Norman Coast

The Salon bit sounds a bit above me. However, I shall join your group and if my application is accepted I shall post all my artistic photos especially the ones of our pets and artfully arranged vegetables.

I'm having fun - NTBTS.

Again I agree, another photographic masterpiece. Is it in the Louvre?

I do! My photos of me paddling in the sea at Anglet is considered an artistic masterpiece in monotone.

No Ron, you have opened up a good discussion here. Nothing like a bit of vigorous exchange of views.

On the Darkroom!

Not narrowmindness- maybe you would like to read my reply as to how the group was set up?

Similar to mine except for the photography! No knitting or needlecraft then? The more the merrier.

Some of you may have read where Neil suggested I start my own group. I thought it a splendid idea so I am in the process of creating one. James has generously given me permission to do so.

Those who want to post images of their photographs, paintings, drawings, prints (those pulled by hand), calligraphy, sculpture, ceramics, fiber art, jewelry, fine art furniture, objects created from wood, or any other work that the artist considers representative of their art, are welcome to join my new group. I have requested that Neil kindly consider joining my group as well. I will continue to participate in this group but I will only show my two dimensional work that was created in traditional painting and drawing mediums. I hope that everyone participates in both groups so that they may share, educate, and discuss all things art. :)

Debra

Very nice image, well composed and calibrated.

Thanks, for sharing.

In defiance of all. Art is art.

If I had known that a simple photo would have cause such a brouhaha, I would have desisted.

My apologies to you, James. Art is my life and I am pretty passionate about it. And, as I mentioned to Neil, I believe a lively debate about art to be immense fun. :)

Actually, Neil...I am setting up a group but it won't be for just painting. ;) My apologies to you if I upset you but I am passionate about art and think a good debate concerning any aspect of art is great fun! Without differing opinions, art would never evolve and grow. Anyway, I love your work (two of your paintings are still on my wishlist) and invite you to join my group. I should have it up and running by tomorrow. Tentative name is The Art Salon.

Thanks very much Debra, very kind of you. As I posted before anyone can set up a group with James's approval and as you are member of SFN why not set up a painting group yourself?

Deep breath everyone, this is meant to be fun!

lol Not certain on the page. I guess it would be nice if the name of this group was the Painter Group. Then someone like me wouldn't expect more. However, the description on who should join this group includes graphic design and ceramics. Not all artists would consider those fine art but I believed their inclusion meant all mediums and styles were acceptable.

Hi Debra,I don't think Neil is judging what is and isn't art,just wanted to create something for painters to show their work,photographers having already their own group.As simple as that.Now there seems to be 2 discussion pages going,which is the one to post on?

This does seem to be your site, Neil, and I will leave it to you to do as you want.

Do you discourage hobbyists who create formula paintings from joining this group? Those who might paint according to the late television instructor, Bob Ross or similar instructors? There are businesses in the USA where one goes to make a painting…that will look very similar to everyone else’s painting…while drinking wine and socializing. Would you ban those paintings from participating in this site? If it was well done, would you be able to tell it was a formula painting? Perhaps you should jury everyone before permitting them to join this group and post photos of their art.

Based on all you exclamation points, I am definitely rocking your boat and I am sorry if I am upsetting you and your vision of what this site should be. What I am trying to say is that judging what is "art" and what isn't is subjective. And yes, furniture is included in major art museums as is fiber art. So, I believe that makes them suitable art mediums. I am rather democratic in accepting other art forms. I don't think exclusion makes for growth. A case in point are the Impressionists. Many people considered their paintings to be totally contrary to the definition of fine art. You know how that story ends...