Not just the UK Govt at fault, then?

In the future - if not already, this is what will affect most of us either as children of elderly parents and/or ourselves as we age.

If an animal was kept in these conditions, I have no doubt that the RSPCA would prosecute - and rightly so.

My soon to be 98 year old mother is 95% paralysed and bound bound.
Fortunately up until now, she has been able to afford 365x24 live in care.
I estimate that she has spent in the region of £350-400K in care fees over the past few years.
Her funds are running out, and she will have no alternative other than to move into a care home sometime next year.

This government is callous and a total disgrace.

The sooner controlled euthanasia is legalised the better.

1 Like

I feel for you Nigel. It doesn’t feel right to say my parents were lucky to die when they did - my Mum at home, my Dad in hospital but never having ‘gone into care’. But I do feel that in the UK now living to a great age is a tragedy, except for the very rich.

bit extreme for Tory Government ministers though… even though I do currently hate their regime with a passion…

3 Likes

You’re wasted here Graham!

1 Like

Interesting comparisons of UK and French government here - complete with some historical nuggets…

3 Likes

‘Had they never had the idiot Sturgeon and her nutty party they would have done so much better.’

Can you explain, please? Who is ‘they’? What do you mean by ‘idiot’ Sturgeon? Sturgeon’s party? Who would have done so much better? Better than what? As it stands ‘they’ have done famously well but would have done so much better than ? ???

@StirlingMouse good luck on getting an answer to those points :wink:

1 Like

As 67% of North Sea Oil lies in Shetland and Orkney areas and both Shetland and Orkney were both over 60% opposed to « Scottish » indépendance why should an indépendant Scotland have a share?

Aren’t they part of Scotland?

Because of the same principle that caused Scotland, NOT ONE of whose constituencies voted to leave the EU, to be an unwilling passenger on the Brexit train to the sunlit uplands.

1 Like

Be fair. You can’t blame France for off loading them. Ever since the end of WWII The British Council - cultural arm of the Foreign Office - offered free English lessons to anyone who wanted them all over the world. Its altruism (sic) has now come back to bite it in the bum.

That’s weird, I babysat for the head of the British Council in Damascus when I was an undergraduate and a chum of mine recently stopped being H of the BC in Japan and in neither of those places at any point were English lessons free - there are free online resources now but classes and doing exams has always been something people had to pay for.

1 Like

Indeed - English courses are one of the British Council’s main income sources. I worked (as a free-lancer) for the British Council in Greece, Morocco, Ghana, Myanmar (Burma) and London.
It’s a curious organisation. Officially, it is as Pamela says a sort of cultural arm of the Foreign Office, projecting ‘soft power’. It is also widely believed to be a cover for spying. The truth of this was probably only known at senior level - and probably not by its ‘official’ staff outside London. None of them ever admitted it to me anyway - but oddly enough, I did once meet a retired staff member who claimed he had indeed worked ‘gathering information’ in Russia - we were on a train, he saw and could read my kids’ Russian (cyrillic) tee-shirts, which I had bought them in Moscow, and we got talking (my kids had tee-shirts from cities all over the world - it was a thing I did). His work was simple stuff (at least as far as he was willing to say) - mainly involving just reporting what was really in the public domain anyway - reading newspapers, observing the movements of key people, assessing the ‘public mood’ - just letting London know what life was like and what was going on generally in Russia really.

Even if what you have written, is accurate (though on the basis of some of your wilder prior postings , I have doubts) one can hardly blame the British Council for the current refugee influx, which is to what I assume your ’ bite in the bum’ refers. The UK’s refugee problems are a consequence of C19th imperialism, English having become a lingua franca and the UK’s abnormally large ‘black economy’

4 Likes

Indeed - the real reasons some want to get to the UK are (generally in this order)…

1. They already have people in the UK (family friends or relatives) that have agreed to support them - the result of past immigration, in turn the result of past colonialism
  2. They already speak English - again the result of past slavery and colonialism
  3. They - and/or their parents, grandparents, etc - were painted a glowing picture of the UK’s greatness in a colonial school system
  4. The UK’s relatively unregulated economy (they don’t need an identity card to work, etc).
4 Likes