Noises in the roof

Dear little dormice, not at all ratty (I love rats, so clever, so engaging, but obv appreciate not everyone shares my enthusiasm).

Dormice are cute! But then they don’t tend to cause loft problems this far north so I can afford to say that!
Fouines are cute-looking too but boy are they smelly and destructive as well as noisy!

2 Likes

If only they didn’t have a nasty habit of gnawing through electrical insulation and causing fires.

Haven’t heard any yet this year, but I know that I have snakes around the place that hopefully are getting rid of the loirs for me.

We have western whip snakes - large and quite aggressive (I saw one keep our Airedale at bay once) but also benign. They like roofs and loft spaces. We’ve seen two courting on our tiles.

2 Likes

I have a model railway in my roofspace, with full railway sounds. Keeps a;; pests away

We have adders nesting under the plastic we put down to stop the weeds round the pool.

So sweet, I love the tiny newly-hatched ones so shiny and beady-eyed.

If only. I have found evidence of bird kill and where they have entered and it all points to martens.

We had the same problem 3 or 4 years ago and I must say they make a heck of a noise in the roof space - when I banged on the ceiling the critter (I believe it was/were also stone martin(s)) banged back even louder!! we eventually got rid of the offender(s) by placing a large swimming pool chlorine tablet inside the eaves at the point where we thought it was entering the roof space, this worked a treat and we have not had anymore problems since then.

Hope this helps, David.

2 Likes

I would love to hear this, our neighbours don’t tie up or keep fenced their dogs and they keep coming onto my garden, i would like to not have to fence to be honest.

In my case that would be putting it mildly!

Well, noises in the roof are one thing but gnawed car cables are another… I lifted the bonnet to replenish the washer fluid and just as I was closing it I spotted something furry where something furry should not be…

A close up shows he was gnawing the cover of the cables…

Looking at the cable bunches and connectors I’d say replacing them could be a four figure adventure chez MB. Time to buy a third …

I’ll PM you @toryroo

OMG what is it???

1 Like

Fox? Cat? Gremlin?

1 Like

Surely it is :rofl: :rofl:

Very comfortable by the look of it :grin:

2 Likes

Yes kind of - depends if it is asleep or resting in peace I guess :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think @John_Scully said it was gnawing at the time. We have a mutt who will happily lie gnawing a blanket with a contented look on his face until he has chewed out a perfect circle - bit like this one.

I’m sure it is an ex-rodent - from our experience with cables in the loft,house wiring is a very expensive way of killing mice :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

A ex martin I think. Not uncommon for them to chew car wiring I believe.

Does anybody know @fabien if comprehensive car insurance covers rodents? Luckily it my first experience and the damage is minor but wiring looms in cars these days, especially hybrids, make the Space shuttle’s seem simple.

I remember the days when my car had a wires to the ignition switch, the coil, the lights, the wipers and the heater motor (an extra) and not much else. And this is progress ? :laughing: We need a power/data bus (incorporating CANBUS) in cars ASAP. One wire to everywhere, for everything. USB C comparable preferably.

BTW, I’m a bit squeamish so I prevailed on my poor wife (who does watch the odd episode of “Hospital”) to remove our furry friend in case it burst open, like Alien. He was well and truly mummified.

2 Likes