NO WOOD BURNER - Help and advice needed

re gas bottles: The 13 k bottles are long lasting and cheap but I have recently been told that having one would probably nullify my house insurance in the case of fire, for example.

Yes, absolutely. The link I put up is for a camping/fishing gas burner for use in an emergency. The intention was that Sheila could keep it in reserve in case of a prolonged power outage. Apart from heating, one of Sheila's comments was that they were left hungry and thirsty. A cheap camping burner would help in the short term.

Many of the modern paraffin heaters with timers, temperature adjustments etc also plug into the mains to function so would be of no use in a power cut.

Hi Sheila,

I have done extensive research over the years. You might wish to check out the following solutions:

1.The OLIGER Ceramic woodburning stove (directly sold to consumers and bypassing the regular distribution channels, so you end up with a much cheaper product than what the competition has to offer).

There are 2 lines one traditional (a little heavy for my taste) but also a more modern looking line. The stove has a heating system hook-up capability as well. The traditional stove has a 30 year garantee (I have never seen anything like it except maybe in Scandinavia with the traditional ceramic wood burning stoves). The newer line has been in production for 3 years only so they cannot yet offer a guarantee. However, the furnace is "DE DIETRICH".

Prices are very attractive.

2. The OKOFEN wood burning pellet furnace for heating and hot water.

I hope this helps. Best.

ChrisJ

Are you sure about that no condensation with paraffin Harriet

I have an excellent paraffin heater which has a fan (electric), adjustable temperatures, no smell (and in any case you can buy smell-free paraffin) and lights at the touch of a button. Unlike gas, no condensation. They cost about 200€ new though I was lucky enough to get mine second hand. I can't recommend it highly enough. You can get them at any Brico place and you will never be cold again.

It's also worth boiling a kettle first thing and filling a vacuum flask with boiling water for instant hot drink during the day. If you haven't used it by nighttime then reheat if necessary and fill a hottie bottle with this water. Immediately boil another kettle and fill flask, just in case, for the morning.

If you have a BBQ, remember you can use this under cover outside, if necessary.

Sheila,

Maybe best to invest in a generator and a few cables which will allow you run some of your kit. Diesel if possible but not a pre-requisite. probably 3000 W output. You can also take it with you when you move!!!

Hi Sheila

There is the Eco-bat fair in Paris starting tomorrow and a number of very good wood and other alternative heating systems will be on show.

http://blog.salon-ecobat.com/

Best regards

Tom

One of the problems with a flueless heater is condensation. I vaguely recall that burning any alkane not only produces the desired heat but also CO2 and water. I therefore agree with the adequate ventilation someone else mentioned which can be counter productive to keeping warm. A CO alarm would also be essential. The other problem is cost. You might be better just staying with electricity especially if your circumstances are temporary.

You must fit one or two carbon monoxide detectors if you go down the paraffin or gas heater route. Absolutely essential.

Buy a gas bottle heater from Bricomarche. They come in several sizes/prices depending on the size of room you want to heat. Gas is easier to "handle" than a liquid fuel, cleaner and safer. Its also easier to move from room to room than a heater with a liquid fuel sloshing about. Put on more layers of clothes in really cold weather and take more brisk walks !

Hi Valerie

I have one of those and it should only be considered for emergencies. The gas doesn't last long. Better off with a cheap gas ring and a half size calor canister.

If you do go down the gas/paraffin route make sure you have adequate ventilation. If the current heating is electric they might not have installed the necessary vents that would be part of any gas boiler installation.

Brico Depot has huge arrange of heater worth a visit..

Yes, yes Val, we have something similar but an a Calorgas one from our camping days. Invaluable, butane versions just as good for emergencies.

Don't know if you've considered something like this just to get some warm food/drink inside in case of emergencies. It says it takes a standard butane cartridge - don't know if they sell those over here. That would need looking into. But take a look - it's €13.65, can't see delivery charge. http://cgi.ebay.fr/GELERT-PORTABLE-CAMPING-GAS-STOVE-COOKER-WITH-CASE-FOR-OUTDOOR-CAMPING-ACTIVITY-/200850685725?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item2ec3a23f1d#ht_2465wt_1397

Thanks Val and I remember those early days of yours very well, especially when we hadn't heard from you for a couple of weeks (turned out to be lack of phone/internet). Looks like it's bottled gas heater for us. We only need to heat the living room. I priced those little bottle gas one-ring camping thingeys so we could boil a kettle or heat up a can of something but they are horrendously expensive.

Hi Sheila, reading your post brought back (recent) memories. When we moved in, this house was 100% electric - including the loos. Luckily it was literally a week after the thaw in February. We've only had 2 minor power cuts since then but it brings the practicality (or otherwise) of having all electric into perspective, especially when we couldn't even flush the loo. My logic dictated that in the event of a power outage at least with a woodburner I can heat water, food and a couple of rooms and I bought a flat top model for that purpose.

We bought a paraffin heater when we arrived (there was no other heating apart from 3 oil filled rads) and I must say it's proving invaluable now as I can switch it on upstairs to take the chill off. The 'pong' is minimal and short lived and it's a great back-up. The only drawback to the model we have is that it's electric ignition and control so obviously will be useless if the power's out.

We used to have gas heaters on casters in Malta which were very effective for the ground floor but the bottles are extremely heavy if stairs are involved. Also I don't know the price of bottles here so you would have to take that into consideration. Just make sure the hose and regulator and in good condition.

Gas, far safer and no potential smell.

Thanks Brian, but we are RENTING here. So, I need advice as to what we can do for this winter. Our only alternatives seem to be bottled gas or paraffin.