Capricorne Larvae Damage (noise in dresser)

We have an Oak Furnitureland kitchen dresser and it has developed a click! The click goes on all day and night and is only in one place - seems to be behind a fixed shelf. We cannot see any holes that would indicate some kind of infestation. Any suggestions what this might be please?

Deathwatch beetle by the sound of it.

1 Like

That sounds scary Stella! :scream:

They are tiny so nothing to be scared of, just take it apart, spread out the parts, drawers and have a listen. Youll soon eliminate the parts not affected and then just sort the little blighter out.

2 Likes

Possessed by the spirit of a Green Man?

3 Likes

My old director of studies used to call them ā€˜black watch beetleā€™ which I thought was marvellous and I imagined beautiful tartan wing-cases.

4 Likes

Do you think you can identify exactly where it is with a stethoscope? Perhaps then drill into it to kill the beast.

I am paranoid about these things and if it were my video it would have ended with the piece of furniture and every other piece of furniture nearby in flames in the front garden!

3 Likes

They are on the surface initially, just listen and catch them no hole drilling required. No need to burn, I am beginning to see a pattetn of over reaction

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I think itā€™s in the gap between the back of the dresser and the fixed shelf. Only in the one place.

Probably the larva 2 - 3cm long, of a capricorne . Le capricorne
We had just one, in an oak ceiling beam for a few years. We kept spraying and injecting any holes with insecticide. Then suddenly one day the larva fell out onto the floor. No more chewing misery since then !

1 Like

I would have thought larva would show holes in the dresser?

The larvae as far as I know do not make the sound, it a mating knock from an adult.

1 Like

Itā€™s a lonely death watch beetle searching for a mateā€¦ā€¦. If you can find it, so much the better. Otherwise aerosol products will probably sort it outā€¦.

1 Like

Conflicting views on what sort of bug this isā€¦ A lovesick deathwatch beetle (grande vrillette) or a capricorne larva ? The following info should helpā€¦ No love-sick bug could keep that noise up for several years. Iā€™m voting for a capricorne larva like the one in our beam, who chewed for several years before emerging.
https://www.rentokil.com/fr/insectes-xylophages/especes/

1 Like

Apparently lovesick males can make annoying noises for years - so my wife tells me.

8 Likes

Certainly it sounds very much like the deathwatch beetle recording (thanks @JaneJones ) There is that sense of listening to a ticking clock - clean / crisp sound.
@Fleur The capricorne sound - larvae or adult - seems more fuzzy.

Itā€™s a beatle, I had this in my old house, get some xylophene and a hand held spray bottle, failing that, a 12 gage shotgun is the way forward, effective and fun,

2 Likes

Ah, but which one? My money is on Ringo.

2 Likes

If the tapping sound is regular and repeats itā€™s probably not Ringo. It could be Paul though.

6 Likes

I think thatā€™s known as the ā€œnuclear optionā€ in the small pest control world.