Newbies - potential advice

Its an opinion take it as such

factual information is required in this Topicā€¦ not opinions. Sorry.
Quite wrong to lead people up the wrong path when their quality of life depends on correct and factual data.

2 Likes

Well there is indƩpendent in its various forms, and there is salariƩ. I am not sure what other forms there are. To potentially work as an employee it is as I said

because one of the justificatifs you will need to provide as part of your visa application, is proof that your employer has obtained permission for you to work in France.

Hi Debbie

We live just south of the Cantal/Aveyron border and spend a lot of time walking or visiting friends in the former (have just returned from a few days walking holiday up there). My first thought on reading your mail, was to advise you to make preparations now for the winter, itā€™s beautiful at the moment, but because of the altitude and exposure, it will be much colder a few months from now! Iā€™d also advise doing some research on the best way to heat your property in the longer term - logs, pellet burner etc - lots of advice on SF.

If your main or secondary source of heating is a log burner, make sure youā€™ve got enough logs before winter comes - learn about log buying from a neighbour and get them to help you to estimate the volume you might need.

Hope that helps and that your relocation goes smoothly

2 Likes

Not yes no then :grinning:
The facts are find out for yourself then you wonā€™t be lead up a garden path.

Fairly minor issue. Debbie, you mentioned in your original post that you have a dog. Having moved to France last year, just post Brexit and during COVID, one thing we had definitely overlooked in the planning was the need to register our dogs here. We thought there might be an equivalent of a UK private sector Petlog, but of course here itā€™s a state agency, ICAD, part of the Ministry of Agriculture, with whom you should register. Your vet if/when you have hopefully found a good one, will help with the online form filling that takes place to effect this. It cost about ā‚¬9 per dog.

https://www.i-cad.fr/

1 Like

Very good point! Moving house is a time when dogs can get lost.

But donā€™t bother with pet insurance, very few people do here as vetā€™s fees are reasonable (and partly because no one bothers with insurance so not over-inflated!)

1 Like

SF is a valuable resource for being informed about the facts and the places to look for them, so your comment is somewhat odd, to say the least.
I would not discourage anyone from seeking appropriate help and guidance here. The SF moto is Live Life and Love it after all :wink:

Do folk include Dogs on their household insurance thenā€¦???

I only ask as I know of a couple of instances when dogs bit peopleā€¦ in our commune.
Both folk were given the necessary medical treatment. (One was a particularly nasty incident.)
On each occasion, the victim was advised to claim their medical expenses etc from the dogā€™s owner ā€œwho will be insured for such thingsā€¦ā€

That would be their public liability insurance, not perhaps the pet insurance which would be different and relate specifically to the animalā€™s health.

1 Like

I think you and Jane are at cross-purposes there Stella. Jane meant insurance to cover vetsā€™ fees - for the animalā€™s illness/injury. Third party liability as a separate risk - our home insurance does cover us for it (though we only have cats and hens, so no real risk there!).

Sorry @graham - posted at the same time!

2 Likes

@Geof_Cox @graham thank heavens for thatā€¦ I was worried lest someone leave themselves open to a ā€œclaimā€ for which they might NOT be preparedā€¦ phew.

1 Like

does it cover being ā€œhen-peckedā€ :thinking:

3 Likes

No - itā€™s just for cock-ups!

3 Likes

touchƩ
:joy: :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

.yea thatā€™s a different tthing. Civil Liability is standard in house insurance contracts here. Pet insurance ie for vets bills is common in UK but not here.

ISTR when we rented a place (before building our own place) in France, the cottage was insured by the owner but we were required to have a separate civil liability contract covering our tenancy, any acts which we were responsible for and (Iā€™m not entirely sure) covering visitors to the rental who were there as a consequence of our occupancy - not the ownerā€™s. A a landlord yourself, does that make sense?

Yes, thatā€™s their ā€œassurance responsabilitĆ© civileā€ which would be called upon.

1 Like

Yes. Itā€™s one reason we prefer French/german/swiss clients for the gĆ®te as we know they will have it. Itā€™s an issue with British people as travel insurance doesnā€™t quite do it. Most people ignore this, we just prefer not to market to British people!

And our long term tenants have to show a certificat every year.

1 Like

Hi @Debyweir,
2 points I would mention:

1. For currency exchanges, have a look at Wise or Revolut. I found these to be very good value compared to either banks or currency companies. They were always able to come up with better rates.
  2. As youā€™re going to be tax resident in France, make sure you take advantage of tax-free accounts such as Livret A, LDD, etc. Also look into Assurance Vie as a Tax efficient vehicle. UK tax free accounts such as ISAā€™s etc. Are taxable in France so make sure you have liquidated these before you become a tax resident here.

Best of luck on your move,
Yogesh

1 Like