No other Archers Fans,

I can well believe it !

1 Like

Another was in Mid Alantic Peter, one night I was a bit worried seeing a ship bearing down on me, in my wee boat, so I called him up on VHF to check he had seen me. We resolved that, then another (bored :slightly_smiling_face:) sparky ‘chipped in’, asking me to repeat my position, so I did, he was gobsmacked, so was I, he was hundreds of miles away. :grinning:

The sparkies’ job was quite often ‘quiet’ but I was never bored !

Some of the freak atmospheric conditions are amazing and it’s weird the affect they can have on a radio wave on any frequency.

1 Like

Always secretly envied the Sparkie, especially the freedom He had in Port.
I almost went to Wray Castle, when I left school, but ended up at Windscale doing an apprenticeship there, that got me to sea in the ‘greasy gang’.

I can’t, VHF is line of sight.

Dave, theoretically, yes in practice, no :slightly_smiling_face:

David, please believe someone who has worked in this field. Atmospheric and/or climatic conditions can affect radio signals, even VHF/UHF .

1 Like

As does the power of the transmission. I watched the film based on the Neville Shute book… :slight_smile: I just can’t remember it’s title. :frowning:

I will stick with Peters knowledge, and my own experiences, rather than the movies Dave :slightly_smiling_face:

Well we had time off in port IF there were no problems with the radio gear. Remember Bill, the sparkie was responsable for all the equipment in the shack plus things like Radar and other gear on the bridge including sat nav (yes, we had sat nav in the '70s !) ans facsimile and other electrical gear plus aerials and antennae.

I appreciate that you had the radio gear to maintain Peter, but I had forgotten you did the radar etc too, I had one of the early nav’s, a Decca, on the second voyage to the Med on one of my boats, but I think it only operated as far as St Vincent. A mate had an early sat nav, but didn’t rate it much.
Typical of me, I mastered the sextant just before they became ‘redundant’, (same thing with a slide rule), just before the ‘Sharps’ calculators . I had a Furuno Radar on my last boat, great bit of kit! Garmin were my favouite GPS sets, had a couple over the years. Made single handing really simple.
With the radar, sometimes wished I had the 'leccy to leave it on watch alarm, but on a small boat it was too much.

Many believe sat navs to be a more recent thing but we had it on a Ben Line/Ellermans container ship (75000T) in 1975. It was the size a chest freezer and a nightmare when it went wrong. Radar problems were common but Marconi had an excellent worldwide back-up team in most big ports and could deal with ost problems with the gear if I couldn’t.

I was with Ben Line before the amalgamation Peter, I can imagine sat nav would be a ‘nightmare’ to 'tinker’with!
Amazing how these things have been miniturized, I bought my Radar Set in La Corruna and fitted it there, great bit of kit, you wonder later how you ever did without it.
Which training establishment did you attend?
I suppose you know about Wray Castle.

I see Kate is not a happy bunny !!

I went to Lowetoft COFE where they had a Marine Electronics section. I only lived about ten miles away which was handy. I was attached to East Ham depot at Marconi and did shore-side work at Tilbury and East Ham. Never heard of Wray Castle.

Kate ?
Surprised you don’t know Wray Castle Peter, not sure if it still is, but it was a College for training MN Radio Officers, certainly was still functioning in 60ish, I was thinking of going there then.
10 miles is V handy, was the London work after seagoing?

No, I worked shore-side before going to sea, only for about six months.

GPS?

If so then he probably didn’t rate it because the early GPS ones were carp. In particular early, non-military, GPS systems were limited to a positional accuracy of +/- 100m so pretty hopeless for most “sat nav” type functions.

I was only dimly aware that there were satellite based systems before GPS - ground based systems being more common. Peter, you don’t recall the name of the system do you?

Yes Paul, it was called Norcontrol - it broke down in Hng Kong in 1975 ish and a technician had to be flown out from Norway to fix it !

1 Like

LORAN Paul?, early sat navs were poor as I remember, took ages to come up with a fix. +/- 100 mtrs would have done me on the boat Paul :slightly_smiling_face:
Amazing the ‘cock ups’ with GPS though, saw a very big motor yacht, completely wrecked on a reef in Galicia, the chap had left Coruna, put a way point in for Finisterre (Spain) but hadn’t checked the chart, to make sure there were no hazards in between CRUNCH !

Didn’t know that one Peter, before my time :slightly_smiling_face:
Btw Paul, +/- 10miles, with a sextant was ‘not too bad’ :+1: