Noises in the roof

That and the stainless steel kitchen scrubbing things, thats what we used for blocking up rat holes in London.
Like humans when they get a piece of silver foil left on their chocolate bar and chew it.

2 Likes

Do they? Hmmmm…

1 Like

I am tempted to get one of those motion activated cameras just to: 1. See what it actually is. 2. Monitor their movements. because if as you say they ‘pop’ out during the day then closing off their entrance would sort everything out. As for any axe action that is strictly forbidden by my animal loving wife, apparently, ‘They will probably just move on…’ Not sure what that is based on.Hahahahahaha…

1 Like

Blink cameras are very good, we’ve a few of them dotted around the place.

Our ultrasonic device worked for our fouines. The tech works if you buy the right box.

1 Like

Cheers John, out of interest where did you source your kit?

Both on Amazon I’m ashamed to say Terry. The anti fouine boxes worked perfectly, more expensive than some others but they worked. I was very impressed with Blink (now an Amazon company) the cameras are wireless so you can put them anywhere and they upload good high definition clips to the web which you can view on any of your devices.

2 Likes

Get a cat?

Please don;t say that word I have a phobia.
My 82 year old neighbour said those have gone from here decades ago due to pesticides etc. Thank heavens. I cant even watch tv if one is in the picture.

Where do you get ground glass? does it have a special name?

Depends how much you need, small amount make your own, glass bead/stones between folded brown paper, cover with thick cloth and hit with hammer on a hard surface.
If you need large quantities you can buy it by 25kg bags on eBay.
Most is made by either using a crusher or the stuff used for glass bead blasting is a stream of glass into skips of cold water, depending on the glass temp it comes out like sugar and is then dried and graded.
We made thousands of tones a year.

Thanks John.

Used one of these to keep a large bin store free of mice and rats in SE1 London. They also make a smaller unit.

As I was dealing with rats, I used toughened glass that shattered into small pieces like windscreen glass or south London bus shelters

1 Like

What about the effect on dogs / cats John? Although the frequency maybe beyond our ears, is it beyond theirs?
I had experience of our Airedale showing anxiety which we didn’t understand for a long time. In fact it was because she was beginning to go deaf and whilst so doing certain sounds (egg timer for example) were extremely uncomfortable for her. Fortunately now she’s completely deaf all that anxiety has gone. My point being, certain sounds - like ultrasonic repellers maybe - may distress our pets and we don’t recognise it.

2 Likes

You can also have loirs, fruit rats which can make quite a noise.

2 Likes

I will pass this on to Jim. Thanks.

Having a problem in our loft above the bedrooms I have bought a couple of Humane traps. In 3 weeks I have caught 14, taken them some distance in the car and let them go near old unoccupied buildings.

14 what?

Not fouines at any rate unless Alex lives in a chateau :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Sue, no problem with that model and dogs/cats.
On a site in north London a resident bought a fox repeller model of ultra sound, that one drove dogs and cats crazy to the point one dog was vomiting. I could hear it and as I got closer to turn it off it was really hurting my ears too.

Meece!

1 Like