Night Skies in 2020 - update 20thDecember

1 Like

I’m sure many of you saw this beauty… I certainly howled my heart out… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thank you Stella for posting this. What an extraordinary image and the amount of work that went in to producing it is incredible.
Izzy x

1 Like

Venus was glorious on the western horizon last night…

Tonight there’ll be a double-act - Venus and Mercury :slight_smile:

and who knows about Pollux and Castor…

I always thought my brother had made-up those names… :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

1 Like

The Dioscuri aka Zeus’s boys - weird because only one of them was Zeus’s son even though they were twins :blush: they were the sons of Leda (as in Leda and the swan) Pollux is the original name of the dog in The Magic Roundabout, the one called Dougal in English.

2 Likes

1 Like

I got the dates wrong, have been out for the last two nights :face_with_hand_over_mouth: did see the ISS last night :clap:

there’s always something lovely to see up in the skies… (clouds permitting)… :hugs:

2 Likes

There are some excellent on line sites, telling where and when to find the ISS

I usually use Spot the Station.
23.10 tonight but only for 3mins.

Spot the Station is my favourite

1 Like

Not a cloud in the sky. If I used zoom I could not capture the moon and the chateau :weary:

3 Likes

Strawberries anyone… ???

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/june-full-moon-2020-the-strawberry-moon-brings-a-penumbral-lunar-eclipse/ar-BB14WimS

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2020-june-5

Rare sighting shortly after sunset Monday 21 December 2020

1 Like
1 Like

Moon set is looking like sunset, just now!

1 Like

The nearly full moon is now swamping the sky with light, making astrophotography a no-no. Roll on the dark nights to come… but only those without frost, snow, rain or dew !

No, no, not quite :smile:. I did the pinwheel galaxy (M33) night before last at 86% moon. No problem. It’s a quite faint galaxy, so I think I’ll need another night to get a decent image. I’m lucky though, as I live in bortle 3 skies and can image from my back garden.

Well done!

I’m not really into astronomy (except of course looking up at the milky way) but thought this chart showing cosmic exploration was beautifully produced. Click on the magnifying glass in bottom right corner of the chart for closer views.

1 Like