No other Archers Fans,

I wondered if it might be LORAN but that was a ground based system. Accuracy was in the ~ 1 mile range.

Don’t know anything about the Norcontrol system - looking at Wikipedia/Google the system I was thinking about might have been Transit. I can’t imagine there were many  birds flying in the 70’s.

Fishing boats were using Decca into the 80s.

What was the other system Peter that used charts, similar to the decca charts, but greater range, more for the ‘high seas’? May have been, primarily for aircraft ?

No idea mate, I can recall Decca tho’.

1 Like

I’ve been following this thread with growing interest…
Found a little about it on good old Google…

1 Like

I will get back if, the ‘neurons click’ and I remember? time to get into me book for a bit! TTFN

Worst case of ‘Thread Drift’ I have ever witnessed!!! :rofl::grinning::rofl::rofl:

Maybe the satnags, LORAN’s, DECCA’s etc. will steer it back on track…
not that I am that interested in the Archers… :sunglasses:

CT

2 Likes

:joy::joy: Well, Bill started the Thread and he has been highly instrumental in it going off-course…at one point, almost crashing on the rocks, but just managing a tricky manoeuvre to beach his craft on the golden sands… (I’m trying to lead the Thread onto Desert Island Discs…:slight_smile: :slight_smile: ) All that chat about Decca :smile::wink::relaxed:

1 Like

Ha ha!!! Great one Stella :slight_smile:

Never thought i’d hear LGBT mentioned in The Archers !!!
Tom Archer will be turning in his grave…as for Jack Wooley !

2 Likes

If you aren’t interested anyway, why bother saying anything Carl, it’s of no interest to you, why not just ignore the rest too :grinning: :+1:

Why not let the thread take it’s course Stella, if anyone is not interested, well don’t look at it, I started it, if you don’t like the way it has gone, ‘scrub it’ :grinning:

Now then @Bill … I have already said that I am finding it interesting… I was merely pointing out that it is “your” thread and if you want it to go… wherever… so be it. Threads are open to go here and there… and they do…

It is true, that when Decca (DECCA) came into it, I was tempted to make a light-hearted comment about vinyl… and perhaps go on further from there… but, you will note that I did not do that… instead I have been looking and finding more info about navigation and am thus a little better informed than I was before.

I actually expected you to smile, when you read my jokey post…and you might even have come up with a David Jacobs quip…

The sun is shining (for once) and the whole village is buzzing with wedding preparations for tomorrow… let’s smile and relax, eh ??

cheers

:slightly_smiling_face: And Gabriel? I think it’s good these things are featured on these soaps :+1:

Blimey, old Walter would have something to say about it that’s for sure !

You shouldn’t get away from how society is at any given moment. The Archers have never shyed away from issues. Remember the furore when Adam 'came out for example '?

1 Like

I do Peter, and the single mother, abuse in relationships and other similar issues have made for an interesting soap, can’t stay knee deep in bull s’ only, seems we are about to get into dementia? another issue that needs airing :thinking:

Ah now Bill - My comment was made with my tongue firmly in my cheek and a huge smile on my face. Absolutely no malice intended, and I was quite enjoying the conversation re the ‘antique’ satnav systems - DECCA and LORAN I know well from my early flying days. And as for the Archers - I do catch it occasionally, especially on a journey in the car for work - but it isn’t a regular date.

The keyboard clearly cannot convey the humour intended in a post…

2 Likes

Ok Carl :+1:

Yes Bill, the dementia thread could be quite ‘telling’ as it’s something will affect a percentage of us…

1 Like

Yup, afraid so Peter, anything that helps reduce ridiculous ‘’’ stigma’’’ :slightly_smiling_face: