for abusing the system and breaking the rules. Where did that come from?

David - I completely agree!

One of my core values is fairness and, because of that, I simply can't abide those (of whatever nationality or origin) who think they are above the law or are 'being clever' by milking the system.

To me (strike me down!!) it seems almost perverse that anyone should simply take the very best of France and yet 'duck and dive' to avoid any real commitment.

It makes me sad :-(

Surely there are people who fall foul of systems wherever they go? Some people seem to attract or invite frisson? Yes I know a few Brits (mostly now left or gone to another place) who ruffled feathers here but I'm pretty confident they would anywhere they happened to be. Similarly I could identify a reasonably large number of FRENCH people in our village who milk the French system mercilessly (not necessarily benefits cheats all of them but they know how to use the system to their advantage) and have caused all sorts of problems in the village with drunkeness, violence, drug abuse, irresponsibility with children etc and the Brits here are by comparison all quite normal.

@ Catharine

Two points. The first is you're absolutely right - we are all free to decide where we work, shop, obtain healthcare and spend our time. We just need to make sure we're doing it legally and don't fall foul of the legislation of the countries in which we choose to reside. If you like I can share some horror stories of expats who have done just that i.e. fallen foul.

Secondly - as a law abiding redisent of France I take exception at my fellow countrymen who think 'It's just a little lighthearted play on the rules for residency in a country for tax purposes'. I consider it a 'dig' at those of us who stick to the rules of our host country.

You are quite entitled to turn this into a debate about SFN Dinner Party behaviour policy - your call.

Contrary to Simon's experiences my own experience of having a house in Brittany (going back to 1972 and continuously thereafter) is that most of the Brit expats around here really enjoy living here and doing so gives many of them a real new appetite for life after working their socks off in the UK. As Catharine says the reciprocal rights are quite clearly stated and enjoyed by many Brits in Europe and many European expats in the UK. Most healthcare costs are picked up by the UK anyway, other than for younger people who will probably be working and paying income and other taxes, and social costs, here in France. Many of the expats here have very many French friends and griping is not on the menu. Yes of course dealing with life's chores and paprework in another language is challenging but there are lots of resources to deal with that. Which is where this conversation started, Good luck to Bob in his new venture.

@ Simon

Two points. The first is that last I heard the UK was still part of the EU and as such all kinds of legislation pertaining to freedom of movement, reciprocal healthcare and purchases made in member states, applies. We are all free to decide where we work, shop, obtain healthcare and spend our time.

Secondly and perhaps more importantly, SFN has a 'Dinner Party" behaviour policy which is clearly explained in the Netiquette post at the top of every page in the FAQ tab.

I would not expect anyone to come to dinner at my house and start having a dig at a recently arrived guest, or in this case a new member. This is not what SFN is about and there are plenty of other forums where members are free to make unpleasant digs at each other. This is not one of them. Thanks.

Yes Bob - just like any tourist does whenever and wherever they travel!

Bob, my beef is that I'm really not keen on the folks (unfortunately too many of them so it's not personal to you) whose sole intention is to play the system (aka 49.999%) so that they can avoid any type of lasting, or financial commitment whilst at the same time enjoying all the benefits of another country. I see many at expat gatherings who are only too proud to boast about what they are getting away with.

There are no residents on Earth who complain more when foreigners take advantage of their country - than the Brits. Any yet some Brits feel totally at ease doing it themselves - all over the world, since and long before 1952!

For info - although you probably already know this from your research - you're required to register with the French Health authorities for stays of longer than 3 months if you intend to stay longer.

In fact Simon, you have ignored to mention that we have been increasing the French coffers by travelling on French owned ferries, shopping in French owned supermarkets, French petrol stations, French shops, paying French local taxes, etc. I have been doing most of this this since 1952, when I cycle toured around France and have spent many holidays in France most years since that date. All that must have added something to the French coffers! All this whilst not using the French education or health services.

In fact Bob...you could say that you intend to enjoy all the wonderful parts of France - just so long as you can avoid having to contribute anything more into the coffers of the country you profess to enjoy so much.

Still....I guess you're not alone.....:-(

That should allow you to make another coffee between key clicks!