Non-EU Birth Certificate Translations for RSI

Hello all,

On Sheila's advice, I've moved this discussion from Health to the AE Group. I've browsed all the topics here and read several related ones, but none that address my specific questions. My husband and I would be very grateful for advice or references on the following.

We each registered as AEs last year and have been added to the health system, but haven't yet received our Cartes Vitales, because we haven't yet submitted the docs they've requested.

1. Can anyone explain the difference between «légalisés» and «apostillés» in the following sentence:

«Conformément au droit international et sauf convention contraire, les actes de l'état civil étrangers et leurs extraits ou copies officiels doivent être légalisés ou, le cas échéant, apostillés pour être recevables en France."

2. Also, does that sentence apply to the original documents or to their translations, and only to the birth certificates, or also to the passports?

3. Has anyone who was NOT born in the EU gone through the process of obtaining, translating, legalising/apostilling and submitting birth certificates to RSI who could walk us through the processes and pitfalls?

If you happen to be of a.) South African and/or b.) Israeli origin, all the better! :) We are British citizens, but our birth docs are from these countries.

4. In particular, does anyone know of court-approved translators somewhere in the Pau-Tarbes-Toulouse triangle who can translate from English to French AND from Hebrew to French? We live in Maubourguet and, so far, we've been referred only to Paris for the Hebrew, which would mean that just getting the one birth certificate done would cost several hundred Euros.

We've asked around, including of the notaire who did our house sale, but no luck so far, and we're now very, very late in replying to RSI.

This is the relevant content from the letters of demand:


VOUS venez d'etre affilie au Regime Social des tndependants (RSI) au cours du 3 erne Trimestre 2012 surte a I'exercice d'une activite de travailleur indeoendant (Commeroat- Artisanal- Liberal).

Pour nous permettre de verifier les donnees d'etat civil qui vous concernent, je vous prie de nous faire parvenu obligatoirement les 2 pieces suivantes

• Un extrait d'acte de naissanceoriginal avecfiliation (Indicationdesnomser prenorns du pere etde la mere).

Pour les assures nes a l'etranger: Un extrait d'acte de naissance original avec filiation (Indication de noms et prenoms du pere et de la mere), plurllingue ou avec traduction etablie par un traducteur assermente aupres d'une Cour d' Appel en France ou par votre consulat en France.

Conforrnernent au droit international et sauf convention contraire, les actes de l'etat civil etrangers et leurs extraits ou copies officiels doivent etre legalises ou, Ie cas echeant, apostilles pour etre recevables en France.

• Copie d'une piece d'identite en cours de validite :

Si vous etes de nationalite etrangere :

- la photocopie de votre passeport pour les ressortissants de la CEE.( Ne pas omettre d'adresser le recto et le verso de la piece)

La-fourniture de ces documents est indispensable pour garantir vos droits aux prestations de sante et la delivrance de la carte vitale.


Big 'LIKE' :-)

Tracy, you must have come across the Randomly Selected Intuitive one. She has probably since been made redundant. No doubt that was the agent who nicked my file on her last day, purely for spite. I hope she has fun, assuming my identity. She can pay my taxes too, for all I care.

Tia, I've already gone through "the five stages of grief" in this administrative process. That's the only reason I can use the word "amusing" at this point. It's really all right to feel shock, anger, despair, denial, grief, loss, and the desire to make a pact with the forces of darkness in order to end the nightmare. You'll get through it eventually. Courage!

Well, let's hope I can continue thinking of all this as "amusing". It's the ony way to stay sane, I think.

Tia, you're welcome. Ah, now I see why it's an expensive venture for you. Good luck with it. And be careful when sending valuable documents to the RSI. They managed to process my birth certificate, passport copy, etc., and return them to me, but then somehow this information got lost on its way to the next RSI authority in the chain of command, and we're starting all over again, 6 months on. This is to establish that I am indeed who I say I am (!) After getting a visa, a titre de séjour, paying social charges and taxes, etc. since last summer, it is amusing to think that my identity hasn't been confirmed.

Random Stupid Idiots -or is that being a bit harsh? :-) Probably, I have come across the occasional helpful one, one being the operative word.

Hi Donna,

Thanks for your help! I did search for translators, but I must have used the wrong terms, because I didn't find that list. I have now located the seven who do Hebrew. Amazing that our notaire couldn't find them (after making us wait three weeks while they searched!).

BTW, I received an answer to the question re the difference between «légalisés» and «apostillés»: apparently the standard letter attempts to cover the bases related to the different treaties France has with various countries. EU docs don't need anything special. Non-EU docs may need to be "legalised" and Israelis docs need to be "apostilled" under The Hague Convention.

We have already got the birth certificates, issued in South Africa and Israel, but haven't been able to establish whether they are already «légalisés» or «apostillés». We contacted the consulates in Paris, but they require that we each go in physically with the documents. That's why I say it would cost several hundred Euros - we would have to take the train to Paris, which means travelling all day, and stay overnight, in order to see them when they're open, which is weekday mornings only, and take time off work to do so.

Just in the process of having my birth certificate translated for RSI purposes (30€) I have been in 'the system' for 8 years, with a carte vitale, the other day went for a routine examination at the hospital and was told my Carte Vitale was not working, on applying to the RSI to be issued with a replacement i was told I would have to provide copy of passport and a translated birth certificate, no explaination of why after all these you think the R in RSI stands for Random?

Tia, it shouldn't cost several hundred euros. I paid about 25 euros to get my birth certificate translated from English to French. I gave the translator a rough translation, there wasn't much text on it. If you go through an agency, they probably charge a lot more. P.S. I never figured out what "apostillé" means, but I don't translate legalspeak.

Hi Tia, I've had to go through this process. I found a sworn translator by going through their "annuaire" online.


I did a search and came up with 7 translators who are listed as translating Hebrew to French. I didn't bother filling in the region and department, you can do that yourself. You will be able to find an English to French sworn translator in the same way. You should be able to scan the birth certificate and e-mail it to them, and then they'll mail the hard copy of the translation back to you, with their official stamp on it. This saves you worrying about the original birth certificates getting lost.

I was able to get my birth certificate "légalisée" by the French consulate in the city of my birth, but it seems you could also get it done at the consulate of your respective birth countries in Paris or wherever they are represented.
Wait til you get the 'traduction assermentée' back, and then get your birth certificates 'légalisés' by the appropriate consulates. Hope that's of help.